Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gas Cap
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sixnotfour
Did this about 13 yeras ago, fuchs center cap, Knurled alum. adapter, pressed on early fuel cap. Beats opening the hood.
old pictures.
sixnotfour
Pics would be good
sixnotfour
2nd
STL914
Looks good. Tell us how you did it. Do you have pics of the hood from the back side?
aircooledboy
More pictures of the hood??

SCREW THAT! MORE PICTURES OF HER!!!!!!!! laugh.gif happy11.gif monkeydance.gif lol2.gif

Somebody had to say it. aktion035.gif
URY914
Is there a 914 in that first pic???
sixnotfour
Posted on Dec 9 2004, 07:15 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No picture first post , previewed and lost it .
sixnotfour
I took it off to install getty hood ,fuelsafe,Gt cap
dmenche914
You got some sort of water seal to keep the trunk area dry?
Howard
Don't have my own pix at office, but here's what I use. Just a cover, you retain stock gas cap below. Easy install. Sure it will leak water but stock tray and drain line around cap should work well enough, at least in CA. About $100 ebay or local Dodge dealer.
Ebay cap
sixnotfour
that works
sixnotfour
No seal the funnel shape is pretty close to cap dia so most water goes out overflow drain . no water in trunk . drove it this way in washington RAIN state everyday.Never sprayed right at washing car though
sixnotfour
2more
sixnotfour
1more
sixnotfour
replacements
sixnotfour
SCREW THAT! MORE PICTURES OF HER!!!!!!!!    

I dont know 13 years, 2 kids, are ya sure? wink.gif

I love my wife , see just wailked in. ohmy.gif
STL914
Don't have my own pix at office, but here's what I use. Just a cover, you retain stock gas cap below. Easy install. Sure it will leak water but stock tray and drain line around cap should work well enough, at least in CA. About $100 ebay or local Dodge dealer.

Howard,

Does your cover have a cable release to open it or is it a pressure type closure?
Root_Werks
Cool cap Jeff! smilie_pokal.gif I don't mind much opening up the trunk. You get looks from people.

On the other hand, I have been thinking about taking a 911 gas door and finding some way to install it on a 914. I think the 914 gas tank is too high for something like that? Maybe why the factory didn't do it?
Howard
QUOTE(STL914 @ Dec 9 2004, 10:50 AM)

Howard,

Does your cover have a cable release to open it or is it a pressure type closure?

Neither. Pic doesn't show it well, but there's a little indent to put your finger in to open. Very similar ones on Mustangs, F150's, even Mitsu Eclipse. Go by a dealer and look.
URY914
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Dec 9 2004, 09:14 AM)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK than,
is there a 914 in the second post??? biggrin.gif
skline
QUOTE(URY914 @ Dec 9 2004, 11:58 AM)
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Dec 9 2004, 09:14 AM)

OK than,
is there a 914 in the second post??? biggrin.gif

agree.gif I didnt see a car in the first picture either. Did I miss something???
sixnotfour
THIS CAR, later that same day, Slants were way cool then. cool_shades.gif
skline
I'm sorry, I dont see a car in that picture either. Nice legs though.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(skline @ Dec 9 2004, 01:53 PM)
I'm sorry, I dont see a car in that picture either. Nice legs though.

She is a very nice lady. I have gone to Jeff's to pick up parts a couple of times and it is funny she knows what the parts are for! laugh.gif My wife will get to that point some day. biggrin.gif
McMark
Gas caps and porsche crests! You people must hate your front hoods. lol2.gif LOL!
boxstr
For a fuel door there are a couple of companies making them. One is http://www.haganauto.com/index.php?cat=Fueldoors
Another thing to consider is that in some states, Oregon for one, you don't pump your own fuel.
So you have have some felon who could care less about your paint job and spills or drops the fuel nozzle on your newly painted hood. One reason to keep the opening hood fuel fill.
CCLINASSORGAS
iamchappy
here is a pic of my install
sixnotfour
Looks Good cool.gif

Billet Flip Top 39.99 AUTO ZONE
ClayPerrine
Not being critical, but asking a question. Why do you want this in your 914? confused24.gif One of the reasons I like the arrangement of the 914 fuel filler is that it is under the locked front trunk lid. No one can siphon the gas out, even if they know where to find the filler neck in the first place. Plus, with the filer in the middle of the lid, you have to drag the hose across the lid to fill it, and you risk scratching up the paint.

I just don't see the point unless you are running a pure racing car like a 914/6 GT.
iamchappy
Actually I find I have better control of the fuel hose over the top than under, which has the ability to mar the top of the fenders paint. After installing one in the hood I prefer it, its way more convenient plus I was going for that 914 6 gt turbo carrera look. You can get locking or solenoid release fuel doors also if you need it to be secure. Here is a picture Qarl took of me last summer fueling up, as you see in the picture i wasn't being to careful worrying about the paint, next summer will be different after the cars beauty makeover.
Howard
agree.gif
Have one on V8 car. Flares, wing, yada, goes with look of car. And V8 with 12 gal fuel cel means lots of gas stops. This is just easier.
retrotech
I think that is a great idea, and looks great. I am just completeing the same thing, on my fiberglass hood.
With glass hood, I don't want to be opening it all of the time. The guys at the gas stations understand, and always let me pump my own gas. Its not a daily driver, so the occassional fill ups are fun. I think the days of people siphoning gas from parked cars is long gone, at least where I drive & park.
So the point is too have something unique, and functional.
At least that is my perspective.
Eric_Shea
OK... I'll be the only geek not commenting on your wifes lovely legs (ooops, sorry) but, can you tell me about that filler neck that's welded on? Is that a 100mm filler neck (very old bug/bus)? If so, are you using it any longer. If not will you PM me? smile.gif
STL914
Chappy or Howard,

Could one of you post some dimensions from the side and top edges of the hood to the center of the filler door for use that are considering this? sawzall-smiley.gif

Thanks. It would be greatly appreciated.
Howard
I can't help you there... non stock tank and filler.
airsix
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Dec 9 2004, 01:01 PM)
THIS CAR, later that same day, Slants were way cool then. cool_shades.gif

Do you know, the Miami VICE theme popped into my head the moment I saw that picture! laugh.gif Ah, the '80's. Good memories... sort of.

-Ben M.
sixnotfour
Ya ya we were all there just dont want to admit it !!
I get the impression I might be a little older than a lot of you guys, But there is no way I am is old as JP
URY914
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Dec 10 2004, 05:13 PM)
OK... I'll be the only geek not commenting on your wifes lovely legs (ooops, sorry)

No, I like them too.

And the fillers thru the hood, I' like that also. happy11.gif

Paul
Eric_Shea
But there is no way I am is old as JP

Is anyone? JP's older than "dirt" w00t.gif
Jeroen
got my Dodge Ram filler door of e-bay for $29 + shipping
thanks Howard for the pointer

cheers,

Jeroen
datapace
Jeroen,

Which one did you get, who was the seller? All the ones I see on there are like $90.

-bryan
Jeroen
the seller goes by the name "quick bid"
here's a link:
http://motors.search.ebay.com/_W0QQgotopag...osortpropertyZ1
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.