Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CptTripps' Restoration 2 - The Grey Matter Build
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25
76-914
QUOTE(CptTripps @ May 7 2014, 03:55 AM) *

What would be a better idea?

Something a lot thicker with some "give" or sponge-nous to it. How much is that set up going to weigh once it is filled w/ water? Depending upon the wall thickness and type/hardness (T rating) of aluminum that the radiator has would dictate my next step. Vertical loading/support would be better but that's not what you have. Could you post up several of pic's of your radiator set up and that area in general. It might be possible to leave what you have but to intro some vertical support as well.
ruby914
I think Kent has a good point. It is nice to have your radiator floating.
Check Summit, http://www.summitracing.com/search/part-ty...unting-brackets
or just Google; Radiator mounts images for ideas.
CptTripps
Alright. I think I see how I can modify what I have already welded in place, to accommodate a truly floating radiator setup.

Started wiring the motor to the Hydra today. After that it's the rest of the wiring. Hope to finish wiring tomorrow at some point!
MMW
I would fab a U shaped bracket lined with rubber that rad would sit in. This would support the weight & then the top brackets would only be holding it from moving front to back. Top brackets can also be U shaped/rubber lined over the top of the rad & then bolted into your top bar.
CptTripps
Yeah. On further investigation, I'm going to re-work that setup after I get it running. Today I'm concentrating on wiring and the intercooler. Those two pieces need to get done, and I'll order some parts for the radiator doin can tackle that later.

I've got the entire interior dynamat-ed and just picked up the banjo bolt I needed to finish the brakes. I forgot (somehow) that Stoddard is about 10min from my house, so I can pick up parts from them for the "Porsche" pieces of the car a lot faster than I realized.
mgp4591
Besides the rubber U cradles (most cars have at least those) you can pick up radiator bolts that are really just rubber pieces with threaded shanks coming out either end. One bolts into the radiator, the other into your support bracket. That way it really does float and absorb all that nasty vibration and the U cradle simply is a soft place for it to sit. Check at Honda, Toyota and Nissan dealers- not really sure if yer local Auto Zone would have those... I just think so many of us are in awe of your progress that we'd cry if you had a coolant meltdown! shades.gif
CptTripps
Finished all the brake lines today, but haven't bleed anything yet. Still have the gas tank in/out so much to work out the radiator hoses. Which I finally did today.

Bent down one of the ribs in the gas tank, and cut a few openings. Now I'm in business. I need to put a valve in to relieve air, but I'll make it work.

Took this just before I finished it. Radiator: Plumbed!
CptTripps
Forgot one...
914forme
I hope your hose mating holds up. I would not trust it in my car. You can find transitions and put some humps on them, or get the from places like Jags that Run Then use a quality clamp and not the worm gear clamps. They will cut into the hose and cause failures down the road.

You can bead transitions if you find them locally using a beading tool, or build one out a vice grip and muffler clamps. You can slap solder, braze, Mig or Tig a bead onto material if need be. I have used all the above methods with success. In a bind depending on the tubing size you can also cut threads into the OD. And you can use epoxy to build your hump. Though I don't like the last one nearly as well.

Also, please put some protection around your hoses where ever they go through bulkheads, they will wear really fast in those areas. I am sure you have thought about that and the picture just don't show it.

Just trying to get you to driving.gif and keep you driving.gif

Keep up the great work Doug
CptTripps
I have better threaded transitions on order already. That's why I left all the hose a little long. It'll be easy to add them, and I need to keep moving.

I put a bunch of seam sealer in the opening so I'm not rubbing against metal. Again, I'll add more later after everything is together and I know where the "run spots" are. Mocking everything into its final position right now is key.

I'm kinda stuck on the fuel pump. Originally I was going to use the stock in/out of the tank and mount the fuel pump externally. Now I'm looking at cutting the tank and using the Subaru one. One of the outputs on my Walbro pump is too shallow to mount anything to. Back to the drawing board there I guess.
rhodyguy
the beading that runs along the sides of a engine lid might dress out the hole and protect the coolant hoses.
CptTripps
For a new in-line fuel pump and re-did the lines to the tank. I also finally got the last piece to my master cylendar for the clutch.

The issue I have now is the clutch slave isn't moving. I've blead the line...but it won't budge. Just still feels like there is no resistance. Fluid squirts out when I'm bleeding it. But it doesn't move at all. I'm stumped.
Mike Bellis
Did you bench bleed your new master? Could still have a bubble inside.
mgp4591
The slaves I've dealt with will bleed fluid all day long but they need actual pumping to get them to activate. You've probably done that- I'm just throwing in my 2 cents...
Mike Bellis
If you push the master, the slave should move the same relative amount. If not, there is air in the system. Hydraulic fluid does not compress easy like air.
76-914
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ May 10 2014, 10:44 PM) *

If you push the master, the slave should move the same relative amount. If not, there is air in the system. Hydraulic fluid does not compress easy like air.

agree.gif Mikes right. Damned few liquids will compress. You have to bench bleed it firstus, Festus! biggrin.gif
CptTripps
Gawd. Ok. I'll dig into it tonight. Such a pita.

I've put 8oz through the slave and still not engaging. I'm starting to think it may be the master.
Mike Bellis
The bubble is in the master. That's why you bench bleed. Then you take the drippy messy thing to the car and try to install it without spilling brake fluid everywhere.

BTW, I'm running a Howe 5/8" master with my stock VW slave. Not sure what size the VW slave is but it bolts right onto the Cayman 6 speed. Works great!
76-914
Search "bench bleeding clutch master cylinder". There are several videos that are quicker than explaining with my limited vocabulary. It takes some force to push in the plunger but it will go. Or, bench bleed it in place and have someone pump the pedal for you. beerchug.gif
CptTripps
Bench Bleeding: Got it! That seems like the issue I'm having. I imagine it has something to do with the master being at an angle down there. I'd tried to do it with my "Power Bleeder" but the result was the cap blowing off the master and a puddle of fluid on the garage floor.

Ugh...
CptTripps
Anybody want to come help me finish this thing? I could use a 'friend' in the garage.

For the last several weeks, I've been having trouble staying focused. I'm about to go through a very sad separation/divorce and have almost no motivation to work on this car right now. I'm just emotionally exhausted.

So...if someone wants to come up for a weekend to play in my garage and help me knock through the list of "to-do's" I'm happy to get you a ticket if I can.

Just throwing it out there...
bigkensteele
QUOTE(CptTripps @ May 15 2014, 05:23 PM) *

Anybody want to come help me finish this thing? I could use a 'friend' in the garage.

For the last several weeks, I've been having trouble staying focused. I'm about to go through a very sad separation/divorce and have almost no motivation to work on this car right now. I'm just emotionally exhausted.

So...if someone wants to come up for a weekend to play in my garage and help me knock through the list of "to-do's" I'm happy to get you a ticket if I can.

Just throwing it out there...

Doug, sorry to hear this. I will look at my schedule. I am just down in Cincinnati, so only a 4 hour drive. This weekend is out, but I may be able to free one up in the near future.

Ken
76-914
Aw man sad.gif I'm so sorry to hear this. I'm too far away to be of any real help to you. I'm sure the OH 914 Mafia will be here to help you shortly, Doug. biggrin.gif
Qarl
Sorry dude. I'm about to fly off for vacation for a few weeks, or I'd head out.

Take care of YOURSELF first. The car is just a material possession.

Be happy for the future. Have a beer (or something stiffer) and look out for your own interests first. Divorces can be messy and stressful. Listen to you attorney.

Take it a day at a time, and go hammer on the car if you need to get away.

sawzall-smiley.gif
Dr Evil
Lemme check my schedule and see if I am able to get free. sad.gif

PM or txt me and I bet we can work something out.
rick 918-S
Sorry Doug, I have my own fish to fry. I'm supposed to finish two cars by next weekend. Heat is on here.
CptTripps
Got a second wind today.

Bench blead the masters, then the clutch and brakes. Not a fun "one man" job, but I got it close and was able to chase leaks. I should be good for now. I can feel the clutch engaging and the brakes pushing.

Now I'm wresteling with the wiring diagram. This is going to be a lot of work, but I think I have a good bit of it sorted. Need a few relays I wasn't planning on. No worries there.

I think I'm going to tackle the tail lights and then start in on the headlight buckets while I ponder the wiring.
76-914
That's the trick. If something stumps me I move on to something else and return to it later. Just keep moving forward, always forward.
CptTripps
Looks like the good Dr (or the Evil one anyway) is coming out this week for a few days to assist me with the wiring. That's really the last major piece before I can get it to the engine guy to finish the inter cooler and turbo lines.

I may be driving it in a week after all!
edwin
Just make sure the Dr doesn't touch a welder while he's there.
Keep up the good work, I'm looking forward to seeing the result when it's done.
914forme
Doug as I have said else where I would love to come up, yet I am booked solid for several weeks. I get you got torpedoed, I would be devastated also. As I am sure you have figured out life moves on..... Control what you can control, the only people who really win in this situation is the Lawyers.

It will be july before I get a free day, if your still struggling then I'll gladly lend a hand where I can. BTW, I make a pretty mean brisket, and pork butt. So if you need to feed some guys for the final push an its in July, I can offer my smoker and skills to feed a much more mechanically skilled group, than I am.
CptTripps
Thanks guys. I'm actually feeling better.

Spent 2-3hrs in the garage cleaning and organizing today. Then I got busy on some of the wiring. Started wiring the hydra to distribution blocks. This will make wiring easier.

Krieger
piratenanner.gif
CptTripps
18 down, 40 to go!

Now that I have a plan for the wiring, it should go a lot quicker. I need to get some more terminal ends though.
Dr Evil
Shit, what the hell will be left for me?

Edwin....that was a low blow you fucker fyou1.gif Just kidding biggrin.gif I have recently purchased a TIG, though. It has yet to arrive. I have been practicing my MIG skills and they aint bad. Spool gun MIG with AL is not great...I hope to do better with TIG. See me when I get down there in Aug for my transmission clinic that may be moved again. Gonna be in Canberra.
tdgray
Let me know guys... busy as shit right now but I can free some time up if we have a plan.
CptTripps
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 18 2014, 11:11 PM) *

Shit, what the hell will be left for me?

All the internal stuff, and the other side of what I'm doing now. I'm just connecting to the ECU. We still have to figure out WHERE the engine connects, and to what. Plus, the internal gauges/starter wires/relays/etc. Plenty of work. Don't worry. biggrin.gif

QUOTE(tdgray @ May 19 2014, 10:08 AM) *

Let me know guys... busy as shit right now but I can free some time up if we have a plan.

DrEvil will be at my house this Wed/Thurs. Come up after work and play with us. Should be a good time.
MMW
CptTripps wrote - "DrEvil will be at my house this Wed/Thurs. Come up after work and play with us. Should be a good time."

That sounds sooooo wrong.
CptTripps
QUOTE(MMW @ May 19 2014, 11:14 AM) *

That sounds sooooo wrong.

Yeah...I'm just realizing that. sad.gif
Chris H.
Noooooo...let's right the ship on this one boys...

I'm picturing something more like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g0mUyH6dI8

Who gets to be Will Ferrell?
Dr Evil
av-943.gif
CptTripps
Dude. We're TOTALLY doing Karate in the garage. We just need to move a car out first. wink.gif

I'll buy a watermelon and bring my samurai sword home for the office. It's no signed by Randy Jackson or anything though.
Moneypit
I don't see why a couple dudes can't spoon and have it not be gay confused24.gif
dan_the _body_guy
just try to refrain from sword fighting and above all else DO NOT tea bag the drums or the car! lol-2.gif
tdgray
Let you know Doug... have union negotiations Thursday so who knows how that will go... considering I did such a good job last one rolleyes.gif
CptTripps
It'd be great if you could come up tomorrow OR Thursday Todd. Seriously, it'd be a big help.

Here's the list of things I need to do on the car.

Lots-O-Wiring (DrEvil actually WANTS to do this one.)
ECU Mounting after I finish the pre-wiring. (I'll have that done tonight though.)
Headlight buckets. (I need the plastic grommets to finish this, I can't find them anywhere.)
Intercooler air tubing installation.
Intercooler radiator and canister installation.
Brake and clutch re-bleeding.
Throttle cable installation. (This is a bitch to try to get through that tube, I'm just going to re-drill a hole for it.)
Radiator fill-valve installation.
Window and windshield installation.
There's an oil line for the turbo that I need to install and route. I think it connects to the AOS that I have. Need to double-check that part.

The seats and carpet can wait until I have something wired up properly TO install them in. I'm going to work on making the center console tonight. I also need to cover the dash in the vinyl I have so that can be ready for DrEvil to wire things into.
914forme

Headlight buckets. (I need the plastic grommets to finish this, I can't find them anywhere.)

I just cut up a front clip, I should have these,your taking the pivot arms bushings, right?

CptTripps
I actually need the drop-link arm, bushings, and rotator thingy for both. I have 1 sides arm, but am missing the other bushing. I need the part that attaches to the motor, another drop-link like this, and all the bushings. If you have the stuff, can I buy them and pay for you to overnight them? I need to get this stuff tightened up on Thurs when Mike is still here. (He's doing the wiring with me.)

If not, that's fine too. I just need the parts.
CptTripps
Got the HID headlights installed. They don't work yet, and I'm still missing the link, but it's one less part on the shelf.
tdgray
Can't make it dudes...sorry duty calls dry.gif

Well is not how it is going mad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.