Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: taco plate leaks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
steuspeed
So I took out my taco plate and gave it a nice cleaning and fresh paint. I used a new gasket and new copper screw seals with proper torque. Any tips for stopping the leaks? Thread sealant maybe? confused24.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Did you remove the temp probe holder plate and replace the o ring?
worn
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Aug 19 2013, 02:56 PM) *

I put some curil t on the two screws. Helped a little. Still seems to just want to ooze as a full time gig.
Dave_Darling
You didn't answer Curt's question:

QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Aug 19 2013, 03:56 PM) *

--DD
steuspeed

I can't remember. I thought I replaced everything with new including a new temp sensor. I was being super anal since the car was new to me and I wanted to do things right. On my last oil change I took the taco plate out to look at the temp sensor since my new gauge is not working. The damn thing was dripping all over the place with the two screws out, so I just put it back together real fast.
gunny
QUOTE(steuspeed @ Aug 19 2013, 08:25 PM) *

I can't remember. I thought I replaced everything with new including a new temp sensor. I was being super anal since the car was new to me and I wanted to do things right. On my last oil change I took the taco plate out to look at the temp sensor since my new gauge is not working. The damn thing was dripping all over the place with the two screws out, so I just put it back together real fast.

I just did the same thing when replacing my temp sensor it leaked a lot.
To resolve I ordered a new O-ring, gasket and crush washers. I found that the old O-ring was compressed compared to the new one. PO had used some RTV on the O-ring so I cleaned all surfaces with a green scratch pad including case. installed parts dry (some like to lightly coat O-ring in oil). I also replaced the two bolts (bought at Home Depot). Now everthing is dry as a bone.
ChrisFoley
Draganc had to replace his taco plate when he had a drip that wouldn't go away.
He measured it carefully and it was smaller than a good one - so the o-ring didn't fit tightly against the case.
There was no evidence of damage, it just didn't fit well enough anymore.
jaxdream
Is there possibly an over size o-ring one could get that would seal up better ??? As in larger diameter section , not overall larger diameter ??

Jack
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(jaxdream @ Aug 20 2013, 08:39 AM) *

Is there possibly an over size o-ring one could get that would seal up better ??? As in larger diameter section , not overall larger diameter ??

Jack

That requires a custom o-ring, available from VW/Porsche and not anywhere else afaik.
I searched when we did the group buy.
barefoot
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Aug 20 2013, 02:35 PM) *

QUOTE(jaxdream @ Aug 20 2013, 08:39 AM) *

Jack

That requires a custom o-ring, available from VW/Porsche and not anywhere else afaik.
I searched when we did the group buy.

If someone can measure the O-ring ID size and section width, I can look at the Parker catalog to see what might be a slight oversize.
Standard O-ring sizes are .070", .103", .139", .210" IIRC section size and they all come in a bewildering array of ID's. I would recommend Viton as it has a wide temperature range. Let me know and i may need some of my own and can buy a lot size.
Barefoot.
draganc
If you search my posts you will find pics and dimensions.
I bought a brand new plate from Porsche. I think it was $30 and the std. oring worked just fine.

DC
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.