Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shifting pattern shifted-
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mike Sanford
Haven't posted here much. Bought a 74 1.8 last September, it's mostly run well.

Suddenly, driving tonight, reverse is where 2nd should be, 2nd is where 4th used to be, 4th is impossible. Same shift happened to 1-3-5.

It's not the smoothest car, I've never been able to shift into first while moving, and had to search for 2nd until I got used to it. I have a bushing kit sitting around but haven't got to it, since the car was completely driveable until tonight.

It's been running a little hot, but it was 105F today.

Thanks,
Mike

SLITS
Bushings on coupler at the firewall (part of the rear shift rod)... if they're toast you'll have a hell of a time finding gears.

or

shift rods went out of adjustment.

or

firewall bushing

Ya gotta get under it and look to see if any have gone south.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Mike Sanford @ Aug 19 2013, 08:54 PM) *
Suddenly, driving tonight, reverse is where 2nd should be, 2nd is where 4th used to be, 4th is impossible. Same shift happened to 1-3-5.

My guess would be the shifter coupler cone set screw. When mine came undone i had the same symptoms.

The shift coupler is at the rear firewall. Once the screw comes out completely, you won't be able to shift at all.
If you still have the rubber boot over the coupler, you might find the screw in there.

They're one time use only ...
shades.gif
Mike Sanford
Probably can't get under it until the weekend. Will let you all know what I find.
Thanks for a head start on where to look.
euro911
Yeah, check all the shifter bushings ... probably should change them all

... and Home Depot has air conditioners on sale now poke.gif
nicabr
I had exactly the same problem last week on my '71 and it turned out that the firewall bushing was in pieces. Installed a new one and now it's so much easier to find the right gear.
Steve Snyder
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 20 2013, 12:17 AM) *

My guess would be the shifter coupler cone set screw.

agree.gif with Sir Andy; check that your linkage coupler set screw is tight. If it has come loose, you will need to buy a replacement (only a few bucks). It's an easy fix.
TheCabinetmaker
One time use on cone screws? I guess you guys never heard of blue locktite?
If the Allen head becomes just slightly loose , then I replace it.
rhodyguy
the set screw that james (jwest) is offering makes the one time use and locktite history.
Mblizzard
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Aug 20 2013, 05:09 AM) *

the set screw that james (jwest) is offering makes the one time use and locktite history.

I saw those just after I installed new ones and order a few extra to keep in the car. These will become the standard I think.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.