Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speaking of clutches
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Chris H.
I've noticed a moderate shudder when releasing the clutch ONLY when taking off from a stop. If I baby it I can prevent the shudder. Here's what I think:

1. Pressure plate slightly warped/in need of resurfacing

or

2. Motor/tranny mounts bad

What would you guys think generally? I know the mounts are easy to check, and I will do that tonight, just wondering if there might be another issue I am not thinking of. I don't really have any other symptoms of a bad clutch other than it needs to be adjusted. It seems to fully engage and I have no grinding at all.

Thanks,

Chris H.
madd_dogg_914
How muich of a shudder? I was having this problem, and it turned out to be a leaking mainshaft seal at the rear of the engine. It would drip oil into the clutch housing, and the clutch disc eventually started to soak up some of the oil. When I would release the clutch a little bit faster than normal then I would get a shudder. Required just a little bit more gas then normal and I wouldn't even notice it. Finally gave in and replaced my clutch and it hasn't happened since. Just a thought, I could be terribly wrong.

-Chris
Chris H.
Chris,

Not much of a shudder. Same deal, a little more gas and it is fine. If you catch it just right it can be moderately bad though.

The shifter moves a little when I accelerate, so I think it's mounts, but I really appreciate the feedback. You never know... could be both.

All I know is it's getting to the point of irritating the crap out of me so I'm gonna fix it.

Thanks for the feedback!

Chris H.
need4speed
Shudder going into first sounds like the classic broken cable guide tube,
(disclaimer: in the Type 1 VW world. . .)
Chris H.
Hope not! This was a gradual thing, so I think it's OK if the clutch tube is what you mean. I'm about to peek under there in a minute.
TonyAKAVW
I had that problem with my car, and just recently took out the clutch to have a look. Sure enough the clutch pad was really worn down. Also, the inside of the clutch area was full of grease and oil... probably didn't help much. My clutch tube is okay, (welded recently). I haven't put it back together yet to see if it works better but I suspect it will.

-Tony
madd_dogg_914
If your shifter is moving while accelerating in first (it would pull back towards the rear of the car) then it indeed is broken engine mounts. The really easy way to check this is:

Jack up the rear of the car and put jackstands on the donuts. get a peice of 2x4 and use the jack to jack up the motor just behind the engine mount bar (the 2x4 protects the oil sump pan). The engine should only move a little bit before it will actually start taking the whole car with it. If this is not the case and the engine just pulls away from the bar then BLAMMO, you got yourself some busted engine mounts. You can replace them yourself (hell I did it) with the engine in the car. You just gotta get used to your fingers doing some CRAZY stuff. The mounts themselves as I recall are fairly cheap only like $20/pair. Been a while, so I don't rightly remember, but I was poor and it wasn't a big deal at the time.

If that aint it, then I would guess the oil on the clutch disc, but only because that is what it was for me. Again, could be both

Good Luck!

-Chris
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.