Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Distributor recommendations
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Shindog1961
I need recommendations on a new distributor for a 1.7 original EFI rebuild.
Cap'n Krusty
Because the original distributor is an essential component of the D-jet system, only the original type will work. Using the same part number assures the mechanical and vacuum advance curves are correct for the engine. There are no available aftermarket units available, although I believe there have been efforts on the part of a couple of 914 enthusiasts to come up with an alternative to the stock distributor., in the form of crankshaft mounted DIS.

The Cap'n
Shindog1961
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 21 2013, 10:19 PM) *

Because the original distributor is an essential component of the D-jet system, only the original type will work. Using the same part number assures the mechanical and vacuum advance curves are correct for the engine. There are no available aftermarket units available, although I believe there have been efforts on the part of a couple of 914 enthusiasts to come up with an alternative to the stock distributor., in the form of crankshaft mounted DIS.

The Cap'n

Thanks Cap'n
JawjaPorsche
Have you tried Auto Atlanta?

http://www.autoatlanta.com/results.php?par...r=914%201970-76
SLITS
The 009 won't work with F.I. in the first place.

Second, it was designed for VW stationary engines and has a totally inappropriate advance curve.

Thirdly, the stock dizzy with the proper advance curve will give you the maximum HP the engine was designed for AND the proper gas mileage.

I should also add that this has been beat to death over the years and the best use of an 009 is a fishing line weight.
luskesq
There is a used on on EvilBay but not indication as to dist. # or whether the vac. adv. cannister is okay. Might be worth an inquiry.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PORSCHE-914-DISTRI...b61&vxp=mtr

On second thought, contact Bruce Stone (bdstone914). He likely has some and I'm sure others on the on the Board do as well.

Keith
SLITS
QUOTE(luskesq @ Aug 22 2013, 10:57 AM) *

There is a used on on EvilBay but not indication as to dist. # or whether the vac. adv. cannister is okay. Might be worth an inquiry.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PORSCHE-914-DISTRI...b61&vxp=mtr

On second thought, contact Bruce Stone (bdstone914). He likely has some and I'm sure others on the on the Board do as well.

Keith

Its a 0 231 174 005 which was replaced by 0 231 174 011 .... used on Porsche 914 2.0L engines
tracks914
Either way, put a Pertronix electronic conversion in it and never touch it again.
euro911
Check to see if yours has any wobble and wear. If it appears to be OK, take it apart, noting where everything was originally (a camera comes in real handy here), clean everything up, re-lube and reassemble it.

Also, stick a new o-ring on the base.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.