Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CptTripps' Restoration 2 - The Grey Matter Build
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25
CptTripps
QUOTE(JRust @ Oct 14 2013, 10:18 PM) *

I've got a nice complete grey leather interior drooley.gif

Been holding off selling it but times are changing idea.gif

PM me...I'm interested!

QUOTE(jimkelly @ Oct 14 2013, 10:29 PM) *

I am not sure how easy it will be getting in and out of car with suede on seats??

I think I would stick with all leather, though I understand the keep-butt-planted benefit of suede driving-girl.gif

I think just having the centers as suede would be the best of both worlds. Keeping me planted, and letting me get in/out.

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Oct 14 2013, 11:30 PM) *

Yeah you got into the "hard labor" stuff this weekend didn't you? I was sore for days. Good job!

You did the right thing by nabbing the whole wiring harness. Read the fine print and you'll see Small Car will not take one if it's been cut. Found that out a week too late biggrin.gif . Its cool that the engine and trans are from the same car. Total compatibility. Don't want to deter you from modding that engine but it's highly unlikely that it needs a rebuild. How many miles again? It'll look much cleaner and less cluttered when you take the power steering pump and pulley off and some of those hoses and whatnot. I think you can remove the EGR stuff as well (I did). You kept the ignition key and switch right? The key is chipped I think and the car won't start with the stock ECU without it.

The center diff is worth $250-$300 on NASIOC. It'll be gone in a day or two once you post it. Sold mine immediately for $250. Apparently they are the weak spot for 4WD.

Good tip on the diff! I'll do that for sure!

The engine has about 60K on it. Small Car can't do the harness because it's out of an 06 and is "drive by wire". He said they don't work on anything newer than 05. I think I may be on my own with this...

Interesting that I need to get the key to make it work. This may be getting more complicated than I was expecting!

I plan on taking all that stuff off the motor and having it soda-blasted so it's cleaned up before I even bring it back to the garage.
Chris H.
Yeah I would grab the key and ignition switch (grab the whole steering column actually if you still have it). Pretty sure you need it. Kent mentioned it and his is an 01. Many folks are integrating the donor steering column into the 914. Mike Bellis' (kg6dxn) monster Audi turbo conversion is drive-by-wire and it turned out great. Don't let it scare you too much (said the guy with the 95 OBD1 car biggrin.gif ). Take a look at his thread. There's also the option to use an aftermarket ECU, which gets you out of the harness cutting/have to use the Subie key game and allows you to tune the car with a laptop on the fly. Someone with more knowledge will post a link to the place (outfront motorsports maybe?) where you can find Link, Stinger, and other aftermarket ECUs. They are like $1500 but Smallcar would have charged you $800 to cut your harness. Then you can sell the stock stuff also, even though I know cost isn't really your concern as much this round.

I'm out running around today but good luck man!
CptTripps
Hmmm....maybe I need to get over there and grab a few more things before I go too far.
jimkelly
I think sometimes with cars with chips in their keys, ecu's need to be flashed/reset somehow?
CptTripps
Ha. Forgot that I left the ECU at the shop too. Guess I'll need to run over and grab that too.

It'd be cool to have the ignition on the dash like the 911 and 914/6 if there was a way to do it. Hmm....
CptTripps
70lbs of wiring harness has been in the corner...staring at me...mocking me. I say "Screw you wiring harness!"

http://www.outfrontmotorsports.com/ems_computers.htm + $1,400 = EMS Stinger and the wiring harness to 'plug and play' my way to less headache.

Anyone else been this route?

Now I'm off to put 70lb of copper on eBay with the ECU.
badmiata
AEM’s Series 2 Programmable Engine Management System is another one. It looks to be a little bit more but is newer. Have you looked at what Cobb's acessport can do with the stock ecu? The whole idea of the key and transponder with the stock ecu really sucks. I was also tryng to imagain the key alla 914/6 in the dash. I guess you eliminate 914 key and wire it to subaru key?
effutuo101
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Oct 16 2013, 07:52 AM) *

70lbs of wiring harness has been in the corner...staring at me...mocking me. I say "Screw you wiring harness!"

http://www.outfrontmotorsports.com/ems_computers.htm + $1,400 = EMS Stinger and the wiring harness to 'plug and play' my way to less headache.

Anyone else been this route?

Now I'm off to put 70lb of copper on eBay with the ECU.

seriously considering this option.
I have a megasquirt with harness that I will probably sell. I need faster compute time and resources to tune. My squirt does come preloaded with a 2.0 turbo profile if anybody is interested. about 90% of the wires are complete and ready to plug and play.
CptTripps
QUOTE(effutuo101 @ Oct 16 2013, 11:51 AM) *

seriously considering this option.
I have a megasquirt with harness that I will probably sell. I need faster compute time and resources to tune. My squirt does come preloaded with a 2.0 turbo profile if anybody is interested. about 90% of the wires are complete and ready to plug and play.

Funny...I have 2 PMS from people telling me to look at the MegaSquirt kits instead of EMS.

PM me if you're interested in selling it. I'm just looking for something I can plug in and drive the car. I really don't know what I would need a faster computer for...
CptTripps
Got me some parts today! Getting closer!

Perrin Equal-Length headers
STI Oil Pan (so the headers fit)
Perrin Up-Pipe
Crucial Racing 3" Divorced Down-Pipe (After researching, this pipe is worth what I paid for everything.)
914Rubber.com "every damn seal" kit.
1Q of Por15
CptTripps
The quality of the Perrin stuff is really pretty awesome.

Very thick metal. Expertly welded.
DBCooper
Yeah, now THOSE are man-sized flanges.

914forme
Mine is a EG33 but Outfront wants a little more than the website would lead you to think. "All we need is the core wire harness for the plug ends and your cam gears
for modification. The price is $180 for the gear modification and $1700 for
the computer, wire harness, programming, and igniters."

Yep $1880, SDS wants $1800. MegaSquirt 3 Pro, and all the items needed to get it going. $1674 with lots of Ebay scrounging. Not sure its really a savings.

Nice score on the header, up pipe, and down pipe.

Oh and wear gloves for the POR-15,that crap is nasty stuff.
Chris H.
Those pipes might look good powder coated. Just sayin'.
DBCooper
QUOTE(914forme @ Oct 18 2013, 06:00 PM) *

Mine is a EG33 but Outfront wants a little more than the website would lead you to think. "All we need is the core wire harness for the plug ends and your cam gears
for modification. The price is $180 for the gear modification and $1700 for
the computer, wire harness, programming, and igniters."

Yep $1880, SDS wants $1800. MegaSquirt 3 Pro, and all the items needed to get it going. $1674 with lots of Ebay scrounging. Not sure its really a savings.

Nice score on the header, up pipe, and down pipe.

Oh and wear gloves for the POR-15,that crap is nasty stuff.

I did the harness and EMS Stinger from Outfront. Makes it easier, but you pay for the convenience. Have you checked Megasquirt from DIY Autotune, or better from Mario at the Dub Shop? I think they may be more palatable.

And those stainless header pipes are an easy polish. It's free, and you can change your mind later, get them coated.
CptTripps
I'll polish them soon...but I think I'm going to heat-wrap them, so I may not bother. I've heard that ceramic-coating is better though...and won't catch fire if oil gets on it.

I keep going back/forth on the Megasquirt. The Stinger is already dialed-in and works...that's worth something to me. Plus, I see a lot of guys with subie-914s that are using a Stinger...that counts for something too! True it's 2X as much...but I'd rather not feel like I have to mess with it. I've spent the last few days on the MS forums, and these people never seem happy...or to be running right.
Mike Bellis
Be careful with heat wrap. While it will keep the heat in and help with scavenging, it will also heat cycle the metal making it brittle.

Just about every header manufacturer's warranty is voided by using this stuff.

I had a set of 14ga headers on a V8 grenade on me. Both sides of the engine within a few minutes of each other while driving from SF to LA. I had them wrapped for about 12 months... sad.gif
jimkelly
(wrap) it is amazing, how daily, we learn about more things we never knew : )
CptTripps
I didn't even think about that. Maybe I'll just wrap by the area that's closest to the oil pan.

Headed out today to get Bigger injectors (650cc), fuel rails, and a turbo off of an STI. (Vf39) I want the fastest spool possible. If I go too big on te turbo, I'll spend more time in "lagville" than I want.

Then all I need is the engine mounts and I think I've got about 90% of what I'll need for the build.

I wanted "one last drive" today, but it's pouring rain and my flanges are still bare metal. Bummer...
DBCooper
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Oct 19 2013, 05:44 AM) *

I had a set of 14ga headers on a V8 grenade on me. Both sides of the engine within a few minutes of each other while driving from SF to LA. I had them wrapped for about 12 months... sad.gif

Ditto here, though on a motorcycle. Ceramic coating (on the inside) is supposed to be the real deal.

CptTripps
I don't think I'm going to worry about it. If I leave it alone, that'll be one less thing to go wrong. It's not like this is my DD, so I'll tinker with that later.

Another shipment of stuff showed up today. Got all my lug nuts and bolts so I can put the spacers and 17" rims on. Woot!
CptTripps
Got me a cradle today!
tdgray
Hey Doug... just happened to check the Garage out and saw your name... long time man. I can't believe that's your son... he was just born the last time I saw you.. time flies.

Great thread.... nice build for sure. That will be fun. I don't spend much time in the Garage now-a-days but I will make a point of ducking out of the sandbox from time to time to see how things are going. I'm still teener-less with one more project to go before I can even think about acquiring another one but will enjoy watching this for sure.

CptTripps
QUOTE(tdgray @ Oct 22 2013, 03:47 PM) *

Hey Doug... just happened to check the Garage out and saw your name... long time man. I can't believe that's your son... he was just born the last time I saw you.. time flies.

Garrett is 7 now....and the pic you're referencing is his younger (5-yo) brother Oliver. Time flies! Funny that the only part I saved from that sawzall party was the transmission that saved my ass a few weeks ago. Ha!

You'll have to pop in this winter after I get everything in full-swing. It'd be great to see you.
tdgray
OMG... that is funny... that makes sense as Spencer was like 5 or 6 when we "disposed" of that car biggrin.gif

He is now 14!

That is funny about that car... the only redeeming value was the wheels I got from you and apparently that tranny biggrin.gif

I just finished my TR6 (see thread in sandbox) and have the MCG left to go... love to come up and shoot the stuff with you or you come down and see the MG's and Triumph.

Let me know if you need help... Congrats on the second little one... hows the Doc?

CptTripps
Garage progress time! (See Mark...I was listening.)

Got over to the shop last night and worked to pull the EJ20 and get it to where I can put it in MY garage and start working on it. I'm actually thinking of leaving it at the office where I have a little more space to work. I won't have all my tools, but there's a lot more space here and the lighting is a ton better. Plus, I can hide it from SWMBO for a bit. ;-)

So....

Got the engine pulled, and safely in the back of my land rover. We used a crane to get it in there, and I have NO clue how I'm going to get it out of there on my own. I was thinking about letting the air out of the tires in the back enough to get it hooked to the engine stand I bought.
CptTripps
Parts fairy came...

Valve cover gaskets
Water pump
Tensioner
New bearings for timing belt
Timing belt.
Lightweight pully
Water to air intercooler, fan, pump, radiator
Turbo gaskets
Header gaskets
Uppie and downie gaskets
And some green vacuum hose for good measure.
jimkelly
did you take your LAST drive yet : )

you may need a second car idea.gif
CptTripps
Ha! Well...I woke up this morning to 3" of snow. So if say we're done for the year.

I'm going to take everything to the office in the morning so I can start building the motor there. I have plenty of space...and it's heated. :-)
fat73
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Oct 14 2013, 10:53 AM) *

Alright Mark...I'm in the garage!

Got to the "Donor WRX" today to start pulling stuff. I have NO idea how much of the wiring harness I'll need, so I just grabbed all of it. Every inch of wire from the entire car. I'm sure it's overkill, but I'd rather have more than not enough.

Ian told me last week "do yourself a favor and just send the wiring harness off to Small Car Performance" and I think I'm A-OK with that, after seeing the magnitude of what is needed for the wiring. There's 60LB of stuff here, and I'll bet I get 10lb back.

Also have most of the engine out of it. We just sawzalled the front clip so we could get a little deeper into it without restriction. I should have everything off in a week or so as I get closer to pulling the V8 out of my 914.

I'm toying with the idea of having someone else re-build the motor. Just to be on the safe side. I'd rather KNOW I'm starting with something that's solid. Besides, now is the time...right? I can also put some upgrades inside and add a few HPs in the meantime.

So...that's a little progress. Right?

Yep... Using Smallcar perf is a good idea. That's who did my 2003 WRX harness. Sent them a whole car harness and they sent me back a harness that fit in a hatbox. Stock ecu. I used renegade for about everything else.

Ed
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
CptTripps
That looks like a bad-ass build.

Who's gauges are those? They look awesome.
Chris H.
Ummmmm.....Ed?

Click to view attachment

DBCooper
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Oct 25 2013, 10:05 AM) *

Yeah? What? It's out of focus?

Chris H.
Well that and it's not centered. biggrin.gif
CptTripps
That's a pretty respectable top-speed for a 914. LOL...
DBCooper
What? Ah... yours isn't running yet... I forgot. At about 120 mine was nowhere near done but I realized I wasn't young and crazy any more.

CptTripps
Oh, my V8 will get there...but I'm not confident in the car's ability to stay together. Once I have this project done, I'm quite certain I can get there!
DBCooper
Aw, I forgot to add the little poker guy: poke.gif I had no concern about the car, my problem was all me.
CptTripps
Found a warm place to work on the motor...at the office!

We have a lot more space than were using, and there's a room in thr back that was full of junk anyway. Heated. Concrete floor. Next to the freight elevator. Perfect!
rhodyguy
is that a can of vernors on the floor?
rhodyguy
you joined today and your location is bhopal!!?? i'm not going to open that link for any reason.
mgp4591
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Oct 26 2013, 08:23 AM) *

you joined today and your location is bhopal!!?? i'm not going to open that link for any reason.

I dunno... maybe that Office of Disbursment in Calcutta really needs your info- you could be a millionaire!! av-943.gif
CptTripps
That's a spam bot.

I got a lot done this morning. Broke down the engine to all but the timing belt and pulleys. I broke a 1/2" breaker bar, trying to get the crankshaft pully off. Going back tomorrow and bringing a torch!

Also had fun with my new Soda Blaster today. That's going to be a useful addition!
mgp4591
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Oct 26 2013, 01:55 PM) *

That's a spam bot.

I got a lot done this morning. Broke down the engine to all but the timing belt and pulleys. I broke a 1/2" breaker bar, trying to get the crankshaft pully off. Going back tomorrow and bringing a torch!

Also had fun with my new Soda Blaster today. That's going to be a useful addition!

Some of those crank bolts I thought were lefty/tighty righty/loosey... Mebbe not... idea.gif
DBCooper
It was you asking about a custom harness for Megasquirt, wasn't it? Here's one from Mario at The Dub Shop, still on the fab board. I think it's for an EJ22, but not that much different:

IPB Image

Makes things pretty close to plug and play. I did the EMS Stinger in my car, but if this had been around back I probably would have done this.

jimkelly
tripps

I got this tool, you can borrow if you want.

i think it should have a rod welded on for a handle though for stability.

i believe it is for suby crank pulley removal.

jim
bulitt
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Oct 26 2013, 10:23 AM) *

The location of a terrible chemical accident in the 80's
Sorry, carry-on bye1.gif
CptTripps
DB: I got a deal on a Hydra EMS 2.7 over at NASIOC, so I'm going to give that a whirl first. I can always buy the stinger later.

Jim: Thanks for the offer. I am going to give it another crack tomorrow with some heat...and a new breaker bar. :-)

mgp: I had the same thought...double checked at a couple different places.
914forme
Counter clock wise, just popped mine off the EG33. Of course I have this nice 36" long breaker bar, and a flex plat lock I made out of a bolt and a piece of flat steel. Took nothing. I will say this sometimes it seems Japanese motors are not assembled by torque specs. I had a crank bolt on a Honda that took a 6' long cheater, thank you DOM, and another one that long to hold the crank still, finely with an extra 260 pounds of force it busted loose. Luckily it was in the car. But come on does it really take 1560 Ft. Lbs. to bust a crank bolt, yes it does.
DBCooper
Half inch impact wrench, which is how they're put on. Those wrenches usually rated at 300 ft/lbs, but the impact is the key in breaking those loose.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.