Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dude you got too much positive camber!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
jt914-6
Blowing through the finish line he looses control and does a bad job of parallel parking!! Ouch....a little JB Weld and it will buff out.... evilgrin.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
MrHyde
Hover conversion ala back to the future ??
jt914-6
Thinking air bag replacement will cost as much as the rest. Curtain and seat airbags.... smash.gif
jt914-6
Click to view attachment
Randal

And it looks like they kept right on racing, with the Camero in prime position to get hit from the other side. wacko.gif
jt914-6
They did stop it until the rollback got it out of the way!!! That 'Vette was the last car on course until it was cleared....
bulitt
So is that a stock GM spindle/hub? Did the bags go off because the front end hit the ground?
Woody
Seen the same car in the same position at one of our AXs but they managed to get four wheels off. Car went airborne sideways. Those cones look close to the curb.
bulitt
OK, I see the curb now.
jt914-6
Yes....stock ZL1 suspension. Side/seat airbags went off and not the one in the steering wheel/dash....side impact not front!!

Click to view attachment
Randal
QUOTE(Woody @ Aug 17 2013, 05:36 PM) *

Seen the same car in the same position at one of our AXs but they managed to get four wheels off. Car went airborne sideways. Those cones look close to the curb.

The cone near the drivers wheel is only 20 feet from the curb. That should have been called by someone before the event.
Andyrew
Im going to say poor course design...

But damn a ZL1 at that! I know my wife would go nuts if her Genesis coupe suffered this fate... Good thing she only drives the car with stability control on...
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Aug 19 2013, 12:57 AM) *

agree.gif
6freak
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Aug 19 2013, 06:31 AM) *

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Aug 19 2013, 12:57 AM) *

agree.gif

or maybe bad driving...to much car not enough driver. lol-2.gif

smile.gif
r_towle
That part should not be cast...geez.
jt914-6
As you can see by the last pic the parking lot has "islands" that have to be worked around. The finish always goes out the same place. There was a dog leg at the end of the course just before the timing light with shut down area being straight.
Yes, the driver is a novice in his first year. I need to ask him if he had traction control turned off.
Right front wheel had to be removed to keep it off the fender well getting it on the flatbed.

Click to view attachment
6freak
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 19 2013, 08:36 AM) *

That part should not be cast...geez.

I was just :poke:fun ya know pour n salt in the wound kick ass car BTW..at least he was on a close course and trying to learn the car! unfortunately its gonna cost him! and ill bet he wont do that again
smile.gif
Racer
Will be interesting to learn who will pay for the repairs and how much they will run. I imagine the Ins Co. will wonder why airbags went off.. which leads to revealing it was a "timed event" which will void insurance. Good times. Yikes.
jt914-6
The next autox at that location is in two months. If he is there I'll ask about the insurance and what he did.... popcorn[1].gif
GaroldShaffer
Was this a SCCA event?
jt914-6
Yes....SCCA autocross..... driving.gif
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Aug 22 2013, 08:23 AM) *

Then the safety steward(s) were not doing their jobs or at least not able to them correctly with the size of lot used. I know all to well the issues of finding a big enough lot to cover all of SCCAs rule for autocrossing. I have had to be the "bad guy" when it came to course design because of safety issues. Our region has a hard time finding big enough lots that the owners will let us use. The one thing I have learned is you need twice as much runoff room at the finish then you think. We had a guy a few years ago come through finish and slid over 110 feet backwards. blink.gif I still have no idea how he came through so fast, the course was designed to slow you down before the finish.

I sure wouldn't want to have to right up that report to SCCA national. This is what causes our insurance rates to keep going up every year. I know stuff happens and people want to drive fast, but you need to have a nice flowing design.
Randal
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Aug 22 2013, 07:04 AM) *

QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Aug 22 2013, 08:23 AM) *

Then the safety steward(s) were not doing their jobs or at least not able to them correctly with the size of lot used. I know all to well the issues of finding a big enough lot to cover all of SCCAs rule for autocrossing. I have had to be the "bad guy" when it came to course design because of safety issues. Our region has a hard time finding big enough lots that the owners will let us use. The one thing I have learned is you need twice as much runoff room at the finish then you think. We had a guy a few years ago come through finish and slid over 110 feet backwards. blink.gif I still have no idea how he came through so fast, the course was designed to slow you down before the finish.

I sure wouldn't want to have to right up that report to SCCA national. This is what causes our insurance rates to keep going up every year. I know stuff happens and people want to drive fast, but you need to have a nice flowing design.

Good for you being the bad guy. flag.gif

There should also be something else in play here.

Anytime you walk an event and see an unsafe situation you should report it to the head cheese. To be honest, I've never seen a situation where a reported unsafe situation wasn't corrected. The problems come when people don't know what to look for as far as unsafe conditions, so recommend everyone read Roger Johnson's SCCA presentation on Autoxing..
6freak
is that the only car that had a problem ?? if so its wasnt course design it was driver error which is the case most times end of story! the guy fucked up and its gonna cost a pretty penny to fix outta his pocket ,, hes a fool if he calls insurance company ...JMO

smile.gif
pcar916
QUOTE(6freak @ Aug 22 2013, 04:05 PM) *

is that the only car that had a problem ??

Yep, he was the only one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.