Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CptTripps' Restoration 2 - The Grey Matter Build
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25
CptTripps
I plan on having the brakes done by midnight, and if I can get the wiring and ECU mounted that'd be a great day.
tdgray
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 11 2014, 01:16 AM) *

QUOTE(CptTripps @ Apr 10 2014, 12:10 PM) *

No updates for a few days, as I've been in Vegas at a conference. I'm hitting it hard this week so I can drive it this weekend. Gotta make it happen!

Anybody want to come to Cleveland this weekend to help?

I was actually supposed to be in Cleveland delivering the 911 but I got a stay of execution until June 1st.

Nice progress!

Yeah let us know Rick... would be great to grab a beer and BS... If I can ever free myself from work dry.gif
CptTripps
Seats are done. :-)
rhodyguy
awesome, fast build.
Qarl
Love the green stitching. Nice touch!

dan_the _body_guy
get back to work! when youre finished putting the scratches and greasy paw prints on it from assembly let me know so i can give it a final buff and glaze before anybody sees it
CptTripps
I went in to the office yesterday to grab something and ended up smack-dab in the middle of an emergency that the team was working on, so I didn't get back home until about 9p. No worrys...I've been in Vegas all week, and still working on "west cost time"

Worked till 2:30am on wiring....and I 'm up to go finish the job. This harness is SO easy to use. I'm going to go back through and mark all the wires I used, and where to use them so others can do this too. Even the good instructions are a little tough to understand.

Garrett is helping with wiring today, and I HOPE to get the cooling system plumbed at some point too. Gotta figure out the size hose I need, then I'm headed to McMaster Carr to pick up that and a few other do-dads.
PanelBilly
Go speed racer, go!
76-914
I might have missed this part, but did you reinforce those wheel well cut outs? Looking good. I can't wait to see the total $$ build cost
Spoke
Amazing progress!

The only way I could do this much work this fast is to have started 5 years ago, stored all the pics, and release them in sequential days. Awesome!

BTW, how will you cover the openings in the center channel?

This is the way the manufacturer should have made it so things are accessible.

CptTripps
Spent all morning working on the radiator and finishing up the wiring. Also stripped the paint off the rear tail lights and got them re-painted too. I'm going with black on them because the LEDs are bright enough.

Oh...I also got the motor/trans in the car. Clearances are perfect. Plenty of room. I'll be able to get the CVs in shortly and then will work on how in the hell I'm going to get water back there. Hmmmmmm....
914forme
Doug, I have some concerns about your radiator mount. Most of the time they are mounted into a channel at the bottom, padded, and a set of brackets at the top that clamp them in place. The bungs you used are normally for the fan assemblies to be mounted to. At least thats what my rock crawler friends. They say that using the bungs will cause the vibrations from the car to rapidly flex at that point causing them to crack, and leak. Thats what I have been told. Now rock crawlers might see more forces being applied to their rads than we would. But I noticed that my stock rads all use isolated pin mounts at the bottom, and isolated pin mounts at the top.
CptTripps
QUOTE(914forme @ Apr 12 2014, 07:37 PM) *

Doug, I have some concerns about your radiator mount. Most of the time they are mounted into a channel at the bottom, padded, and a set of brackets at the top that clamp them in place. The bungs you used are normally for the fan assemblies to be mounted to. At least thats what my rock crawler friends. They say that using the bungs will cause the vibrations from the car to rapidly flex at that point causing them to crack, and leak. Thats what I have been told. Now rock crawlers might see more forces being applied to their rads than we would. But I noticed that my stock rads all use isolated pin mounts at the bottom, and isolated pin mounts at the top.

Good tip! Nothing is concrete yet, as I haven't welded the top piece in. The bottom bar IS for the isolation posts, and that's how I have them in place. I'll re-work that later or tomorrow when I go to Summit Racing to pick up some more (smaller) hose.

I've been working on lights for the last few hours. Got the backs done, and all purdy. Need to order the plastic nuts so the lenses attach right.

I'm really stuck on my rear hubs. They're (I think) wider than the 914 bearings, so I may need to re-do them before I can drive. Tightened all the way, there seems to be play on the hub. I'm at a loss.
CptTripps
Ok. I'm calling it a night.

Got the dash mocked up. Plates show up Monday.

Got the engine all wired up, and the wires routed to the trunk wall for mounting. I'll hook up the ECU tomorrow and get that tidied up. The distribution block layout might change a few times...actually, I know it needs to.

Engine bay is starting to really come together. A few more doodads to add before I take it to the engine builder so I can get the inter cooler plumbed and ready to roll.

It's getting there...
dan_the _body_guy
very nice! its starting to look like a car again, get with me after you get it running ill finish buffing before hershey trip
914forme
Doug, let me know what other odds and end 914 pieces you need, I am sure I have them hoarded just for your build. beerchug.gif

I PM'd you about the lens nuts.
CptTripps
Thanks Stephen!

Spent all morning getting the cable shifter installed and hooked up. Now I'm on the the radiator hose.

I welded a 3/4" square tube brace to the tunnel. Not that it needs more bracing, but the height was perfect for what I'm building as a center console.

I also added a little shrink-wrap to the nut that connects to the shifter linkage. This fattened it up perfectly. The only modification I made to Ian's piece was to make the hole in the Aluminium arm a little bigger so it matches the hole on the clevis fitting. We're in business now. VERY tight shifting pattern!
CptTripps
Just decided that I'm going to take the radiator hoses up the tunnel. I have a lot of Lava Mat left for the entire tunnel, and it'll be a lot cleaner than going through the longs or under the car.

I can take a 4" square piece of Lava Mat, stick it to my finger, and hold it 3" over the top of an open flame with almost no heat on my finger. I think it'll work real well.
McMark
Paint your PCBs black. tongue.gif
CptTripps
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 13 2014, 06:57 PM) *

Paint your PCBs black. tongue.gif

Not a bad idea! I'll add that to the "after I get driving" list of weekend projects.

I got the clutch master re-mounted tonight and started on the radiator hose. I have a lot of little things to do with the electrical so I'll do those inside tonight. Just finished tagging all the wires out of the ECU to make that easier to identify while hooking up.
Chris H.
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Apr 13 2014, 02:46 PM) *

Just decided that I'm going to take the radiator hoses up the tunnel. I have a lot of Lava Mat left for the entire tunnel, and it'll be a lot cleaner than going through the longs or under the car.

I can take a 4" square piece of Lava Mat, stick it to my finger, and hold it 3" over the top of an open flame with almost no heat on my finger. I think it'll work real well.

Great idea. I thought about the tunnel too since it'll be so empty without the shift rod and clutch cable, etc. but thought for sure it would get too hot in there. Can't wait to hear how it works. How crazy would it be to wrap the section of the hoses inside the tunnel in something like that as well? Not necessarily that stuff but some sort of heat barrier? Or at least the "hot" side? Just to get double protection in there....

Keep up the pace, you're really getting there! Hope you'll have a day or two for quality control/tweaking.
CptTripps
I'm planning on taking a spin Wednesday night. That'll give me Thursday night to check everything over before I drive off to Hershey on Friday.

I may not have rocker panels or even much of an interior, but I'll be driving it.
Qarl
You are a mad, mad, man!
dakotaewing
How about a few more details on the front trunk...?
Show/give some more details on the radiator...!
914forme
My only issues with down the tunnel would be the possibility of heating brake fluid, or the fuel. Warm fuel sucks, but pre heated brake fluid could become a safety issue.

Warm fuel = less power.

Warm Brake fluid, means your closer to boiling it. I hope it works, because that makes for a nice well protected easy to run location. Might want to add some shielding for the lines. I know you said Lava Rock, with out testing Im not sure how well that stuff truly works.

Are they going to be tubing of the steel or Al. kind, or hose like green stripe?
Jacob
Great work on you build! Thanks for sharing the pictures!
CptTripps
QUOTE(914forme @ Apr 14 2014, 09:46 AM) *

My only issues with down the tunnel would be the possibility of heating brake fluid, or the fuel. Warm fuel sucks, but pre heated brake fluid could become a safety issue.

Warm fuel = less power.

Warm Brake fluid, means your closer to boiling it. I hope it works, because that makes for a nice well protected easy to run location. Might want to add some shielding for the lines. I know you said Lava Rock, with out testing Im not sure how well that stuff truly works.

Are they going to be tubing of the steel or Al. kind, or hose like green stripe?

The lava mat works real well, but that's not to say that I wouldn't rather over-do the insulation there.

I was going to use the green stripe hose. I have plenty of 1" hose that fits well in the tunnel. An idea is to put something up the middle to separate it into two sides. I could use an insulating board that would give me an extra barrier between the radiator hose and the brake/fuel lines. Using a heat-shield sleeve on the radiator hose would also help a bit.

The goal is to have everything through that tunnel, so I've got to do whatever it takes to get it there. Right now, I have 1" ID hose, and then make it 1.25" on the radiator side and 1.4" at the motor. I don't know if that's going to be an issue or not, but from what I've heard, I should be just fine.

Either way, I'll find out this week if it works or not.

Back to progress:

I printed out all the shrink-wrap for the wires, and mounted the ECU in the trunk last night. I'll wire that all up later today and then get back to the tunnel and running lines. I have a feeling that's the last "great hurdle" I have to get over before the other pieces start falling into place. I'll also mount up the intercooler and fan tonight. I figured out where I'm mounting all of that. (under the driver side of the trunk, opposite the exhaust.)
CptTripps
QUOTE(dan_the _body_guy @ Apr 13 2014, 12:49 AM) *

very nice! its starting to look like a car again, get with me after you get it running ill finish buffing before hershey trip

Doubt I'll have time, but if you want to come by Thursday afternoon, you're welcome to! I should have most of the exterior work and trim back on by then. I still don't think the paint we touched-up with is dry yet. Something tells me the hardener was needed afterall. ;-)
CptTripps
For those wondering about LavaMat...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNc_WyJ_7KA
Qarl
That's like 4-5 inches away. Tiny little flame.

HOW LAME!

lol-2.gif
CptTripps
I'll try with a torch...just for you Qarl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXQUnWSKS8A
bulitt
At least you didn't stick it on your middle finger for the torch test! lol-2.gif
dudzy's914
How did you do those LED lights? What lens, and what LED pagage did I you use?
CptTripps
Getting closer...

I spent an hour on re-building the proportioning valve tonight. I put it together wrong last time. Doh!

Then I ran the rear brake lines and played around in the front trunk a bit. Got the front marker lights wired up and installed. Then I moved to the ECU and got everything wired and ready to connect. Marking everything was important.

I also installed the wiper motor and squirters, only to realize I'm missing one of the rubber gaskets. Sent an email to Mark about that.

I'll have the spacers for the rear hubs tomorrow so I can get them installed along with the CV joints and then I should have a chance at making my deadline.

Tomorrow I'll finish the brakes and MAYBE get the radiator hoses set up. Past that it's going to be figuring out where the inter cooler stuff can go and finishing wiring. This is going to be close!
bigkensteele
Doug, I am addicted to this thread. Can't believe how much work you are getting done so quickly, yet so well. You must be one hell of a project manager to keep yourself so focused and on task.
CptTripps
Ha! I'm the worst PM in the world. Even my PMs at the office would say the same thing. My ADD keeps me bouncing around different parts of the car. I think that's why it seems like I'm getting so much done.

Honestly, I wish I was further along. I have a lot to do in 3 days to get it on the road. With all of this, we had a client spring a surprise on us so I may have to run out if town tomorrow for the day. That'll put a big kink in my plans.

We shall see...
Dr Evil
When are you cruising through to Hershey? I plan to leave Fri AM sometime. I am on the way and can help call you a two truck if you get a problem wink.gif This is impressive thumb3d.gif
CptTripps
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 15 2014, 12:37 AM) *

When are you cruising through to Hershey? I plan to leave Fri AM sometime. I am on the way and can help call you a two truck if you get a problem wink.gif This is impressive thumb3d.gif

I was planning on leave Cleveland about noon, so I'd land in Hershey about 5:30. If I can get this built up enough that I trust it, I'll be there with my 914. If not, I'll either trailer it there on my truck, or just drive my DD and enjoy the ride.

Either way, I'll be there. Just not sure if I'll be driving a 914, Discovery, or 535. Two of the three may need a tow truck, so I'll keep your number. biggrin.gif

There was a point last night that I thought this may be a hopeless cause, but now I'm looking at the punch list and thinking I may be able to get it done enough to drive. I won't have a lot of the interior done, but all I need is a seat and a steering wheel...right?
CptTripps
QUOTE(dudzy's914 @ Apr 14 2014, 08:39 PM) *

How did you do those LED lights? What lens, and what LED package did you use?

Spoke is making them.

Thread: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=202793

Buy: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=233408
JmuRiz
QUOTE(Qarl @ Apr 11 2014, 11:10 AM) *

Love the green stitching. Nice touch!

Totally beat me to my idea.

Hey CptTripps:
Who did your seats? Would they do a stitched dash?
bulitt
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Apr 14 2014, 11:36 PM) *

Doug, I am addicted to this thread. Can't believe how much work you are getting done so quickly, yet so well. You must be one hell of a project manager to keep yourself so focused and on task.

He hasn't hit Men-O-Pause yet. The energy of youth.
CptTripps
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Apr 15 2014, 09:41 AM) *

Who did your seats? Would they do a stitched dash?

I'll bet if this guy ever sees another 914 seat, he throws something at it! He's out of town for the next 2 weeks, so I'll ask when I pick up my door panels. I had to order the thread from http://thethreadexchange.com That reminds me...I need to get that back from them.

I'm going to have him do a "booster" seat for my kids too. Basically, something that just goes over the existing bottom seat to raise it up 4-5". So it'll look stock, and give the kiddos the added support they need.

QUOTE(bulitt @ Apr 15 2014, 09:49 AM) *

He hasn't hit Men-O-Pause yet. The energy of youth.

People said that It'd happen to me at 30...then 35...now 40. I'll turn 40 in January, so we'll see!
76-914
Don't sweat it. It won't happen till you hit 60. evilgrin.gif And at that point your ready for a little breather. smile.gif
CptTripps
I just hope it doesn't happen before Friday. I need to keep the momentum up.
Qarl
Less posting and more... smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif

You need to... driving.gif
CptTripps
QUOTE(Qarl @ Apr 15 2014, 02:48 PM) *

Less posting and more... smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif

This IS how I work on the car throughout the day while I'm at work.
76-914
And when it's finished you need to do a "class photo" of your subs. Just don't post any cost figures. Some of our wives read these things. av-943.gif
CptTripps
Ok. Back in the garage for the last hour or so. Here's what I got done.

The 5mm spacers came in from PM so I was able to get the back hubs, disks, calipers, and CVs installed. Tried the wheels on for size and realized the following:

A: 2" spacers in the rear are too much.

B: 1" spacers may be just right

C: I have a lot of negative camber in the front.

So now I'm 2" up front, 1" in the rear, and looking to replace these 100mm studs I bought! (Or at least put spikes on the end.)

...back to work on making brake lines.
CptTripps
Ok...more updates.

Spent the remainder of the evening working on the brakes, exhaust, and axels.

The pedal cluster bolts weren't really long enough for me to get a good grip on everything after the Raptor Liner was sprayed on, and the plate for the clutch slave plate was installed, so I needed to make a few adjustments. I tool a cut-wheel and got rid of the captive bolts that were in place. Then welded up the cuts, ground them down, and re-painted it. I just left the 2 holes. I'll use bolts that are about 1cm longer so I can get the threads on and feel comfortable with the safety of it all.

I also forgot to add the CV joint gaskets, so I had to pull everything off and re-do those too. After buttoning everything up...again...I realized that I may need spacers between the trans and the magic flanges. HOPEFULLY I can just pull the flanges, but I may not have enough travel available for that, so I'll need to pull the drive-half of the CVs off again before I get on the road. It's starting to look like a proper car from behind though!

The exhaust is going to be trickier. The divorced down-pipe I have drops just a LITTLE too low for me to weld the can directly to. There's also the question of how I'm going to orient it. The thinking right now is that I'll cut a 2" section out where the bung for an O2 sensor was, and use that for my wideband, and then weld the exhaust to that. I'll have to curve around the engine cradle and leave myself enough room to still get to the cradle bolts if needed. In reality though, I shouldn't need to pull the engine without taking the exhaust off. It's only 3 bolts and it'll come out in one piece.
green914
pray.gif Wow! You are making great progress - shades.gif looking good.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.