Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I finally understand the allure of a 6 in the 914....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
billh1963
Got the car a few weeks ago and have been holding off on making the official debut. It's a '72 with a 901 2.0 built up to a 2.2.

The car had been sitting for several years and needed a reseal as well the normal valve adjustment, tune up, etc. Bob Woodman and his mechanics did the work and said it's strong as any early 911 engine they've seen.

Yesterday was spent with my new Porter Cable 7242XP-HD and Meguiars 105, 205, and P21. That made for quite a day!

I took the car for a long drive this morning and I can say that I now understand the allure of the 6. The 6 makes the 914 everything it should have been. The sounds, the power, the experience is so much more than what you experience in a 4 cylinder car. I can't even imagine the experience of a 3.2 or larger! biggrin.gif

Here she is.....

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

chad newton
I'm with u on that. I drove my 2.0 4 for like a half an hour and parked it. That's why mines getting the 2.7. I'm not ok with mediocracy.
mepstein
agree.gif power that equals the handling. Once I drove a 3.2, the writing was on the wall. Still enjoy a cruise in the 1.7 but the 6's are a whole different story.
bandjoey
Someday... Ha Man, Where'd you get those wheels? What are they. Hard to see in the shadows.
Dave_Darling
Those are Rivieras with custom made covers. One of the members here painted them black and made the cover.

Is this the $5K conversion that Bradholio did back when just to prove it could be done?

--DD
pcar916
That car looks like great fun! I agree completely about the power/torque differences. But after having both a 2.7 E spec and a 3.6 in my car, I still get a thrill from driving a strong four cylinder car with a superb suspension. They're so nimble the ability to carry speed through the curves is a delightful thing.

A well engineered suspension, paint-peeling brakes, and money spent on track-time are the key to happiness... then add power!

I'll always consider buying and/or building a good four, but there will always be a six in the stable as well. I'm addicted to the sound... oh yes... the sound.

piratenanner.gif
billh1963
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 18 2013, 03:12 PM) *

Those are Rivieras with custom made covers. One of the members here painted them black and made the cover.

Is this the $5K conversion that Bradholio did back when just to prove it could be done?

--DD

No idea who converted the car initially...I bought the car from TimMartin on this site.

I've got everything for a 5-lug conversion (including 15" Al Reed polished Fuchs) which is next on the list.
Eric_Shea
Welcome!
GeorgeRud
Nice looking ride! I've owned an original -6 since 1977, when I sold my 74 914 2.0. Another 73 car came around that I bought and got back on the road. However, after a week, I took things apart and started a multi year project with a 2.7 engine and 915 trans. I do agree that the engine does make the car really come together the way it should have originally. Do you think that Porsche purposely kept the power down to not take the crown off their 911?
Eric_Shea
Do you think that Porsche purposely kept the power down to not take the crown off their 911?

George, George, George... what are you thinking? They would "NEVER" do that! av-943.gif
Mark Henry
IPB Image
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Aug 18 2013, 01:53 PM) *

Got the car a few weeks ago and have been holding off on making the official debut. It's a '72 with a 901 2.0 built up to a 2.2.

The car had been sitting for several years and needed a reseal as well the normal valve adjustment, tune up, etc. Bob Woodman and his mechanics did the work and said it's strong as any early 911 engine they've seen.

Yesterday was spent with my new Porter Cable 7242XP-HD and Meguiars 105, 205, and P21. That made for quite a day!

I took the car for a long drive this morning and I can say that I now understand the allure of the 6. The 6 makes the 914 everything it should have been. The sounds, the power, the experience is so much more than what you experience in a 4 cylinder car. I can't even imagine the experience of a 3.2 or larger! biggrin.gif

Here she is.....

Bill, i figured she would clean up nicely. I stopped by the shop the day they pulled out the engine. Very clean car, even nicer engine. he had that thing back together and in the car in just a few days!!! beerchug.gif
BTW - if anyone in the south east ever needs their 4 or 6 worked on, or anything from a 356 to a 911(their specialty), Bob Woodman is the place! George, his main mechanic has 40+ years with these. -
, my 2.0 is going in next month for new seals and a refresh.
(shamless plug for Bob's shop)
so, do you think you might just keep this one for a while, Bill? poke.gif
Hopefully i can get by and see it soon!! enjoy ! driving.gif
billh1963
You know I change cars like some people change underwear!

The 6 makes this the car the way it should have always been. With a 2.2 it's not nearly as hairy as I would think a 3.2 or 3.6 would be. However, the difference in sounds, power, torque, etc. make all the difference! smile.gif
dcecc1968
Beautiful Car Bill!
MikeSpraggi
Very nice car and beautiful color. Congrats.

A strong /4 is nothing to sneeze at and in the beginning, that was my goal. Some of them run like stink in vintage racing. My mistake was to get a ride (my first track ride-along) in the #5 Sunoco 914/6 GT with Gary Wigglesworth at Summit Point. The speed, sounds (oh that 6!) and cornering at track speeds had me smitten. What a slippery slope, but ooooo, how so goooood!
bcheney
Bill, Welcome to the 6 conversion fam!! You got a nice little car there! I saw that one several years ago...don't remember where excactly...All I remember is that I saved the link to his website where the entire story of the car is told along with pics and progress updates...Check it out! Can't wait to see her at the Tropical Ramble!

http://talking-dog.com/tim/914/
brant
to some extent its like a loud muffler on a car
the loud muffler makes you "think" you are going much faster and have "much" more hp...

on the track, a 4 is about as fast as a small -6
(after 2.4L the bigger -6's become faster)

the 4 makes better torque and is lighter/slightly more balanced in the corners....

the -6 slightly better at the end of a long straight (like the old lemans straight before the kink... miles and miles long)

but the 6 sounds faster, even if lap times don't support it
dlkawashima
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Aug 18 2013, 12:45 PM) *

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 18 2013, 03:12 PM) *

--DD

No idea who converted the car initially...I bought the car from TimMartin on this site.

I've got everything for a 5-lug conversion (including 15" Al Reed polished Fuchs) which is next on the list.

Tim's a NorCal guy ..... south SF Bay Area last I heard. Tim's car was the first I checked out when I was looking for a 914. As I recall it was very reasonably priced and I passed on it only because I was looking for something closer to stock.

Bill, congrats on the new 914. I'm sure you'll have tons of fun with it.
patrick3000
QUOTE(brant @ Aug 19 2013, 06:56 PM) *

the loud muffler makes you "think" you are going much faster and have "much" more hp...

the 4 makes better torque and is lighter/slightly more balanced in the corners....

the -6 slightly better at the end of a long straight (like the old lemans straight before the kink... miles and miles long)

Very nice ride, enjoy!

Well said, have both big IV and bigger VI. The 4 is light and nimble, while the six just screams. The 6 is balanced but you drive it with brut force and it slides at will smile.gif
JawjaPorsche
I am afraid if I drove a 6, I would never look at my 4 the same again. I will just imagine in my dreams! Fantasy Time!

billh1963
QUOTE(brant @ Aug 19 2013, 06:56 PM) *

I don't know about handling on the track...no experience with 4's or 6's on the track.

I can say that there is a definite difference between a 2.0/4 and this 6. The 6 does accelerate more quickly and pulls more strongly......
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.