Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Starter Woes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mblizzard
So my car won't start using the the key. Replaced the switch at the ignition but all I hear is the relay on the fuze panel click. Swapped relays and no change. Have push button wired in that works fine so I know all of the mechanical and electrical connections are good at the starter.

What am I missing?
Mike Bellis
Check the seat belt relay under the passenger seat. WHen they fail you have to jumper the 2 yellow wires together.
Mblizzard
The seat belt relay was already out of the loop but I have been working on the interior so that is a possibility. Will check.
Mike Bellis
It's also possible you installed a defective new switch...
Dave_Darling
Check for voltage at the yellow wire that plugs into the starter. Should have at least 9V when you turn the key to "start". If you don't have that, start going back up the wire to find where it disappears. It goes from the starter to the relay board, through the board (also splits off in there to go to the fuel injection) to the main wiring harness, the main harness may (depending on year) go to the Dreaded Seatbelt Interlock Relay under the passenger's seat, to the ignition switch, and from there back through the main wiring harness to the battery.

The circuits will usually fail where pieces join together, or inside electrical components (e.g., the relay or the ignition switch).

--DD
Mblizzard
All ready got 2nd switch. Both are good.

Verified the seat belt interlock is disabled.

But like Dave said things fail where they are joined. Cut open the seat belt splice and what do you know? It was broken. Fix and it started right up! Thanks Dave.
r_towle
Ed, from tangerine racing showed me a simple trick.

Put car in NEUTRAL

Take a quarter, remove the yellow wire from the terminal at the starter.
Touch the quarter to the large positive lead from the battery, twist it over to touch the small male spade bit that was covered with the yellow wire.
See if the starter turns over.

If yes, it's wiring.
If no, it's either the starter, or possibly battery cables and grounds.
pilothyer
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Aug 17 2013, 01:29 PM) *

But like Dave said things fail where they are joined. Cut open the seat belt splice and what do you know? It was broken. Fix and it started right up! Thanks Dave.

Congratulations Mike.........sounds like you will soon be ready for the sway bar set-up. biggrin.gif
Mblizzard
QUOTE(pilothyer @ Aug 17 2013, 11:47 AM) *

QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Aug 17 2013, 01:29 PM) *

Congratulations Mike.........sounds like you will soon be ready for the sway bar set-up. biggrin.gif

Soon Jerry! But I just have to take my wife for a drive soon or no more money!

My car does not have the tabs for the sway bar so I am thinking about buying new arms with them already on.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.