Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CptTripps' Restoration 2 - The Grey Matter Build
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25
Chris H.
Pass that over... popcorn[1].gif

Doug you got a long way with this one. Totally understand where you got stuck. Makes sense to have someone help you wrap it up who has done it before. Check out Andrew's thread for interior ideas. His has a similar general shape/layout.
Spoke
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Oct 9 2016, 01:40 PM) *

All loaded up and heading to southern Ohio for some engineering!

Can't wait to see the car with the finishing touches done. Looks great so far. So did you sell the car or just getting some help finishing it?
914forme
Help finishing it. It is a very nice car in person, and just needs a little bit of fabrication and systems cleanup to make it drivable for Doug. He has gone from thinking it will always be on jack stands forever. To it will be out on the road running and driving. Scott has set a pretty lofty goal for getting it running and back to Doug.

It is running snow tires so I am not sure what the rush is confused24.gif
db9146
Scott Amenson is VERY talented when it comes to fabrication. I saw some of his work at Okteenerfest when he was walking me through some of the build of his Subie-powered 914. Very nice work....so if anyone can get the plumbing and wiring whipped into shape, Scott can.
CptTripps
I can't thank Stephen and Scott enough for coming out last weekend and picking her up from me. Being back in the garage for a day getting everything ready for transport was like walking into a time machine. I hadn't been out there in about 2 years, and I forgot where everything was. What started out with the best intentions of getting everything ready for him, turned into a "shove stuff in a box" competition.

After we loaded it up on the truck, I just told Scott "Do whatever you want. You're not going to offend me at all by re-doing anything I did." to which he replied "Oh, I've got a list alright."

It'll be awesome to watch from here to see how things progress. I plan on heading down there when he's ready for me to work on wiring. Perhaps I can get Dr. Evil to drive out an assist with that again? ;-)
Amenson
Thanks for the kind comments...pressure it building, better get to work.

First order of business was to install the service cover that arrived today. This thing is really nice. Should have purchased one a long time ago, my car might still have decent pain.

Click to view attachment

Storage bag is even signed first.gif
Click to view attachment

Now I can get to work. First task is to flip the intake so I can get a feel where things will end up. Snaked all of the wiring out of the way and went to remove the throttle cable. WTF is this Doug blink.gif Add that to the list.

Click to view attachment

Some cool stuff under here. What is the coolant line with the AN fittings?
Click to view attachment

Apparently the manifold is not quite symmetrical on the bottom side and the additional lugs interfere with the turbo inlet. D sawzall-smiley.gif Didn't take long to have to start cutting.
Click to view attachment

This looks promising, if only the throttle body fasteners were the same size as the other manifold. Bolts are too big.
Click to view attachment

Rinse and repeat.
Click to view attachment

There we go. IC will fit perfectly.
Click to view attachment

Doug, did you order the alternator relocation parts yet?
Click to view attachment

I can almost smell burning snow tires. sunglasses.gif

Cheers,
Scott
Spoke
Great to see this project moving forward. It was a real bummer to see your project get stalled by life but it's best to get the important things taken care of first.

I'd like to help out but I'm a bit too far away with way too little free time it seems anymore. I really appreciated your consultation and help getting going with the prototype 914 brake LED boards and figuring out how to secure the turnsignal boards. I'd like to return the favor.

How about we trade your prototype brake and turnsignal boards for current brake, turnsignal, reverse, front sidemarker (if your car still has them) and front turnsignal boards? This way all the boards will be up to date when your car gets on the road.

beerchug.gif
CptTripps
Scott: alternator relocation stuff should be on the way. I'll call today. Also, let me know what you need me to order for the throttle. I have no clue what part you were referring to that you were holding.

Spoke: More than happy to swap. Let's let Scott get it running and when I bring it back to Cleveland to finish up, we'all chat about it. Thanks for the offer!
914forme
The part in hand is your throttle cable, and it needs replaced.
Dr Evil
Glad to see this getting some love. Ill help as able, when able, with whatever.
Amenson
I am stalled in the engine compartment until the alternator relocation parts arrive so I moved to the front. Had to put it up on the lift to get to the bottom of the tank.

Don't worry Grey...you will be back on your tires in no time.
Click to view attachment

Almost a clean slate.
Click to view attachment

Almost cut out the radiator mounts but wanted to sleep on it to make sure my plan makes sense. yellowsleep[1].gif

Doug, what are the dimensions of the spare you want to put up front?

Cheers,
Scott
effutuo101
Looking good Doug!
914forme
Hoping it is a space saver as all others will be to big.

How about a small air compressor, tire plug kit, and a AAA card biggrin.gif

Did not realize the fender well vests where so huge, I'm surprised we did not bring a cat or two back with us from Doug's blink.gif
CptTripps
I'll measure the spare when I'm in Cleveland this weekend. It's honestly the least of my worries though. I like Stephen's idea better anyway. biggrin.gif

Got your email about the parts-list to order...as always, I'm on it.
Amenson
The Outfront alternator relocation parts arrived today. Couldn't wait to see how things would work together so I took a few minutes before my soccer game to install it. Unfortunately one of the stock hard cooling line connections was in the way so I am going to have to wait. hissyfit.gif

Click to view attachment

Not a big deal, just a little sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif and we will be good to go.

Cheers,
Scott
914forme
That Alt relocation brakes looks like a very simple clean design. wub.gif Lets see a picture off the engine. I would like to get the design etched into my head, for future reference.

Amenson
QUOTE(914forme @ Oct 20 2016, 05:15 AM) *

That Alt relocation brakes looks like a very simple clean design. wub.gif Lets see a picture off the engine. I would like to get the design etched into my head, for future reference.

If it works half as well as it looks, this is just one of the parts to purchase and not spend the time to recreate it.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Cheers,
Scott
914forme
wub.gif drooley.gif
CptTripps
Looking good...That got there a lot faster than he told me it would. I was expecting a call before he shipped, and he said it might be another week before that. Wow. Parts look fantastic.
Amenson
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Oct 20 2016, 10:13 AM) *

Looking good...That got there a lot faster than he told me it would. I was expecting a call before he shipped, and he said it might be another week before that. Wow. Parts look fantastic.

This might be the third part that I use unmodified on a Suby swap. The only suby swap parts on my car that I used unmodified were the dash and the double splined locking thingy for the transmission.

Everything else is sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif

Cheers,
Scott
effutuo101
I was at outfront last week. I picked up a new oil filler set up that is a little cleaner.
CptTripps
QUOTE(effutuo101 @ Oct 20 2016, 01:52 PM) *

I was at outfront last week. I picked up a new oil filler set up that is a little cleaner.

We looked at using that one, but I couldn't use it with my air/oil separator. So we went a different direction. I'll let Scott post pics of what he's going to do when he gets to it. Going to be very cool! (of course.)
CptTripps
I've got some fancy new parts headed your way Scott.
Amenson
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Oct 20 2016, 05:36 PM) *

I've got some fancy new parts headed your way Scott.

I need to do more projects for other people. I really enjoy getting parts in the mail and now I can get them and don't even have to pay for them!

I pulled the offending coolant line tonight and installed the alternator. It is really close but I will be able to snake the tube under the manifold and past the alternator.

Click to view attachment

This install is going to be super clean and functional. Loads of sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif in the coming weeks.

Cheers,
Scott
Amenson
No actual progress this weekend. Had to winterize the yard and take care of a few honey-do's. Lot's of parts showing up so I took some time to organize the garage. Nothing more frustrating than searching for parts or tools.

Speaking of parts, Doug....if you wanted to go big, now is the time.

I was "helping" Stephen find a snail for his project and found this.

2.0L Subaru Borg Warner EFR 6758 and E85
Click to view attachment

Now wouldn't that be exciting! blink.gif

Cheers,
Scott
914forme
And that is a great snail drooley.gif Very nice broad map happy11.gif

Click to view attachment

poke.gif DO IT in my most evil Star wars voice poke.gif

CptTripps
Great suggestion, but the vf39 should be plenty for me. I know everyone is saying I'll want more HP later, but my target was 250hp and it's looking like I'll be way over that now. Hell, I had a blast in my 2.0 and that was only 100hp.

Besides Scott, your car scared the shit out of me.
Amenson
I havn't been slacking...promise yellowsleep[1].gif

Just about done with the radiator mount. All made from flat.

Bottom will be held in place by the pins in rubber grommets. IC heat exchange will be mounted with 4 tabs to the radiator frame.
Click to view attachment

Fits like a glove. Still need to make end pieces for the bottom to weld to the chassis and stiffen everything up.
Click to view attachment

The vertical angle pieces are there temporarily to hold the top and bottom pieces in place as I take it in and out for fitment.
Click to view attachment

Tight gaps will make it easy to put down pretty welds.

Cheers,
Scott
CptTripps
Looking good Scott. I knew you'd have a better way to do the radiator.
76-914
It's a good idea to tape some protective cardboard to cover the fins during construction. beerchug.gif
Amenson
Why do things the easy way when I can spend countless hours on details no one will ever notice.

Made the feet for the lower part of the rad mount.
Click to view attachment

In place.
Click to view attachment

Also made the mounts for the IC heat exchange.
Click to view attachment

I probably could have welded it all in place today but I did not remove the lower grommets while welding and ruined them. I though that I had two more but only had one.headbang.gif

Cheers,
Scott
CptTripps
Looking good Scott!

I'm a little pissed that I see orange paint. I'd paid to have the entire tub sand-blasted, but I guess they forgot part of the front trunk. Guess I missed that when I went to inspect it before they put the primer on. headbang.gif

Amenson
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Nov 14 2016, 09:01 AM) *

Looking good Scott!

I'm a little pissed that I see orange paint. I'd paid to have the entire tub sand-blasted, but I guess they forgot part of the front trunk. Guess I missed that when I went to inspect it before they put the primer on. headbang.gif

The orange paint was under some sort of rubbery calk stuff. I assume that it was from the previous radiator setup. It took some serious scraping to get up, sand blasting definitely would not have removed it.
CptTripps
Ah! Gotcha. That makes perfect sense. Yeah, the rubbery stuff never comes off with media blasting of any kind.
Amenson
Phase 1, mount the radiators is complete!

While doing the final fitting I did not like the way the holes lined up for the IC heat exchanger so I removed the bottom tabs and started over.

Click to view attachment

Much better now. No slotted holes allowed.

Click to view attachment

Welded in place. Getting to the bottom piece was the toughest TIG welding I have had to do. Good practice for when I put a cage in my car. Definitely going to need another tig torch with current control.

Click to view attachment

IC heat exchanger in place.

Click to view attachment

And the radiator just drops in.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Now on to running the hose to the radiator.

Cheers,
Scott

914forme
I like, now to redo my mounts dry.gif
Amenson
QUOTE(914forme @ Nov 20 2016, 10:37 AM) *

What should I work on next so that you can avoid additional rework poke.gif sawzall-smiley.gif

I really do not want to hear you bellyaching about how I made you miss your birthday goal. driving-girl.gif
914forme
QUOTE(Amenson @ Nov 20 2016, 10:54 AM) *

QUOTE(914forme @ Nov 20 2016, 10:37 AM) *

What should I work on next so that you can avoid additional rework poke.gif sawzall-smiley.gif

I really do not want to hear you bellyaching about how I made you miss your birthday goal. driving-girl.gif

LOL, I won't belly ache, I'll keep it to my self. Plan still is to be done for my birthday, and at least take it down the road. It might okay will be ugly, but I need to get to driving.gif
CptTripps
Looking awesome. That sure beats the hell out of the janky-ass mount I made up...consisting of one piece of 1" square tube.

Party on!
CptTripps
Quick question/comment for Scott:

Are you going to move where the radiator hose goes through the longs, or at least how they get routed there? I'm certain I had about 10' too much hose in that operation, and what I'd originally set up would have been a bitch to get bubbles out of the line.

Just curious if you found a better way.
Amenson
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Nov 23 2016, 10:33 AM) *

Quick question/comment for Scott:

Are you going to move where the radiator hose goes through the longs, or at least how they get routed there? I'm certain I had about 10' too much hose in that operation, and what I'd originally set up would have been a bitch to get bubbles out of the line.

Just curious if you found a better way.

Hose routing will definitely be different. Similar to mine with some tweaks. Should have it routed this week now that I am back from holiday travel. Stay tuned.

Cheers,
Scott
Amenson
Hose routing through the passenger compartment proof of concept. Still need to clean up the holes and install edge treatment...and weld the access hole closed.

Click to view attachment

No hint of kinking like I had initially with my setup. The silicone hose is really nice to work with.

Cheers,
Scott
IronHillRestorations
Wouldn't it be better to make a bolt on cover? How would you replace that line?
Spoke
QUOTE(Perry Kiehl @ Dec 4 2016, 10:27 PM) *

I was thinking the same thing. Does the hole need welded up to add rigidity to the long?
Amenson
QUOTE(Perry Kiehl @ Dec 4 2016, 09:27 PM) *

The hose is installed from the engine compartment and can be manipulated out of the long through the existing heater hole in the top of the long. I will leave that open for just this purpose.

Cheers,
Scott
Amenson
QUOTE(Amenson @ Dec 4 2016, 09:41 PM) *

QUOTE(Perry Kiehl @ Dec 4 2016, 09:27 PM) *

The hose is installed from the engine compartment and can be manipulated out of the long through the existing heater hole in the top of the long. I will leave that open for just this purpose.

Cheers,
Scott

This is the other side. I cut the hole in the long so that I could remove the elbow in the heater duct.

Click to view attachment

It was much more challenging than anticipated because the tube is almost touching the reinforcing plate in the center of the long.
Click to view attachment

Cheers,
Scott
CptTripps
Feel free to pull any/all of the Dynamat out of there. I'm actually thinking of taking it all out and just spraying the interior with Rhinoliner.

Looking good Scott. I'll reply to your email tonight when I have some time to sit down and go through everything.
CptTripps
QUOTE(Spoke @ Dec 4 2016, 09:28 PM) *

I was thinking the same thing. Does the hole need welded up to add rigidity to the long?

Longs have the chassis stiffening kit installed already, so they're already much beefier than stock.
Amenson
I had a chance to pop into the garage tonight. I reshaped the holes a bit and installed the edge treatment. I ran the full length hose from the rear to make sure I can fish it through without using the access hole.
Click to view attachment

Couldn't stop there so I ran it to the radiator.
Click to view attachment

Just to be clear, I had nothing do do with the angry beaver removal of the channel over the steering rack hump and have not decided what to do with it yet dry.gif

Cheers,
Scott
914forme
Someone needs to use a nice set of beading tools that someone else left behind poke.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.