Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CptTripps' Restoration 2 - The Grey Matter Build
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25
strawman
As someone who has done the trailing arm reinforcements you have pictured above, I'd like to suggest you scrap that idea -- it makes 'em uber-heavy. Eric Shea's notion of welding in tubes laterally makes a lot more sense (I shamelessly copied his idea!). Not sure he's still providing that service, but it is much lighter; I ended up practically giving away the "clam-shelled" trailing arms.

Good luck with your project; you're making way better progress than I. I am almost five years into my turbo'd Suby project and keep getting sidetracked with other projects...
r_towle
If you can break a pinion gear clean off the shaft, you may want to think hard about going to a Subaru and look for a transmission that can handle that motor...

I like pinion gear breaking off.....cool power
CptTripps
Interesting call on the trailing arms. Hadn't thought of it like that...but I guess it would make sense.

I'll be doing the Subie Trans as well. Already bought the EJ20 and MT5 out of a wrecked 07 WRX.

Today's delima: Should I weld all these gaps, or use AllMetal to fill them?
jimkelly
I think the consensus will be to fully spot the entire perimeter.

is this the width gap most have to deal with when installing steel flares???

are you backing this gap with copper plate when you MIG it?

nice work wub.gif

grey black is nice, not sure I am fully sold on it, not sure I am sold on satin finish in general, this grey red combo is somewhat appealing too?

IPB Image
McMark
ohmy.gif Weld it all.
CptTripps
Most of the gaps between welds are under 1/2", so it would just be another pass to get it solid. I need to hit it with primer pretty quick before it starts to rain. (I really need to get the garage cleaned out!)

I'm moving towards snow-white, or dark grey. I can wrap a satin vinyl later if I want. The look if this 918 is pretty cool. I could do a white/green GT3 type theme like you have pictured.

Either way, I already have the calipers for it. biggrin.gif

CptTripps
Worked on welding up the gaps today. My welder took a shit after about an hour, so I'll need to get it fixed before I can weld anything else.

Also discovered that I can't use the 1" wheel spacers, because the bolts hit the inside of the rim. Someone suggested 110mm builds from the hub, and I may just do that. Seems easier.

Making progress though.
jimkelly
what wire are you using?
.025 easy grind?

gloss silver/grey and black, can't go wrong with that.

jim
CptTripps
I was using .23-eg, but honestly, I found .30 easier to weld with. (It's all about the settings.)

I'm really not that pleased with the job I'm doing. I think it has something to do with the motor going kaput on me. It was skipping which really messed me up a few times. I'm going to go over the whole thing and grind it all down to smooth. I won't sleep well until I know it's right.

The more I look at it, the more I like "Sport Classic Gray" as a paint choice...kinda like this.
Cairo94507
Terrific work and I love that sport classic grey.
jimkelly
here is what 2 panels of grey gloss rustoleum look like on my car.

I am using it to protect from flash rust temporarily and I wanted to see what grey looked like on my car and it is somewhat close to sport classic grey.

bulitt
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Sep 22 2013, 09:20 PM) *

I'm really not that pleased with the job I'm doing. I think it has something to do with the motor going kaput on me. It was skipping which really messed me up a few times. I'm going to go over the whole thing and grind it all down to smooth. I won't sleep well until I know it's right.

If you are using an extension cord make sure it is sufficient for the welder. An undersize cord will cause the intermittent wire feed you mentioned. Did you also check your wire feed roller tension?
CptTripps
QUOTE(bulitt @ Sep 23 2013, 08:08 AM) *

If you are using an extension cord make sure it is sufficient for the welder. An undersize cord will cause the intermittent wire feed you mentioned. Did you also check your wire feed roller tension?

Yup...checked both. The feed motor isn't spinning at all. I'm plugged directly into the wall. (Same plug it's been connected to for almost 10 years.) I think it's just time to get the welder serviced. I bought it used from a welding repair shop, so it's entirely possible it just needs something else. Like...a fuse? (Just found the manual...need to check this when I get home!)

The weather is getting colder...and my driving days are numbered, so I think it's time to concentrate on getting the garage cleaned out so I can get this project started in earnest. I've had my fun driving it this year, and am really starting to get the bug to get busy! welder.gif

The Subaru motor is getting pulled this week, and I should have everything at the house soon enough. I'm reading like a madman right now to get all the info I need so I can start building without having to stop too much.

Something else I did this time around that should make things easier: I put an old laptop in the garage so I can look up info without having to go back in the house. All I need is a web-browser, so an old MacBook ought to do the trick. I'm sure it'll look like hell in a few months...like a proper "shop computer" should. biggrin.gif
CptTripps
QUOTE(strawman @ Sep 22 2013, 12:44 AM) *

As someone who has done the trailing arm reinforcements you have pictured above, I'd like to suggest you scrap that idea -- it makes 'em uber-heavy.

Quick question on this: The reinforcements only weigh about 2-lb each. Does it really add that much weight? IIRC, those are about 15-18lb to begin with. Does another 2-ish change things that much?
badmiata
Really love your progress!!!
rick 918-S
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Sep 23 2013, 07:37 AM) *

QUOTE(strawman @ Sep 22 2013, 12:44 AM) *

As someone who has done the trailing arm reinforcements you have pictured above, I'd like to suggest you scrap that idea -- it makes 'em uber-heavy.

Quick question on this: The reinforcements only weigh about 2-lb each. Does it really add that much weight? IIRC, those are about 15-18lb to begin with. Does another 2-ish change things that much?

It's all un-sprung weight. The worst kind to add.
CptTripps
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Sep 23 2013, 10:29 AM) *

It's all un-sprung weight. The worst kind to add.

Gotcha. I guess that makes sense.

QUOTE(badmiata @ Sep 23 2013, 09:27 AM)
Really love your progress!!!

Thanks...although it doesn't seem like I'm getting anywhere just yet. Gotta get him on jack-stands so I can really start cranking.

I feel like if I took a week off work and just powered through, I could get a lot further. But then I think "If I finish too early, I'll just be pissed that the car is done, and I can't drive it in the snow."
jaxdream
This is what I done to my trailing arms , real easy to do with 1 inch tube, a little fat on the welds , but sound.

Jack
Click to view attachment
CptTripps
QUOTE(jaxdream @ Sep 23 2013, 10:46 AM) *

This is what I done to my trailing arms , real easy to do with 1 inch tube, a little fat on the welds , but sound.

So the idea is to cut 4-5 holes...put 1" pipe through them...then weld, and cut off the extra length? I could see adding 3 to each one, at 10-deg angles (for drainage and increased stability) but I'm not sure the weight would be that much different than the boxes. Perhaps I'm wrong.

Luckily: Trailing arms aren't all that expensive and I'll bet I could play with this concept and see how it works out.

Great idea...Thanks!

Update: Here's the thread I found. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=205604
jaxdream
No . set them up under a small drill press , used a 1 inch hole saw , cut in two spots towards the pivot mount. The hole close to the bearing area is the factory hole for the caliper adjustment. two new holes only , tube goes from outside to inside all the way through. Look at the pic a little closer , you'll see what I have done . Racer Chris did a study of reenforcing trailing arms a while back skipping the clamshell setup . His were a lot more refined than mine , but mine are functional as is , and like I said easy to do.

Jack
CptTripps
Got it...only need two.

Here' what I came up with real quick. Do you think this would provide anything additional, or is it a waste of engineering effort?

If I take each of the two and put them at opposing angles, this may be a way to add some additional stability. (Maybe...I'm no engineer.)

I put this illustration together real quick to try and show what I 'm talking about. The red tubes are new. (and it's not exactly to scale, but you get the idea.)
jaxdream
That looks great , if you have the ability to get the different angles , they should be a good way to address the flexing forces . I see that you are upping the horsepower , this should help in getting it to the ground. Racer Chris used some great ideas about strengthening the arms , search for his threads. If I recall ( yeah right ) he cut the arms in half , installed some plates inside at differing angles , welded them back together. It was a way of strengthening with out showing on the outside , something to do with the rules of a racing class. I'd say go for it , won't add as much weight as the clamshells.

Jack
CptTripps
I was thinking about making 2 holes at each side, at different points, than putting the pipe through at the angles. Welding up the outside, then grinding them down smooth.

I'm definitely NOT racing this car, so it's just for the street.
jaxdream
No racing for me either . I just had in mind ( where ever it went ) to do some mods that I thought would be more bang for the buck , this was just so easy while I had the arms off to do a 5 lug with 928 / 944 ebrake conversion . Heck when I do get it back together , I'll be inserting a 1.7 that I salvaged from another 914, talk about wheel spinners!!!! aktion035.gif

Jack
CptTripps
I've got a shit-ton of 1" and 1.5" gas pipe. I wonder if I can/should use that?
CptTripps
Couple more pics of the flares, and this weekend's trans swap.
pete
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Aug 30 2013, 09:10 PM) *

Just the regular PlastiDip Spray you buy from Home Depoti have the Glossifier spray too, and I'll put a coat of that on tomorrow.

My caps came in today...so I sprayed one to see what it looks like.

Do these Plastidiped wheels look as good in person as they do in the pic? Did you do them with a rattle can? What color is that?
pete
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Sep 23 2013, 01:28 PM) *

Couple more pics of the flares, and this weekend's trans swap.

What are you going to be doing with the pipes and the rear trans mounts? I'm working on a SBC350 conversion and will be needing soon. biggrin.gif
CptTripps
QUOTE(pete @ Sep 23 2013, 04:36 PM) *

What are you going to be doing with the pipes and the rear trans mounts? I'm working on a SBC350 conversion and will be needing soon. biggrin.gif

I'll have the adapter plate and headers for sale shortly. Actually, I'm driving to NJ in 2 weeks, and may be able to bring them out there if we can put a deal together. biggrin.gif
CptTripps
Funny...I make one post, and get 10 PMs about selling off my old parts. Looks like I have myself a cradle and trans hangers, so I may be breaking everything down sooner than I originally expected!

Started working on the brakes last night. LOTS of powder to clean up. Tried adding the "Porsche" to the calipers, but I think I need to rough up the surface first. After it dried, I pulled the vinyl off and half the paint came with it. I think I put it on too thick.

O-Well...glad I have more templates!
CptTripps
Looks like I've got just about everything I need to start breaking him down and getting this started.

Got Boxster seats, and I don't think I like them very much. I got a great deal on them, so I'm just going to flip them on Craigslist.

Found a Subaru cradle and Trans hangers...

Ordered the spline couplers from Australia...

Bought a set of adapter flanges...

Driving to Summit Racing to pick up my pedal cluster and master/ slave cylinders...

Got an MR2 shifter and ordered new cables...

...and the engine/ECU should be all ready for mech pick up later this week.

What am I missing?
76-914
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Sep 24 2013, 06:19 AM) *

Funny...I make one post, and get 10 PMs about selling off my old parts. Looks like I have myself a cradle and trans hangers, so I may be breaking everything down sooner than I originally expected!

Started working on the brakes last night. LOTS of powder to clean up. Tried adding the "Porsche" to the calipers, but I think I need to rough up the surface first. After it dried, I pulled the vinyl off and half the paint came with it. I think I put it on too thick.

O-Well...glad I have more templates!

Those look really nice Doug. You might get flamed by Erc for painting them, though. shades.gif
CptTripps
The calipers were powder-coated...the "PORSCHE" is the only thing I'm painting.

...unless he has an aversion to colored calipers in general. At that point, I'll just call him a racist!
914forme
Keep it up, Subaru Gears is pretty fast at shipping their stuff over seas. My little mail fairy dropped these off today. Ordered them Friday or Saturday, I can't remember. Man thats smaller than I thought it would be.
Click to view attachment
And this.
Click to view attachment

Way to keep plugging away aktion035.gif what are you using from Summit for the pedal cluster?
CptTripps
Holy Shit! I thought that thing would be the size of my fist! I guess size doesn't matter after all. :::rushing to tell wife the good news:::

Seriously though. That's awesome that it got te the US so fast.
CptTripps
Now we're talkin'

Got my flanges tonight. I should be able to use the Renegade axels I have now.

One step closer!
CptTripps
Not exactly progress on the car, but I spent 10hrs yesterday getting the garage ready.

Lots of stuff in Craigslist right now...hopefully the stuff on the right-side sells so I have more room to work.
jimkelly
hard to tell exactly what color this car is, but seems a version of grey.

IPB Image
CptTripps
I've been out of town for the last week or so in NYC and Las Vegas. Got home today, and plan on spending this weekend working on clearing the rest of the garage out so I can get her up on jack stands and start stripping the tub.

I settled on my paint color last week. I was originally going to do the Porsche Sport Classic Gray but ended up going a little darker than that. I didn't want it to be confused with Primer at all...and think this look will be right in line with what I'm going for.

So...I went to Sherwin Williams and bought the whole shooting match. Etching primer, 2K primer, and the basecoat (94937). The shop that I'll have the last coat, along with the clear done at is a SW shop, and SW is a client of my company, so I got a pretty good deal on everything.

Here's what the car SHOULD look like when I'm done. At least that's what I'm shooting for.
green914
smile.gif Looks like you are making great progress, it's going to look great.
McMark
Digital progress. Get out the the garage slacker. poke.gif
CptTripps
Alright Mark...I'm in the garage!

Got to the "Donor WRX" today to start pulling stuff. I have NO idea how much of the wiring harness I'll need, so I just grabbed all of it. Every inch of wire from the entire car. I'm sure it's overkill, but I'd rather have more than not enough.

Ian told me last week "do yourself a favor and just send the wiring harness off to Small Car Performance" and I think I'm A-OK with that, after seeing the magnitude of what is needed for the wiring. There's 60LB of stuff here, and I'll bet I get 10lb back.

Also have most of the engine out of it. We just sawzalled the front clip so we could get a little deeper into it without restriction. I should have everything off in a week or so as I get closer to pulling the V8 out of my 914.

I'm toying with the idea of having someone else re-build the motor. Just to be on the safe side. I'd rather KNOW I'm starting with something that's solid. Besides, now is the time...right? I can also put some upgrades inside and add a few HPs in the meantime.

So...that's a little progress. Right?
jimkelly
i'm liking your final color choice - glossy dark grey.

I read that small car performance has a DYI wiring kit for around $200 but not sure what it includes.

this guy may be a good source for a wiring redo too?
I reached out to this guy - jeff - and here is his reply.
Yep I do harnesses for people. No website just an ad on thesamba.com
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1434254
I charge $550 to modify and run on the test stand. I do have a few harnesses and ecm's. I charge $800 for it if I supply.
Thanks. Jeff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2TMiC6UVsY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WLY387meks
CptTripps
Decided to skip the Boxster seats, and took the seats I had in my basement to an upholstery shop today.

Going with a dark gray leather outer, and suede centers. Should take them 6-8 weeks so that's fine by me.
CptTripps
I knew I was in the right place when I walked in and they we're doing the interior on a Morgan. :-)
bulitt
What are they charging you for the seats????
CptTripps
QUOTE(bulitt @ Oct 14 2013, 09:35 PM) *

What are they charging you for the seats????

They're quoting them for me first...no clue! (Yet.)
JRust
I've got a nice complete grey leather interior drooley.gif

Been holding off selling it but times are changing idea.gif
jimkelly
since I now know that they have not started yet reupholstering your seats, I will comment.

I am not sure how easy it will be getting in and out of car with suede on seats??

I think I would stick with all leather, though I understand the keep-butt-planted benefit of suede driving-girl.gif

looking forward to your review.

jim
Chris H.
Yeah you got into the "hard labor" stuff this weekend didn't you? I was sore for days. Good job!

You did the right thing by nabbing the whole wiring harness. Read the fine print and you'll see Small Car will not take one if it's been cut. Found that out a week too late biggrin.gif . Its cool that the engine and trans are from the same car. Total compatibility. Don't want to deter you from modding that engine but it's highly unlikely that it needs a rebuild. How many miles again? It'll look much cleaner and less cluttered when you take the power steering pump and pulley off and some of those hoses and whatnot. I think you can remove the EGR stuff as well (I did). You kept the ignition key and switch right? The key is chipped I think and the car won't start with the stock ECU without it.

The center diff is worth $250-$300 on NASIOC. It'll be gone in a day or two once you post it. Sold mine immediately for $250. Apparently they are the weak spot for 4WD.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.