Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Stand Construction or Conversion?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mockmaw
Hi all,

I'm going to need an engine stand come next week. Can anyone provide information for either A. where I can buy one or B. plans to construct/weld one myself? I imagine the usual Type-IV stand will work fine? What about a type VW Type-I stand?

Any recommendations would be great, thanks!

-Tyler
GWN7
I bought a knockdown crain that came with a engine stand. The four "ears" on the stand adjust to every position. Just had to find some long metric bolts to fit the block and used some washers to space it out.
Aaron Cox
tweeks has the rolling kind and the benchmount yoke type....i used a furniture dolly and a workbench! mad.gif
seanery
There were a couple on ebay.
Aaron Cox
also, performance products has them....pelican parts may too. wink.gif
Brad Roberts
Just buy one. Harbor Freight and Costco have them CHEAP.

I think I have 5 now in the shop.

B
bander
I used a cheap one from FLAPS. The inside edge of the 4 ears need to be ground off to clear the lip on the bell housing mating surface.

It got a little awkward when I was holding only one case side for assembly. I used the 2 ears in the standard mounting holes and a third at the large inspection hole. The other problem with this is that you can not get the flywheel on while the engine is on the stand.

If the VW ones are cheap enough, I would go that way.
Brad Roberts
Bander is correct. I buy the cheapy and ad the expensive Porsche head unit to them.

B
Mockmaw
I already have a nice stand at home, so I'm really looking for plans or where to locate the head/adapter piece.
Gint
Guy on ebay sells these. You could make your own. I opted to pop for the $50.someodddollars to just buy a set and get back to work on the car. The stand is a FLAPS unit.

More details and pics in my "rusto" thread in my sig.
L8Apex
I'm thinking of welding up my own stand and attaching the VW engine mount thing to it. Hm... Wonder if i trust my welding abilities.
applescotty
J.C. Whitney has one for $29. I haven't used it, but it looks like the one this guy is using:

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/5181/thing2b.jpg
http://www.jcwhitney.com/product.jhtml?CAT...D=37057&BQ=jcw2
anthony
I saw a guy who made a nice type IV engine stand out of a tranny bell housing from a VW Bus and a cheap Type I stand.
Zeke
The bench top engine yoke doesn't fit in the FLAPS stand. Too small. I had to make a sleave. Made it out of a bent strut. The 911 yoke is much heavier and nicer. If you think you will every do a six, get it. Not cheap. Don't know about the Ebait thing. What the link?
Gint
That V-dub stand looks shaky to me for a Type-IV, let alone a 6

Milt:
The guy does buy it now auctions for his bracket set. The price was 52.50 + shipping. I like it. It got the job done and is stable. Here's the guys info:

Item name: Porsche 911/914/356/VW Engine Stand Bracket
Item #: 2408954118
Buy It Now price: $52.50
Quantity: 1
Subtotal: $52.50(Shipping and Handling not included)
Seller User ID: teambeaverracing
Seller E-mail: glencoad@hotmail.com
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.