Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Air Intake System
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
I am putting my 2.0 back together and so far everything is looking really good. Got all the cooling tin painted, case cleaned and align bored, heads rebuilt, new euro P/C's, smog equip. stripped, etc. As I am getting ready to put it all back together I found that I don't like the look of that big structure used for the air intake. Just too damn big and covers all of the new shiny bits. Is there an after market set up that is not too expensive? I saw one on ebay awhile back that basically looked like a piece of 2-3 inch pvc elbow with a K&N filter clamped to the end of it. Any body know how to make something like that? Any help or advise is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
McMark
With a 2.0 intake being straight up, can't you just get a K&N that fits right onto the throttle body?
Allan
I will still need a place to hook up a hose or 2 and would have to put some type of riser between the filter and throttle body. I don't know how much room there is between the throttle body and rain tray.
eeyore
Something like this?

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/Pro...131&prmenbr=361
Allan
I would like to go with something that simple but I'm sure I'll need at least 2 places to hook up hoses wont I? I think one for the charcoal cannister and the crank case vent?
McMark
Drill them into the top or put a small PCV spacer below with fittings in it.
dlo914
spent $40 for the K&n Filter & $10 on clamps and PVC piping....
JoeSharpOld
Alan: Check out a thread titled She's Running. Pictures. By newdeal 2. It uses a PVC T and 2 filters with lots of space for hoses. I liked enough to look into it for my car. biggrin.gif
Joe
dlo914
here's what the PO had installed....
Allan
I think I have found the answer!! Please refer to newdeal2's post on his recent runner. And thanks Joe.
Tom73
Something like this:

IPB Image

Check E-Bay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...sspagename=WD1V
Maltese Falcon
Allan, you can make this from pvc, a steel u-bend. The pvc is referred to as "The ghetto ram air" style - as it is called on many other boards I read ! If you are not running a rain lid, watch out for those downpours- cone filters will suck in water.
If you need any short bends, PM me and I'll send you a few ( 2"/ 2.5" or 3") . Ubends run about $20 ea. but you can have the rems for freebies boldblue.gif
Allan
Yes, just like that but a c-note seems really steep for the parts involved in making it.
mattillac
i made one of those things for my '75 2.0. i think i need to try a different tubing length or something, cuz the damn things resonates with a nice low whistle/hum noise at low rpms.

"huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuummmmm!" smash.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Dumped my factory air filter years ago.

K&N air filter=$40.00
PVC pipe and fitings=$4.00
A little imagination=priceless

$20.00 for a ubend?
$100.00 for the setup? bs.gif pissoff.gif finger.gif
newdeal2
Hey guys...the T fitting with barbed fittings for the hoses [4] and 2 K&N filters. Also need some nice hose clamps and a rubber insert at the throttle body to make up the difference in dimension on the pvc pipe.

I said in my thread "She's Running" I will be posting pictures with details in a few days so be patient.It makes no funky noise except sometimes when you shut her down and then it's a cool air , hiss, suck sort of deal biggrin.gif
Bruce Allert
QUOTE(McMark @ Dec 9 2004, 05:21 PM)
With a 2.0 intake being straight up, can't you just get a K&N that fits right onto the throttle body?

I tried it and it works without the rain tray... I can't run w/o the tray blink.gif

.....b
Rhodes71/914
I have been thinking about this since this thread a little over a month ago. Air Intake

I too am in the process of putting my 2.0 back together and like the idea of getting the coolest air to the intake. Check out Demick's 4 hp for $4 I think I am going to do some variation of this.

Sean
DJsRepS
I used my stock 1.7 rubber elbow thing to the orignal oil bath without cutting anything.
DJsRepS
The yellow lines in the above pic are my black gas lines covered with yellow heat shrink. I colored my vacuume lines. Colors availble Blue Red Yellow White Clear and Black.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.