Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CptTripps' Restoration 2 - The Grey Matter Build
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25
mgp4591
QUOTE(CptTripps @ May 30 2014, 03:29 PM) *

I've stayed here a dozen times but normally on the 14th or 15th floor. I needed 2 connecting rooms this time. They have me 912 and 914. Not too shabby.

918 and 919 would've been nice too! shades.gif
CptTripps
919 wouldn't happen. There are no "odd" numbers in a lot of asian hotels. (Mandarin Oriental is where we were.)
CptTripps
I THINK I just figured out my intercooler issue. If I mount the radiator on the decklid, and convert it to a "GT" style lid, I can mount the rest of it underneath. The tubing is still going to be plentiful, but with some 3" and 2.25" silicone tubing and elbows, I'll be able to get it done without any welding.

Progress....
bulitt
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Jun 2 2014, 03:10 PM) *

I THINK I just figured out my intercooler issue. If I mount the radiator on the decklid, and convert it to a "GT" style lid, I can mount the rest of it underneath. The tubing is still going to be plentiful, but with some 3" and 2.25" silicone tubing and elbows, I'll be able to get it done without any welding.

Progress....

Doesn't it have to be in the air flow to provide cooling?
CptTripps
I have a fan for it so I was thinking I just needed to pull air into it. Do I need to run more lines from the radiator for it? That's going to be a giant pain in the ass, but better I learn now, than after I finish building the center console.
CptTripps
Would this be an appropriate place to mount the intercooler radiator? Is having an "air gap" going to mess anything up? (the distance between the two radiators.)

I'm going to hate having SOMETHING ELSE up the center tunnel, but this seems like the only option. The tubes won't be all that hot anyway, just the water from the intercooler. The extra length may give it more time to cool down anyway.

I'd remove the fan from it, and maybe use that as a secondary fan for the radiator. It's smaller, but could work well as a secondary.
Dr Evil
That would make for a lot of air mass to move a long distance before getting to your engine. I think that would be problematic, but I do not know for sure.
bigkensteele
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jun 3 2014, 05:32 AM) *

That would make for a lot of air mass to move a long distance before getting to your engine. I think that would be problematic, but I do not know for sure.

It is not the intercooler itself, but the radiator for the liquiid cooled intercooler which I assume will still live back with the engine.
CptTripps
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Jun 3 2014, 10:00 AM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jun 3 2014, 05:32 AM) *

It is not the intercooler itself, but the radiator for the liquiid cooled intercooler which I assume will still live back with the engine.

Correct. I'd be mounting the water cooler up front, and the intercooler in the back by the turbo.

I also think I bought the wrong intercooler. The builds I was modeling mine after at the time all had the intake manifold flipped to the other side, and the alternator relocated. I didn't do this, so I'm fighting a losing battle with the setup I have. I'm thinking I go with one of the "canister" intercoolers instead. Or at least one of the ones with both ports on the same side like one of these.

Routing is still a royal PITA, but I think I can get it done with the "Type 23" where the "in/out" are on the same side.

If there was an easier way to do this, I'd be all over it. I think I'm pretty screwed in the "easy to do" department. My builder struggled with the setup he was thinking, so when he came to look it over with me last week, we had lot of combined head-scratching.

He's coming over later today to look at a few options with me. There HAS to be a way to do it...there just has to.
CptTripps
I forgot to post a pic of what I have right now to play with.

It's called a "Type 13" on the frozenboost websiite.

http://www.frozenboost.com/index.php?cPath...ffdc35d367cf31f
effutuo101
From the first set of pictures, I have the first on. You don't need to have that much space as it is cold water being cooled. You can mount the radiator and fan in the engine compartment and call it done. I will post a pic of my set up later.
CptTripps
QUOTE(effutuo101 @ Jun 3 2014, 10:26 AM) *

From the first set of pictures, I have the first on. You don't need to have that much space as it is cold water being cooled. You can mount the radiator and fan in the engine compartment and call it done. I will post a pic of my set up later.

I WISH your setup would work for me. I have a rear trunk though. dry.gif

I think routing it all behind the driver would be best for the intercooler. I was trying to get the radiator under the rear trunk, opposite the exhaust. (On the "cool" side of the trunk.)

Other than the firewall, there really isn't a great spot. Thought about the deck-lid, but that may be a PITA too.

Ugh!
Dr Evil
Ah, yes. The water cooler. My bad :duh:

Might have to notch the rear trunk for the intercooler.
effutuo101
you can hang it off the trunk floor out of the way. doesn't mater where the cooler is, just that it is cool.
I almost put it where the muffler would normally go.
mikesmith
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Jun 3 2014, 05:17 AM) *

Would this be an appropriate place to mount the intercooler radiator? Is having an "air gap" going to mess anything up? (the distance between the two radiators.)

The air gap will mean that air will tend to go around, rather than through, your intercooler. You might be better off looking for a different cooler (looks like maybe a long skinny oil cooler would fit between your mounting bars there?)

Alternatively, it looks like you have room to move the radiator sideways; you could stack an oil cooler vertically alongside it and then play with ducting to balance airflow between it and the main radiator...
CptTripps
I wish I could use the trunk. All my wiring goes there and it'd be a serious project to move it.

I'm working on the interior now. Need to have some noticeable progress or I'm going to drive myself insane. I'll take the car to my engine builder and we can figure out the intercooler over a weekend or something. It's just too much for me to think about right now.

Working on the center console and I'm realizing the plates I had made up are TOO big for a reasonably sized center. I'm going to re-design that tomorrow when I'm at the office. Not too bad actually. Just a few adjustments and I'll make the new board out of a piece of perforated Aluminum I have. Could look cooler ultimately too.
CptTripps
So....my center console idea didn't pan out how I'd wanted. The plates I had made were just a little (lot) too wide. So, it looks like I'm starting over on the center console idea. I think I have a plan though.

I can make it shorter, giving me ample room in the back for my feet, and POSSIBLY add the sub too.

Here's the new plate I'm working out. I'll incorporate the nav system and switchboard into the same plate, giving me more room for things. It'll also be wide enough at the front to JUST snug over the center support and leave me plenty of travel for the shifter.
CptTripps
FML...

I had to do a running total for Hagerty.

Adding up receipts isn't EVER a good idea.

Good news: I can justify $40K in coverage pretty easily. sad.gif

Bad news: I could have bought a 2001 996 Turbo and been driving it right now.
CptTripps
Spent the evening with my turbo. I THINK the plan I put together is solid. A few mods but nothing crazy. I also found the part I've been looking for to join the turbo's oil intake to the motor. Whew. That one was going to be a PITA if I had to re-build my own. Minor victories add up over time.

In other news, the donor for my next build showed up last night. 2005 Saab 92x with some motor issues. biggrin.gif
CptTripps
Still limping along...but I think I figured out the Intercooler stuff...finally. But I don't like the answer.

I'm going to move and re-wire the ECU so I can cut through the area I have it mounted and get it into the trunk. I'll mount the radiator for it under the car as planned, and be in business. Re-wiring isn't going to be all that hard, and I think I can leave everything I have pretty much in place. Thank god I have a separate set of wiring that I bought for the Hydra. I'll just use those.

Getting there...
CptTripps
Hitting it HARD today. Getting somewhere too!

Moved the ECU and all that pretty wiring I did. Need room for the intercooler! I bought a bunch of 2.5" pipe and bends. Then started cutting.

I also figured out where to mount the radiator. Should be perfect, but the water pump may be tough. Gotta play with that a but yet.
CptTripps
Here's the pipe I fabricated. So I have the intake covered. Now for the turbo output. Hmmm.
CptTripps
Got it!
Chris H.
Bitchin'. Definitely worth moving the wiring for.
BIGKAT_83
Been helping D914 with his car. I remounted the inter cooler for him. He's using a outfront turbo pipe that mounts the turbo to the front of the engine. Hope to have this going for him SOON.
Click to view attachment
CptTripps
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Jun 8 2014, 09:02 PM) *

Been helping D914 with his car. I remounted the inter cooler for him. He's using a outfront turbo pipe that mounts the turbo to the front of the engine. Hope to have this going for him SOON.

I wish that would have been an option for me. At one point I thought about trying to find a rotated turbo, but that just isn't in the cards. Moving the ECU and wiring was a painful decision but in the end, the best way to get this project back on track.

I also hooked up the Air-Oil separator and will work more on the burp tanks tonight. I can't find the filler attachment for the radiator ANYWHERE so that may be a stopper temporarily.

I was looking at everything last night and thinking "I'm really very close here" so if I play my cards right, I could be on the road in a few weeks. Once I can get the engine running, the interior should come together quickly. There's a lot less "engineering" necessary in tat department.
bulitt
Remote liquid intercooler is awesome! Guess I missed that. Carry on! smilie_pokal.gif
CptTripps
Here's how I'm thinking I route the filler for the intercooler. Since I need to fill at the highest point, I'm thinking here is a good place to start. This will let me mount the pump under the car and not have to worry about it getting choked up with air. (In theory anyway.)

I'll be routing the tubing inside the trunk compartment so the lines don't get too hot by being next to the exhaust. Really the only way I CAN do it. So I guess my thoughts of a waterless trunk are kinda out the window. I'm going to have to make up a plate on risers for the ECU and wiring too then. Maybe a double-stack kinda configuration. That'll limit my ability to monkey with the wiring if I ever need to, but I could likely do it where with 4 wingnuts, I'm in good shape. Who knows...I'll have to get in there and see what's possible after I get the radiator mounted and plumbed.

This is a royal PITA, and I hope I only have to do it once. I'm really looking forward to my FactoryFive 818 build this winter. Having a mid-engined car with INSTRUCTIONS will take a lot of the "How in the f%@k am I going to engineer this?" out of the equation.
Mike Bellis
Don't forget there will be a big bubble of air inside the intercooler. This will be above the level of the pipe fitting. Leave it loose so you can lift one end after filling with water. The pump alone will not be able to get the bubble out.
rick 918-S
Just stopped at Doug's place. Nice project! Lots done! September is the month Doug! aktion035.gif
bigkensteele
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jun 9 2014, 06:27 PM) *

Just stopped at Doug's place. Nice project! Lots done! September is the month Doug! aktion035.gif

Rick traveling outside MN = car acquisition popcorn[1].gif cheer.gif

Doug, great work! I may have to move up there. Apparently there are more hours in the day in northern OH. rolleyes.gif
Dr Evil
Looking like I will be moving closer, soon smile.gif WCH area.
tdgray
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jun 9 2014, 11:17 PM) *

unsure.gif

biggrin.gif
CptTripps
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jun 9 2014, 11:17 PM) *

WCH? Were the hell is that?

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jun 9 2014, 10:22 PM) *

Don't forget there will be a big bubble of air inside the intercooler. This will be above the level of the pipe fitting. Leave it loose so you can lift one end after filling with water. The pump alone will not be able to get the bubble out.

Already planning on it. I think I have a plan for that.

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jun 9 2014, 10:27 PM) *

GREAT to see you last night Rick. I'm glad you like the build. I get nervous doing everything myself in a relative vacuum.

QUOTE(tdgray @ Jun 10 2014, 08:57 AM) *

unsure.gif

You need to get your ass over here and take a look Todd.
Dr Evil
WCH = Washington Court House, OH 43160 smile.gif
tdgray
I know... I know... will do soon. Work has just been a bitch recently dry.gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jun 10 2014, 11:19 AM) *

WCH = Washington Court House, OH 43160 smile.gif

been there, once nice little town- friend of mine's home town. He practices down in Kentucky.
are you joining a family practice down there?, Good luck in the new position! seems like there are a lot of teeners in the mid-west. Saw a few in cincinatti last time i was up there to visit my nephew. Good central location, should be close enough to make it down to the Octeenerfest! poke.gif
76-914
OK Doug, WTF.gif . No updates in 9 days. poke.gif You don't even want to know what page I found this on. Is it at the mechanic's, yet? bye1.gif
CptTripps
I wish it was at the mechanic's. I ran into an issue a few weeks ago and then "life got in the way" as it does for so many.

I discovered I hand' even thought about having a blow-off valve which means I need to tear things back apart and start over on my Air-Water intercooler. What a PITA.

I'll get back to it soon. Need to concentrate on family and work for a few more weeks. After that, I AM close. Just don't have time for the garage right now. Sorry guys.

If I can't get to it in a few weeks, I've honestly been considering just selling it off. I wan't have time to finish it in the next few months and it may be a necessity if things go south at work. I'm just sick over the whole situation. If I could even just find someone to hand it off to to finish for me, that'd be awesome too. Again...there is a lot up in the air.
76-914
Sorry to hear that, Doug. Let me know if I can help. Life can be an utter fugging bitch with moments of happiness intertwined. Take what it gives you and leave the rest. Here is beerchug.gif to hoping everything works out for you, soon! Kent
Chris H.
Everyone gets to "that point" Doug....hang in there man. You'll get more satisfaction (and money) out of it finished. I was so determined not to have mine off the road for long but have stopped working on it a couple times and stepped away. It's good to give a project a rest sometimes.

Plus.... IT'S A FRIGGIN' JET FIGHTER PLANE 914 WITH HUNDREDS OF HORSEPOWER!!!!!! YOU ARE THE PILOT!!!!! IT SAYS SO RIGHT ON THE STICKER!!!!! beerchug.gif
CptTripps
Thanks guys. I appreciate the support. I just got REAL stuck on a few things that I need to work through on it. REALLY helps to have someone else in the garage with you. Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of people in this area that could come out and help for a few days.

I'm still forever grateful to Dr. Evil for getting my wiring sorted for me. I'm sure I had a lot less into the wiring than a lot of people would have, and that made all the difference for me. I just wish I understood more about it so I could finish off what he started. Having to re-locate the ECU was a pretty major blow too.

The major things left on the list are the plumbing for the last bits of the intercooler, including the blow-off valve. I'll get out there tonight and finish the radiator for that. I also need to re-work my engine radiator tubing so it is more trustworthy. I need to get some fillers int there so I have a way to get the water INTO the hose. Past that, it's all the little bits-and-pieces that are starting to mount up.
CptTripps
I'm getting back in the groove. Made a list of stuff I need last night. Located a bunch of them, need to go out to you all for the rest.

The two most pressing things I need:

Window-track fuzzys for the rear part of the door.
Headlight dog-bones and the rotators for the motors. Bushings too.
bulitt
914 rubber has the fuzzy's

http://shop.914rubber.com/914-Rear-window-...f-2-914LDWF.htm
CptTripps
Great find.

Ordered!
76-914
IIRC, I bought my headlight bushing kit from Carrie @ 914central
CptTripps
The metal pieces are more important. I can't finish the headlights without them, and cant finish up the front without finishing the headlights.

Got a local guy to make me 10 1"-OD stainless pieces to use on my radiator hose joints. Found 2 filler valves I can use, and with an hour of work tonight, I should have that all ready to go. After that, I need to re-wire things up and get a blow-off valve involved somehow. That should let me start the motor, which would motivate the hell out of me to finish this thing.
76-914
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Jun 25 2014, 10:13 AM) *

The metal pieces are more important. I can't finish the headlights without them, and cant finish up the front without finishing the headlights.

Got a local guy to make me 10 1"-OD stainless pieces to use on my radiator hose joints. Found 2 filler valves I can use, and with an hour of work tonight, I should have that all ready to go. After that, I need to re-wire things up and get a blow-off valve involved somehow. That should let me start the motor, which would motivate the hell out of me to finish this thing.

We'll be expecting a video, soon. biggrin.gif
914forme
I dropped you a PM about the head light parts.
scotty b
QUOTE(914forme @ Jun 26 2014, 04:57 PM) *

I dropped you a PM about the head light parts.

I'm dropping you a PM about letting Drevil work on your wiring unsure.gif mellow.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.