Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is normal oil pressure?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tornik550
I have a 2258 -4. My engine is a fairly fresh rebuild. I have been keeping a very close eye on my oil pressure because I had a burst oil pressure line and had to drive the car at 0 pressure for about one minute. My oil pressure is the same as before the incident. When the oil temp is around the max for my engine (210), I have an oil pressure that is essentially equal to the rpm's (divided by 100- so rpm 1000 would be oil pressure of 10).

I have a schadek 26mm oil pump. I use fresh brad penn 20/50 oil.

Do my oil temps sound reasonable? If they are low, how can I increase oil pressure?
SLITS
Everybody throws around 10 psig per 1000 rpm. By that you are golden.

210 oil temp is where it works the best.

Oil pressure is a function of the clearances that were built into the engine as far as I am concerned. When I built racing engines, they were built with clearances like a 300,000 mile engine ... 8500 rpm gave 55 psig at 220 - 230 oil temps.

Other experts can chime in with their numbers.
worn
QUOTE(SLITS @ Aug 16 2013, 03:26 PM) *

Oil pressure is a function of the clearances that were built into the engine as far as I am concerned. When I built racing engines, they were built with clearances like a 300,000 mile engine ... 8500 rpm gave 55 psig at 220 - 230 oil temps.

Was that large a clearance to cut friction and soak up shocks at the bearings? I agree that pressure should be within spec.
SLITS
QUOTE(worn @ Aug 16 2013, 07:21 PM) *

QUOTE(SLITS @ Aug 16 2013, 03:26 PM) *

Was that large a clearance to cut friction and soak up shocks at the bearings? I agree that pressure should be within spec.

it was used to keep from spinning bearings and it worked along with a couple of other things.

Decided to add that we finished the big ends of the rods out of round too. When sized, a shim was placed in the mating surfaces so that when bolted and torqued the hole was slightly oval. At high rpms, the big end of the rod distorts and the bearing shell edges would pull in, chiseling the oil off the journal so this eliminated that. Just old tricks back in the day.
eyesright
Page 20 of Haynes says SAE 30 @ 70C/158F @2500RPM should be 28-42 psi.

At 160F my engine is about 40. At 220F (which is where my oil runs after about 20 minutes) and 2500rpm, pressure is about 28psi. At highway speeds 3100-3200rpm, its about 23psi. Measured with after market VDO gauge.

High performance engines probably a different story?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.