Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CptTripps' Restoration 2 - The Grey Matter Build
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25
CptTripps
I'm going for a whole "fighter jet" theme with the car, so I could have left it in primer and been just fine. (I DID think about that at one point...)

I've got to run to the house, and then over there to drop some things off to him. (spray bed-liner for the bottom and wheel wells.) I'll take more pics then and see what we're dealing with.
Larmo63
I LOVE the color!!! I like the 911 color too, but I can't wait to see this thing together. Killer.
CptTripps
I stopped by to drop some things off tonight. Overall, the body looks awesome. There dust in the paint, but it should buff out without issue.

I live the color. It's exactly what I was looking for.
914forme
So when are you adding one of these?

Click to view attachment

There are hereHere! Aircraftspruce

Or us an old computer joy stick. Thrustmaster F16 anyone?

I would go for the real thing from Aircraft Spruce.
mgp4591
With the right wheels and tires that combo is gonna look killer, and if you're as attentive to that choice as you've been to everything else in your post it's gonna knock it outta the park! Great color and great job so far! smilie_pokal.gif
CptTripps
Thanks guys.

I actually thought about a joystick like that for the shifter. I may still do it at some point, but that actually may add "labor" to driving the car...which I'm trying to avoid. It'd be cool to wire up the buttons for "Launch Control" and a few other goodies that I'm thinking about.

I spent all night on the wiring harness and getting everything mapped out and ready. I ran out of heat-shrink tubing for my Rhino label maker, so I ordered more from Amazon. I'll have it on Saturday and can work on finishing that in the morning before I run off to get the tub from Dan. I'm half-tempted to have him hold off on buffing it out too much. I may need to anyway after I have it in my garage for a week and walking past it. I'm going to look into a plastic sheeting of some kind to protect the paint until I get it ready for the final buff-out. Like that stuff that they have on the car from the factory before it gets to the dealer?
CptTripps
My weekend is starting off right!

Stopped by to see the body before I pick it up tomorrow. Dan buffed out one quarter for me, and it looks like a mirror.

He sprayed the Raptor Liner on the bottom, and in all the wheel wells. Tinted to match the body color. Looks great too! Should offer great protection from rocks and such.

Tub comes home tomorrow, sans hoods and doors. He'll deliver those on Monday. I wouldn't be able to use them yet anyway. I'd rather be able to get stuff in/out of the car easily.

Here is a sneak peak of the car in (gloomy) daylight.
rick 918-S
Nice beer.gif
914forme
That Raptor liner has a nice textured finish to it.
CptTripps
Spent the night working on cleaning out the garage. After that, I started on the hubs.

Got the studs pulled on everything and then blasted the rear hubs and painted them. Nothing is going back on this car that hasn't been cleaned and/or replaced.

I used 2 of my 2" spacers to seat all the studs. I pressed them in, then used an impact wrench to get them seated and straight.

So...I've got that going for me...which is nice.
CptTripps
Got the car back in the garage as planned. I bought some "crash wrap" to keep the fenders from getting scuffed up while I'm walking past it, until all the crap leaves the garage this week.

I marked out the area of the center support that I want to cut out so it's easier to get to the wiring harness, and so I have room for the cables to the transmission.

Got her up on her side, and got to work...

...then about cut my finger off with a cut-wheel on my grinder. So now I'm sitting in the ER waiting to get this stitches up so I can get back to my garage!
CptTripps
On another subject...I'm loving the Raptor Liner.
Larmo63
Dude, sorry about the finger. Heal fast, we like this thread!
CptTripps
Oh, I'm not letting 6 stitches stop me. Headed home now to get back to work!
PanelBilly
I got an owwie on my hand today too, but no visit to the hospital, just two band aids...
76-914
agree.gif . with Billie. If I can avoid an ER, hospital (read petri dish) I do.Duct tape and toilet paper makes for one Hell of a bandage. But it will heal faster if stitched. Doug, to what and how will you mount your shifter once you've removed that area detailed? idea.gif
TravisNeff
what color is that?
CptTripps
Color: Dove Grey. NOT a Porsche color. I wanted something different.

ER: the cut wheel went through my leather glove, and the nitrate glove. I could see bone before I even took the glove off! Check it out!

http://instagram.com/p/mI2xhCn9Cc/

Shifter: I'm adding cross-braces so it'll be lower and give me room for cables.

I've been busy trying to get the damn front bushings on. The powder is WAY thick inside. Now I realized I have the tortion bars in wrong, so I'm trying to figure out how to remove them.

I rebuilt the steering rack while frustrated. Bead-blasted the case then re-greased everything. Looks awesome now.

I also put Ian's cradle and mounts in. They're awesome.
mgp4591
Damn fingers, always getting in the way... glad you're not letting a little blood and bone get in yer way! shades.gif
ruby914
That is a PITA place to be cutting your finger. Try not to bend it for the next 3 weeks. sad.gif
Color looks great. Like a green monster hidden in the fog.
IM101
Wow, nice color on the cradle man! awesome progress!
CptTripps
Busy day!

Got the entire suspension installed and ready. I still need to hook up the e-brake before I put the rear hubs on. Just want to make sure it's 100% before I press them.

Had the front suspension on/off 4 times. The bushings were too tight, and then when I finally had it right, I realized I hadn't put the 930 tie rods on. Then I did that and after I got it all back on, realized I forgot the steering rack bearing and boot. So...that was the 5th time. Ugh. I burnt 4h on stupidity.

Installed the master cyl and the hydronic clutch stuff. I'm not sure I have it right yet, so I'll re-visit that soon.

My engine never made it today. I'm bummed about that, but I got a lot of other stuff done, so I'm not too upset about it. Tomorrow night, I'll do some of the stuff in the engine bay and get the fuel system plummed and ready.

But...I feel great about all I got done. Especially with only 1 1/2 hands.
Larmo63
Not bad for a guy with nine fingers......
914forme
Keep it up. BTW, what happened to the solstice mirrors?
CptTripps
Solstace mirrors may or may not make it. They need a of work to make them fit right.

Dan and his brother Doug stopped by with the doors and hoods tonight. They're hard at work sanding and buffing while I'm putting DynaMat in the interior. It's starting to look amazing. I'm real happy with the body.

The rear proportioning valve is a huge pita to put back together. I took it all apart and cleaned the gunk out. Made up a gasket out of an old pack of cigarettes, and left a note for the next guy. Now I need to get it in a vice to put it back together.
CptTripps
Dan and Doug (Dan's brother) came over last night to finish wet-sanding and buffing everything. They're doing a great job. I MAY have the car sprayed one more time, and then clear-coated, but I'll make that determination after they are done, and before I put all the rubber seals in everything. It's single-stage paint that can be cleared, so I can go either way. I really don't want to do it after the seals are in place though. That never works out well.

I spent last night on the wiring harness, and getting ready for the engine to arrive. (Still..) I also got the metal plate ready for the ECU to be mounted. I was planning on doing that later today as well.

The harness I have was meant for a hot-rod that had the engine up front, and the fuel tank in the back...so I 've had to take everything apart, and move a bunch of wires forward, and even more back. I'll re-wrap everything this afternoon and see if I can get it in the car before I leave for DC Friday morning. I have a pretty big list of things to do between now and then.
CptTripps
Cranked quite a bit last night while Dan and Doug were over finishing up the body work (for now.)

I installed Lava Mat on the back of the firewall to a: help with heat and b: look bad-ass. I still need to do the lower section, but the temperature in the garage was dropping and this stuff gets harder to work with when it's cold. Getting it worked into all the contours is important.

Here's a link to the stuff I got. The 4' X 5' piece may be a little big, but I'm planning on using it in the cabin if I can to help with heat from the radiator tubes

Amazon: Lava Mat
CptTripps
I also did the FG work on the speaker pods for the pillars. The holes were a bit too big for the separates I have, so I closed up the holes, and I'll re-drill and then cover in Alcantara.
CptTripps
I did a bunch of other stuff like blasting the slave cyl for the clutch, found all the locks and installed them in the trunks and deck-lid, installed the e-brake cables and checked all of that out, then I put the hubs on the front and back. I think I'm a little too long on the front studs. I'll deal with that later I guess.

Last thing I did was get the brakes started. Picked up a BUNCH of brakeline, and I'm mapping it all out. I put the hubs on, and placed one of the calipers...just to see what it looked like.

One last pic to show what she looks like all shined up!

Tonight I MAY have a motor to put in it. Still working out logistics. I've had more issues with moving motors this week. What a PITA.
cwpeden
Keep both hands on the tool, and dont remove the guard. Same thing with a zip wheel. Just lucky it didnt go further in the nail.

Click to view attachment
jfort
I enjoy this thread and am amazed at your work. Keep it up. Hope to make if over there in a Porsche if the weather would ever break
CptTripps
Thanks guys.

Yeah...I had both hands on it, it caught and swung around. the guard WAS on, but in the back position so I could cut the metal.

I'm meeting with my upholstery guy in a few hours to drop off the seats to be re-covered. They should look awesome.
2mAn
You're a madman!!! You're making great progress
Java2570
Wow, Cpt Tripps....this is one cool build! And I've found that I cut myself at least once every time I
do any work on my car....or it seems like it anyway! Can't wait to see this car up and driving!! Jon
ruby914
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Apr 3 2014, 06:28 AM) *

I also did the FG work on the speaker pods for the pillars. The holes were a bit too big for the separates I have, so I closed up the holes, and I'll re-drill and then cover in Alcantara.

"If you need a set with a different size, let me know." poke.gif biggrin.gif
Shoulda gone with no holes. So, what tweeters and hole size did you come up with?

BTW, are there more than 24 hrs in a day in Shaker Heights, OH?
I may have to move there.

"Cranked quite a bit last night while Dan and Doug were over finishing up the body work (for now.)"

Should this read: Did crank quite a bit last night...? biggrin.gif
CptTripps
Yeah...I know...I know. I miss-read that so I just took what you had handy. No biggie. Went with the kicker 6.5" separates. So the hole is about 3/4" too big. O-well.

Just dropped the seats off to be re-done. They're going to be pretty awesome. I'll wait to show you all what I came up with. :-)

Headed home to crank on the brakes tonight. I also had an issue with the rear hubs feeling like they're loose. I think they just aren't right enough. We'll see!
Spoke
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Apr 3 2014, 07:25 PM) *

I also had an issue with the rear hubs feeling like they're loose. I think they just aren't right enough. We'll see!

Do you have the spline installed and castellated nut on? Or is this a different issue?

This car is going to be too nice to drive.
CptTripps
QUOTE(Spoke @ Apr 3 2014, 08:41 PM) *

Do you have the spline installed and castellated nut on? Or is this a different issue?

This car is going to be too nice to drive.

I plan on driving the SHIT out of this car.

I'm using 911 hubs all around and the rears just feel like they aren't tight enough. I don't have the leverage to crank on them right now (no motor) so I'll investigate further when I get that going.

Tonight I spent the evening rebuilding all 4 brakes. I took everything down to a powder-coated frame and replaced every seal and dust cover. Then put the lines on them and bolted up the conversion parts and pads. The fronts are installed...rears are waiting for the brake rotors.
dan_the _body_guy
you better get cracking on it the 18th is coming fast. after all the 12-14 hour days i had on it that car better make it to hershey even if it has to be pushed there lol driving.gif
Chris H.
Weeeellllll look who it is....Dan the body guy! A lot of people want your number Dan. You did some great work on that car. Really nice job! beerchug.gif

And welcome.png
dan_the _body_guy
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Apr 4 2014, 04:34 PM) *

Weeeellllll look who it is....Dan the body guy! A lot of people want your number Dan. You did some great work on that car. Really nice job! beerchug.gif

And welcome.png

thanks chris, believe it or not the car was a real pleasure to work on and doug is a great guy to deal with. as for my number if anybody in the area wants to reach me my email is dfoulkrod1970@yahoo beerchug.gif
914forme
In the area, heck, I'll bring mine up on a trailer and rotisserie. You did some great work on that car. pray.gif

And yes I agree with Chris
welcome.png
CptTripps
Yup. Dan's my body guy from now on.

I'm in DC with my family this weekend, and in Vegas all next week, so I've got next Fri-Sun and the nights the following week to get it wrapped up. I didn't take pics but the electrical is about laid out and the ECU is back from being re-worked, so I'm closer than I appear.

I really need to work out the hoses and routing for the radiator. That's going to take some imagination and work.
dan_the _body_guy
QUOTE(914forme @ Apr 4 2014, 08:23 PM) *

In the area, heck, I'll bring mine up on a trailer and rotisserie. You did some great work on that car. pray.gif

And yes I agree with Chris
welcome.png

thanks stephen, dont forget your wallet if you make the trip. my friends at the paint supplier will appreciate the business, will i have more than 2 weeks to complete it? lol as ive said before i enjoyed working on grey matter it was nice to be able to help get it to hershey on the 18th. its a hell of a nice build, im looking forward to seeing dougs vision completed it should bring him many years of enjoyment
CptTripps
Drove home from DC this morning and just about met my motor guy in my driveway upon arrival. Good timing!

We got the motor unpacked and ready to attach to the trans. So that's what I did next!

After installing a new lightweight flywheel and organic racing clutch, I got everything put together and ready to go! Trans mated with no issues and the throw-out bearing snapped into place. Added the "magic flanges" because the time seemed right.
CptTripps
I lowered everything and had my neighbor and his son lift the car while I rolled the motor in place.

I'll get it jacked up and mounted this morning before I leave for Vegas. I'll be there a few days and then I'm back at this build until she starts.

My hope is, I'll be able to have it out to Matt's shop next Saturday morn to get the motor started and drive it home Sunday to install the interior. It'll be close. But I think I can do it.
CptTripps
No updates for a few days, as I've been in Vegas at a conference. I'm hitting it hard this week so I can drive it this weekend. Gotta make it happen!

Anybody want to come to Cleveland this weekend to help?
rick 918-S
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Apr 10 2014, 12:10 PM) *

No updates for a few days, as I've been in Vegas at a conference. I'm hitting it hard this week so I can drive it this weekend. Gotta make it happen!

Anybody want to come to Cleveland this weekend to help?

I was actually supposed to be in Cleveland delivering the 911 but I got a stay of execution until June 1st.

Nice progress!
CptTripps
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 11 2014, 01:16 AM) *

I was actually supposed to be in Cleveland delivering the 911 but I got a stay of execution until June 1st.

Nice progress!

Damn. That would have been great! Hope I'll see you then.

Honestly, I just want someone else to give everything a once-over so I'm not about to go down the road in a death-trap!
DRPHIL914
Doug, i'm not sure how you are going to get that on the road in a week! BUT you have some serious mad ninja build skills ninja.gif !
i hope all the electrical sorts out. it seems like that could be the only thing holding you back in the end. do you have the harness installed yet? wish i was going to Hershey this year, but seems i always have a conflict with C.E. conferences every april. - heck, its been a month since i started trying to get my brakes fully bled after replacing all the lines, calipers etc. so i hope that goes smoother for you than it has for me! - this might be the fastest build from tub to finish ive seen in being around the 914world the past 5 years! looking forward to more pics!!!!!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.