Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can the oil filter housing be removed with the engine in the car?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tornik550
As the title says- can the oil filter housing on a -4 be removed with the engine in the car. At least without major difficulty.
bandjoey
A little trouble but doable. See pelican parts tech artic with pictures on changing oil cooler seals and U can see how the filter base comes out.
type47
Do you mean the intermediate flange that the oil filter mounts on?
Click to view attachment
If you are, then no you can't remove it easily with the engine in the car. It'd save time to remove the engine due to the items that must be removed from the engine to get to the top nut holding the flange (front engine tin, fan, fan housing with alternator, oil cooler). Just been through this ...
tornik550
Yes- I am talking about the intermediate flange.

I suppose I should change my question to- is there a good way to plug the filter bypass valve without removing the engine?
McMark
Not really.
type47
QUOTE(tornik550 @ Aug 21 2013, 11:57 AM) *

Yes- I am talking about the intermediate flange.

I suppose I should change my question to- is there a good way to plug the filter bypass valve without removing the engine?

I just bit the bullet and dropped the engine. Again, I think there is not a good way to easily plug the filter bypass valve without removing the engine. I had a friend install a plug he basically custom machined to fit (thanks Root).

see page 10:

https://pcapotomac.org/attachments/article/...ugustdV2013.pdf

stugray
Maybe a better question is:

"is it possible to remove the oil filter and plug the relief hole without removing the intermediate flange?"

Stu
stugray
Here is a pic:

IPB Image

You can see the pressed in valve "seat" that has the ball valve behind it.
If you were to pull that out, the resulting hole appears to be ~.72"
The "Boss" around that hole is ~1"

I think you could pull out the seat and tap that hole to 3/4"
Add a plug and youre done.

confused24.gif maybe?

I would try it with the spare just for grins, but I dont want to ruin one just for the experiment.

However I did try to see how much pressure it takes to open the valve but the pressure is so low it would be hard to test.
I am guessing well below 10 PSI.

Stu
tornik550
QUOTE(stugray @ Aug 21 2013, 08:03 PM) *

Here is a pic:

IPB Image

You can see the pressed in valve "seat" that has the ball valve behind it.
If you were to pull that out, the resulting hole appears to be ~.72"
The "Boss" around that hole is ~1"

I think you could pull out the seat and tap that hole to 3/4"
Add a plug and youre done.

confused24.gif maybe?

I would try it with the spare just for grins, but I dont want to ruin one just for the experiment.

However I did try to see how much pressure it takes to open the valve but the pressure is so low it would be hard to test.
I am guessing well below 10 PSI.

Stu

I'll let you know in a few days if it works cause I just tried it. Worst case scenario- it doesn't work and I have to mount a new intermediate plate.

I filled the bypass hole with JB weld- then found a plug that was slightly oversized and then pounded it in. I coated the edges of the plug with JB weld. It is very firmly in place.
stugray
Based on this thread, it is definitely possible:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=218024

Based on the pictures there, you do not even need to loosen the oil cooler.

Thanks sean_v8_914!

Stu
Cap'n Krusty
I think I tried it once, and I think I ended up removing the engine. Look, TWO thoughts, both related, in one day! Pretty good, huh?

The Cap'n
tornik550
I just did the repair with my engine in the car. I removed the shroud and oil cooler. Took 2 hours. Now it appears there is an easier way.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(tornik550 @ Aug 28 2013, 08:01 AM) *

I just did the repair with my engine in the car. I removed the shroud and oil cooler. Took 2 hours. Now it appears there is an easier way.

Trust me, I've never had even the most remote interest in removing the fan shroud with the engine in the car, even when I was young and limber. To me, that seems like the hardest of all possible hard ways .........................

The Cap'n
r_towle
If you are trying to get away with the least amount of effort here, you can just "drop" the engine and then remove the front fan shroud and tin...
Still a PITA and in my opinion, not worth the effort considering all that is left is the axles and shifter.

I actually drop the motor for valve adjustments....just cause its easier to do ......

rich
stugray
If you are trying to get away with the least amount of effort here, you can just "drop" the engine and then remove the front fan shroud and tin...

based on the pics from the thread linked above, you do not have to remove the shroud.

The pics show that you can get to the upper bolt on the intermediate flange without issue.

IPB Image

Stu
Drums66
....If &'s or but's candy & nut's(save your knuckle's) idea.gif
bye1.gif flag.gif
toadman
This past winter I changed the oil cooler and seals with the engine in the car. I did not have to remove the fan shroud. In the process I did have to remove the oil filter mount. It was not an easy or quick job but, even for a non-mechanic like me, it is possible. I got most of my information from a 10 or 12-step procedure that Clay Perrine outlined in a thread here on 914World Garage. I did have to make a few mid-course adjustments but it is definitely doable.
tornik550
Unfortunately, I did not realize that I didn't have to remove the shroud. However, it really wasnt that difficult.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.