Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CptTripps' Restoration 2 - The Grey Matter Build
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25
CptTripps
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jun 26 2014, 09:01 PM) *

I'm dropping you a PM about letting Drevil work on your wiring unsure.gif mellow.gif

Mike came out a month ago to help...and did a LOT of great work. I fear I need a little more help in that department to get it all done though. Perhaps I can get him out "one more time" when I get closer to having it done. I'd love to get the rest of the interior put together first though. That way, there's just 'buttoning up' to do and he can be there for the first start.
Dr Evil
Scotty is just being an ass hat. rolleyes.gif

I have some time I might be able to come out. Main thing is I have a back log of transmissions to build that need to be cleared out first.
CptTripps
No worries. I'm a way out from needing more help in that department.

I'm going to concentrate on the interior and seals over the next week or so. The engine stuff can be worked out by people smarter than me after a spell. IF I can get the interior done, I'll feel like I'm making progress so that'll help mentally.
rick 918-S
I was in Cleveland again Friday but only long enough to pick up the Mercedes. I wanted to come check the progress but the phasers in my truck went south. I was lucky to make it home. Remember 9-14-14
CptTripps
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jun 29 2014, 08:30 AM) *

I was in Cleveland again Friday but only long enough to pick up the Mercedes. I wanted to come check the progress but the phasers in my truck went south. I was lucky to make it home. Remember 9-14-14

Honestly, it's not visably further along than the last time you saw it. I've done a few things here and there, but I need to start hitting it hard this week. Like I said: Interior is next. I'm not going to feel good about it until I tackle that the way I'd intended.
Dr Evil
Just make sure the seats are easily removed and the dash is not blocking up the wiring as it will make finishing up that part a crap load more difficult. Send me a list of things you still need done as far as wiring and I can get a plan together.
CptTripps
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jun 30 2014, 10:36 AM) *

Just make sure the seats are easily removed and the dash is not blocking up the wiring as it will make finishing up that part a crap load more difficult. Send me a list of things you still need done as far as wiring and I can get a plan together.

Understood!

I'll put a plan together, but it'll be a bit before I have my head around what is needed. Now that you 'know' the car, we'll be able to make quick work of everything.
76-914
The Rotten Dr has a point. The interior should be the last thing to go in for several reasons. Besides, you can throw it in quickly once you've got things as you want them. Just saying..........
CptTripps
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jun 30 2014, 03:04 PM) *

The Rotten Dr has a point. The interior should be the last thing to go in for several reasons. Besides, you can throw it in quickly once you've got things as you want them. Just saying..........

It's more about building the pieces needed. My center console needs to be constructed, the dash is completely custom work, and there's a lot of padding and covering that needs to happen. The seats will be the last thing to go in, well after the rest is done. The wiring for the tach, speedo, lighting and all that is already in place, so there's no reason to not get started on the instrument clusters.

I got to the garage yesterday afternoon to get started and it was just too damn hot to do anything. I need a fan in there or something. At the very least, I should only work on it at night after the sun goes down. It's just brutal right now.

I am waiting on a few more parts that should arrive in the next few days. That'll let me at least get the headlights in there so I can check that off my list. Small victories is the key for me right now. not looking at the big picture all the time. One thing at a time...
CptTripps
I've literally lost almost all motivation with this right now. Sorry for not having any updates. "Life" threw me a bunch of curve-balls recently and it may be a while. I'm super pissed that I can't get it on the road, because I think it would help my mental state to be able to drive it. I'm just 'stuck' on too many things right now and would need someone experienced to come in and fix things so I can keep moving.

Ugh.
effutuo101
Keep at it Doug. Life will sort itself out.
CptTripps
My wife moved out with the kids last week, so the car has been the last thing on my mind lately. Really sucks, as this would be perfect to drive right now as a "pick me up" that I sure could use.

I've put a few feelers out to people that may be able to help me get the mechanical stuff sorted, but everyone is too busy right now. The things holding me from getting it running are:

Radiator Hose burps and fill valves
Proper routing of the oil lines
Blow-Off valve fabrication. (I can't believe I forgot about this one.)
Intercooler plumbing
Re-wire the ECU (This is the easiest piece once everything else is done.)

After that, it should fire right up. Getting that list hammered out has proven to be the death of me though.
Mblizzard
I might be able to make a trip up and help you out
tdgray
Dude... I have no experience with any of that but I have some skills.

My schedule is always a train wreck but you say when and I am there.

Stay strong man... Life is a series of speed bumps.

CptTripps
Thanks for the support guys.

If I knew where to start, or even knew where to start, I'd invite you all up in a heartbeat.

I think the air-flow piping for the intercooler and such is the biggest issue for me. Welding has never been my strong-suit, and certainly the number of bends and breaks isn't helping. To weld in the BOV in the limited space I have isn't making things any easier.

Ugh...I wish there was someone I could cart the car off to for a week to finish this stuff for me so I can get to the interior, which I'm actually looking forward to.
Mblizzard
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Jul 23 2014, 04:33 AM) *

Thanks for the support guys.

If I knew where to start, or even knew where to start, I'd invite you all up in a heartbeat.

I think the air-flow piping for the intercooler and such is the biggest issue for me. Welding has never been my strong-suit, and certainly the number of bends and breaks isn't helping. To weld in the BOV in the limited space I have isn't making things any easier.

Ugh...I wish there was someone I could cart the car off to for a week to finish this stuff for me so I can get to the interior, which I'm actually looking forward to.

Just remember we are here if you need to call all hands on deck!
saigon71
Sorry to hear about the life events unfolding for you.

I got frustrated, stuck and demotivated more than a few times during my restoration. In my experience, I was better off stepping away from the project for a bit when it happened, rather than working pissed off. Most times, I gained some clarity and perspective during the break.

Good luck with everything Doug.

CptTripps
My biggest frustration is that I could really use the "pick me up" of driving it to work every day, but at this rate, I won't finish until the snow flies...
76-914
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Jul 23 2014, 08:03 AM) *

My biggest frustration is that I could really use the "pick me up" of driving it to work every day, but at this rate, I won't finish until the snow flies...

Hell Doug, the time issue is a PITA for all of us. I think you will "enjoy" your build now that you have removed the time constraints you had imposed upon yourself. You ain't no Chip Foose and Overhauling Inc. And given our skill sets I think 1-2 years is totally reasonable. Onward thru the Fog my good man, onward. Just my 2 cents.
rick 918-S
It's a hobby Doug. You'll spoil the fun and enjoyment if you push it. How do you eat an elephant?...
CrashDown
this is an amazing build.......
Chris H.
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jul 24 2014, 11:32 PM) *

It's a hobby Doug. You'll spoil the fun and enjoyment if you push it. How do you eat an elephant?...

+1 agree.gif Yeah I think I FINALLY learned that myself. Hey I was thinking since you travel a bit Doug....might be nice to see a couple of turbo conversions in person so you can physically see how the turbos are plumbed up. DBCooper's is proven. Even though it's an Audi, I'd look at Mike Bellis's. Plus he can tell you a lot about turbo'ing and such. There's another blue one out there that's real nice. Done by Renegade Hybrids. Maybe stop at RH if you are ever in Vegas...

BTW if you had cash and wanted it done...RH does that all the time. I'm sure it's pricey...
DBCooper
+2

Don't worry about leaving the car in the garage until you're ready to get back to it. It won't go anywhere, it'll actually marinate, get better, and will be ready for you when you're ready for it. I've been through the divorce thing too, and it's a process, really is those steps of grieving. May not believe it now, but things will get better. For real. To the point where you can't even imagine any more how you got through the last few crappy years you were married.

A little later I'm on my way over to see my granddaughter and chase my son through the Santa Cruz hills in his 914/WRX. Sourdough, Crab Louis and good wine in the redwoods, a perfect weekend, and you know what? I won't think of the ex even once, but if I do it will be in amazement at how good things have been since she's been gone. And believe me, the kids will understand too.

And if/when you're ever in California, any part, north or south, you're more than welcome to take my car out, thrash it. That should recharge things on the car front. Whenever you're ready.
effutuo101
Hey Doug! The stuff to plumb my turbo should be done next week. I will send you pictures here as soon as I have them. Oil and collant.
Your build has kept me inspired. Now I can return the favor!
PanelBilly
Put the interior together. Hell, I put mine together and. Know I need to pull it apart again to do the throttle cable and shift rod. Let's face it, it will be a fun project. As you're assembling it, keep in mind that you need to make it easy to pull back apart. Get some black vinyl for gluing in where the body isn't covered by carpet. Takes time to cut out all strips
CptTripps
Thanks again for all the support. I'm starting to get a bug up my butt to finish this thing. I still want to drop it off to have someone else work on the motor. I've come too far to have it screwed up by my "below average" mechanic skills.

I have a few people lined up right now. If I'm not under the gun, this should go a lot smoother.
Chris H.
I'm with you Doug...there were a couple of things that most people think are pretty do-able in the conversion process but I DON'T so I paid someone to do it right (or someone did it for me just to be nice, like Kent). Nothing wrong with that.
TeckniX
Doug,
Sorry to hear about the current curve ball, the great thing about these forums is you have supporters, passionate people and gurus always willing to help.

I'm about 3hrs from you, but willing to come up to knock out a couple of things.

For the BOV, you could snatch a simple bov pipe for cheap and simply put it in-line with the rest of the piping.

IPB Image

You should have enough room between the turbo and the water-cooler to get it mounted.
I'm sure there's a lot of discussion around placement, and this made sense to me:
http://www.dragsource.com/index.php?navsel...articletoview=7
76-914
There ya go Doug; the answer to your prayers. smile.gif Looks like you'll finish before Chris an I, now. Call this man and handcuff him to your engine bay. biggrin.gif
effutuo101
QUOTE(TeckniX @ Jul 29 2014, 11:14 AM) *

Doug,
Sorry to hear about the current curve ball, the great thing about these forums is you have supporters, passionate people and gurus always willing to help.

I'm about 3hrs from you, but willing to come up to knock out a couple of things.

For the BOV, you could snatch a simple bov pipe for cheap and simply put it in-line with the rest of the piping.

IPB Image

You should have enough room between the turbo and the water-cooler to get it mounted.
I'm sure there's a lot of discussion around placement, and this made sense to me:
http://www.dragsource.com/index.php?navsel...articletoview=7

Nice!

Ok Doug, i need my ordered parts to arrive and about another 2k to get my car back on the road. Do we have a race?
CptTripps
Actually, I do have a very similar valve. I thought I had to have something more elaborate but it appears I can just get a "T" silicone fitting. That could be a good way to do it.

Hmmmm....
CptTripps
Not a LOT of progress, but I did get the headlight motors hooked up and raising/lowering the buckets last night.

One foot in front of the other...and I'll be there in no time. Right?
effutuo101
yep. I am almost at a point to dedicate 1 hour a day to my project. That makes time fly!
Chris H.
I just try to do SOMETHING every day, even if it's 10 minutes.
CptTripps
QUOTE(effutuo101 @ Aug 5 2014, 01:59 PM) *

yep. I am almost at a point to dedicate 1 hour a day to my project. That makes time fly!

That's exactly what I need to do. Take an egg timer out to the garage with me or something.

I think if I just get the wheels on and put the car on the ground, it'll help my mental state. Even if I just put it there for a few hours to get it off jack stands and out of the garage.
JRust
A little bit a day does help. After a while the incentive get's a little cloudy. Something that I'll try to do is get a buddy over for a couple hours. Amazing how much you can get done in a day with a helper. Doesn't even need to be much of a mechanic. Definitely helps if they have a teener too. Just makes it a little smoother work day. Just have a plan to tackle a particular thing. I don't accomplish much when I go out with no plan. I'll jump from one thing to another & really not accomplish much of anything. So even if you just have 15min. Have a plan of what your going to do.

I am the king of letting things sit. I am a feast or famine guy. Mine will sit for 8 months. I'll work on it hot & heavy for a month. Then it sits again (my v8 conversion is a great example). Although it's been sitting close to 2 years now dry.gif . I'm a walking contradictin blink.gif
CptTripps
A question about the BOV: Can I put it in my trunk? Is there an issue with me blasting extra pressure into there? I'm not recirculating at that point, and the cool "wishhh" sound would be in my trunk, but that'd be the easiest/quickest way for me to do it.
effutuo101
you can. You can plumb it out the bottom of the car if you want. it is just wasted air.
CptTripps
QUOTE(effutuo101 @ Aug 5 2014, 03:53 PM) *

you can. You can plumb it out the bottom of the car if you want. it is just wasted air.

That's what I'm thinking. Just blow it out the bottom of the trunk.
effutuo101
biggrin.gif
Sorted!
CptTripps
Ordered this today for $25 from Amazon. I can shorten it a bit and put it wherever I want. This should be perfect.
914forme
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Aug 7 2014, 03:54 PM) *

Ordered this today for $25 from Amazon. I can shorten it a bit and put it wherever I want. This should be perfect.

You might want to leave it as is. The humps will help you from hoses blowing off. Make sure you get quality T clamps and hoses. My old TDI ran 45 PSI boast levels, I had to change all my intercooler piping from the turbo on out. All joints had 12" of slip and double T clamps on each side and that finally solved my constant issue of tubes blowing out of the silicone connector hoses.

You shouldn't see that kind of boast range with your little gas engine, but it is the point that these things do leak, and air will find or create a least restrictive pass to atmosphere. It really does not like being compressed, shoved down a series of pipes, chilled, and then burnt. If air molecules have feelings this would be like their own personal trip to hell. I would try to form a revolt, and find the weakness in my prisons defenses and escape also.
CptTripps
Stephen-

I forgot to properly thank you for the headlight motor pieces. You gave me the EXACT 3 parts I was missing. It was actually quite amazing. That's the one thing I've done to the car in a month and a half. One more thing to check off the list!
d914
votion is good for all those turbo plumbing needs also..
914forme
Not a problem, glad they where of use, life gets in the way, sometimes the little things can start you rolling in the correct direction and like a small ball in the snow, as it rolls you pickup more snow. Pretty soon your ball will pickup speed and rolling faster and faster down hill.

Wish I could come up and help you, but my schedule is booked out through October. We have been told not to ask for leave until Mid October. As of right now, I am in the middle of a huge network upgrade, and have ~58 hours and 51 minutes to get it done. Sometimes I wonder why I am still in this game! Because I love doing what people say is impossible, and Im a little screwy.gif Okay maybe more than a little bit confused24.gif
Van914
Stephen - you said it!
sunglasses.gif
CptTripps
The part I ordered isn't going to cut it, so I'm dropping the hot-side piping off tonight to have a BOV mount welded to it. I'm also having him make me 1" inserts for the radiator tubing and weld the Wide-Band bung in the exhaust so that'll be nice and tidy.

From there I should be able to sort the rest of the tubing and get this project off dead center and moving in the right direction.

Distractions suck.
Dr Evil
Borrowed this one smile.gif
CptTripps
Theoretically, if I wanted to put a "build party" together for a few days...who would be in? I'm thinking the first or second weekend in September? I'd love to have it running by "09/14"

I'd cover hotel rooms and food for everyone over a weekend. I think I'm close enough that if 2-3 people helped me, I could be driving the thing around, sans interior, after a day of wrenching.

Anyone???
tdgray
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Aug 18 2014, 08:51 AM) *

Theoretically, if I wanted to put a "build party" together for a few days...who would be in? I'm thinking the first or second weekend in September? I'd love to have it running by "09/14"

I'd cover hotel rooms and food for everyone over a weekend. I think I'm close enough that if 2-3 people helped me, I could be driving the thing around, sans interior, after a day of wrenching.

Anyone???

Let me know when... will pack tools and head north smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.