Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: COTM Sept-Oct 2013 POLL CLOSED
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
shawn914
CONGRATULATIONS ELLIOT.
Another COTM completed with 149 votes cast and Elliot captured 49% of the vote. To the other contestants - thank you for participating!

Welcome 914 World members to our Car Of The Month contest for the September-October period. After two months of ellisor3’s outstanding Tangelo Pearl 3.2L on the home page, it’s time to vote for the next COTM. The COTM is voted on exclusively by 914 World members. Exercise your right!

Each nominee was asked the following questions, with their answers posted above the picture of the car.

1. Model Year:
2. Engine: displacement and number of cylinders
3. Color: an "official" name or paint code.
4. Brand and size of wheels front and rear
5. (optional) maximum 4 words you would use to describe car/experience of owning/building

NOMINEES - PLEASE POST ADDITIONAL PICTURES OF YOUR CAR FOR THE "WORLD"!

Photos of engine, interior, trunk(s), or any other interesting, unique or novel aspect of the car are highly encouraged to highlight these fine examples of the Porsche 914.
shawn914
Britain Smith - Britain’s race car

1. Model Year: Originally 1974 - Subaru Engine and Lotus Elise Suspension from 2005.
2. Engine: 2.0L Subaru JDM STi Spec-C engine (4-cylinder Twin Scroll Turbo). ~400whp.
3. Color: Sunflower Yellow
4. Wheels: Bogart, Front 16x10, Rear 16x11.5
5. “ Exercise in Extreme Engineering”
Click to view attachment
shawn914
Crashdown - Matt’s car

1. Model Year: 1970
2. Engine: 2.2L Type 4
3. Color: Mini Cooper Pepper White
4. Wheels: Jongbloed 15x7 all the way around
5. “ A Work In Progress”
Click to view attachment
shawn914
1stWorks – Scotty’s car

1.Model Year: 1972 body 1973 engine side shift 5 speed trans
2. Engine: rebuilt 4 euro pistons, cam, modified fuel injection, short intake, headers, supertrap.
3. Color: Porsche Grand Prix White
4. Wheels: Vintage Revolution ATX 15 x7 front and rear.
5. “Purpose built, race ready”

Click to view attachment
shawn914
Neo914-6 – Felix’s car

1. Model Year: 1974, designed for 2006
2. Engine: 2.7L V6
3. Color: Porsche Seal Grey
4. Wheels: Porsche BBS Techno's, front 18x8, rear 18x10
5. “Best car experience ever...”
Click to view attachment
shawn914
Elliot Cannon – Elliot’s car

1. Model Year: 1973
2. Engine: 2.2 liter 4 cyl.
3. Color: Black
4. Wheels: Cup wheels from Spain or Italy
5. “Constantly evolving vehicle”
Click to view attachment
DRPHIL914
piratenanner.gif
Shawn, I really love that you selected 5 cars that are a variety of modification from the extreem of Britian's car, the more sublime of matt's car. Some excellent choices/nominations! it's going to take some time to decide! It will be fun to see how the voting shakes out.
- so thanks for doing the COTM!

aktion035.gif
nathansnathan
They're all a little too modified for me. Usually there's at least one car that has a semblance of stockness in the running for us nazis... I mean purists. smile.gif
CrashDown
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

-Matt
1stworks

I feel this car is the quintessential balanced 4.Light,fast and fun to drive.It has nothing thats not needed to go fast.
1972 body,complete stiffening kit,boxed rear trailing arms,bilstien with heavy spring.Adjustable front sway bar,rear sway.new bushings everywhere.
The car is pleasure to drive,stiff but doesn't jar your teeth loose over bumps.
The engine is a mystery,guy i bought it from said it was built buy Porsche mechanic with euro pistons.It sounds like it has cam too.modified D jet fuel injection.The car runs fantastic all the way to 14000 ft pulling hard.The inside is bare bones.No heater,radio or vents.Just sparco seats with 5 pt harness.
I have had so much fun with this car.I drive it everywhere,and would not b afraid to drive it cross country.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
1stworks

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Thanks everyone!!!!!
hot_shoe914
Well, I would have voted for Britain, but since he is afraid to come to nationals, my vote goes to Ellyut. first.gif
Britain Smith
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Aug 22 2013, 06:32 PM) *

Well, I would have voted for Britain, but since he is afraid to come to nationals, my vote goes to Ellyut. first.gif

Ok, that hurts.

-Britain
grantsfo

http://youtu.be/8410qUT4QtA
Andyrew
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Aug 22 2013, 07:51 PM) *

http://youtu.be/8410qUT4QtA

Ahahahahahaha!
Mike Bellis
I voted for Elliott since he's old and may not live long enough to see the next car of the month poll... poke.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom_T
L-yut ..... smile.gif

.... cuz he flew with one of my old Rugby buddies!

.... and I've actually seen his car & liked it for a resto-mod 914! biggrin.gif
Dave_Darling
I'm pretty sure that this will continue my proud tradition of not voting for the car that wins...

--DD
Britain Smith
Ok, Ok...racecars never win COTM. Not sure why, but it is time to change that trend. Let's take a trip down memory lane and explore the life cycle of this one-of-a-kind 914.

Started life back in 1974...I sure it was a pleasant day in Germany...probably raining.

Skip forward to about 2002...an old guy that has been a staple on the 914Club/World since the beginning, JP Stein, got a hold of it and started down the modification process. One of the first things he did was to convert the car to a 2.7L 6-cyl and hammer the fenders for about 500hours to fit wider tires.
IPB Image

Then, in 2005...JP got bored over the winter and decided that Yellow was faster and proceeded to paint the car Sunflower Yellow. While he was there, he added even wider tires, HPH rear flares, and carbon fiber decklids.
IPB Image

In 2006, JP invited me to start co-driving the car with him. Within a couple of seasons, I convinced him to cut the windshield off and add a Richie Ginther windscreen, add a front splitter, and rear spoiler, and hype-up the motor a bit.
IPB Image

In 2010, JP sold the car to me and that is where the rabbit hole really began.

In 2011...after only 1 season as a 914/6, I sold the engine and started the conversion to Subaru power. Not just any Subaru engine, but a 2005 2.0L JDM STi Spec-C engine imported from Canada. I added a radiator in the front and mated it up to my 2-speed 901 transmission.

IPB Image

And who could forget this video of the first time it ran down my street.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cbhc_2y2lYU

That car ran great, however with that extra power we just couldn't get the car to handle right. Scrub radius issues in the front, and tire-hope issues in the rear. We tried added more rubber to the rear...
IPB Image

However, that only made the 40+ year old Porsche suspension design flaws even more apparent.

So, we decided to pick-up a 2005 Lotus that saw the wrong side of a BMW.
IPB Image

After a bit of cutting, we extracted what we needed from the Lotus. Front and Rear suspension, uprights, brakes, etc.
IPB Image

In 2012, after about 6months of cutting, welding, measuring, guessing...we successfully grafted from and rear a-arm suspension to the 914 chassis with inboard mounted Ohlin shocks and even wider bodywork. While we were there, we added a new cage.

Front:
IPB Image

Rear:
IPB Image

What could be better than a 914 that you could just removed the entire engine, transmission, and rear suspension with a couple of bolts.
IPB Image

So, with new "wider" bodywork we were ready to hit the track again.
IPB Image

In 2013, we made it look pretty by painting the body work, added a carbon fiber dual element rear wing, a carbon fiber from splitter, and replacing the weak 901 trans with a 930 box that now allows up to turn up the boost knob.
IPB Image

If you think about it...my car is just like the others on this board. It was stock at one point and then "Murphy's Law" kicked in and one thing lead to another.

So let's break the streak of racecar's not winning COTM...cast your vote for my 914 and I will see you at your next Autocross event smile.gif

-Britain

Britain Smith
Also, don't forget that the car won the first three 914 Autocross Shootouts, Marina, CA, Packwood, WA, and Medford, OR

IPB Image

IPB Image

-Britain

Elliot Cannon
As requested.
grantsfo
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Aug 23 2013, 03:42 PM) *

As requested.

Sweet!
Britain Smith
When you wake up this morning...be sure to vote for the yellow car because yellow is faster smile.gif

-Britain
Britain Smith
BUMP.

Remember...think Yellow smile.gif
76-914
Alright Ellyut, I voted for you, again and again. I also had 39 of my cousins join so they could stuff I mean vote for you. I feel that my usual bribe will not be enough considering the additional influence. Kent
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 26 2013, 02:09 PM) *

Alright Ellyut, I voted for you, again and again. I also had 39 of my cousins join so they could stuff I mean vote for you. I feel that my usual bribe will not be enough considering the additional influence. Kent

Tell ya what. If I win, I'll split the prize money with you. laugh.gif
StratPlayer
Told ya elliot, car of the month.....
SLITS
Oh shit ... first Obama ... now a Vegan.
shawn914
Click to view attachment

Now that I have your attention...

What is one right of every US citizen?
The right to vote in a federal election, and also 914World COTM!
SirAndy
QUOTE(shawn914 @ Aug 26 2013, 07:05 PM) *

Does that mean i have to retract my vote? Am i going to be deported now for voter fraud?
confused24.gif
bigkensteele
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 27 2013, 06:21 PM) *

QUOTE(shawn914 @ Aug 26 2013, 07:05 PM) *

Does that mean i have to retract my vote? Am i going to be deported now for voter fraud?
confused24.gif

Must...must... hold my tongue.... Rules!!! Damn Rules!!!

You're safe as long as you vote for, er, the right people...
Socalandy
QUOTE(Britain Smith @ Aug 24 2013, 10:40 AM) *

When you wake up this morning...be sure to vote for the yellow car because yellow is faster smile.gif

-Britain

Yellow is my favorite color and it is fast but Elliot has a black beauty!!! I'm sure Shea is proud of you for not running a rear valance
NORD
How many more days for votes? I can't decide, Black or Yellow. confused24.gif
Britain Smith
QUOTE(NORD @ Aug 27 2013, 08:04 PM) *

How many more days for votes? I can't decide, Black or Yellow. confused24.gif

Go Yellow! I am coming from behind...

-Britain
Andyrew
Really low voter turn out so far. Normally around 150-200.

Youve got a chance Britain!
rick 918-S
Vote early and often!
Black22
QUOTE(SLITS @ Aug 26 2013, 03:50 PM) *

I voted and now I can see the voter tally......I can safely say that COTM is NO popularity contest! Nobody likes a Vegan!!! happy11.gif jsharp.gif jsharp.gif happy11.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Black22 @ Aug 27 2013, 10:37 PM) *

QUOTE(SLITS @ Aug 26 2013, 03:50 PM) *

I voted and now I can see the voter tally......I can safely say that COTM is NO popularity contest! Nobody likes a Vegan!!! happy11.gif jsharp.gif jsharp.gif happy11.gif

It doesn't mean you're a bad person. laugh.gif
shawn914
Familiar Get Out the Vote Rally Cry: Thanks to all the 914World members who have voted in this month’s contest. I encourage all members who have not voted to take a look and vote.

This month we have a unique collection of 914s as recognized by Philip W. early on – no Concours restorations to original this month. Love those cars too – but this month we celebrate and vote on modified 914s.

If you have not voted, go ahead and make a choice Here are a few observations acknowledging the efforts of this month’s COTM contestants. Good luck to all!

New COTM Rally:
Britains car is an outstanding example of not only a conversion to race prep, but a water cooled Subaru engine. Read his build thread. Amazing engineering and craftsmanship. We’ve seen excellent race cars before (last month), but water cooled with Subie STi engine with 400hp, not so much. Look at the group photos of Britain’s car – real 914 community involvement! And the car goes like a stabbed rat. Well done Britain and thanks for posting the images and rallying for COTM!

Elliot’s black 2.2L. Wow, the stance of Elliot’s car, combined with the sublime red contrasting components in the engine compartment and the dash/console treatment make for a COTM worthy car, not doubt. The mirrors, also not original to a 914, look amazing and inspire a move from the standard silver flags on a resto mod build. Thanks Elliot for entering the contest!

Felix’s highly modded 914 with a V6. This is an example of body work modifications done to 21st century standards. The car looks modern but unmistakably a 914. More pictures please. It’s almost not too late!! We have enough members to change this vote in a day with the right pictures… Inspired design – thanks for posting it.

Matt’s car is a subtle and amazing example of refinement, in some cases I think unique to prior COTM contestants. Carbon fiber treatment on this car, along with the switch panel between the seats and dash work suggest an amazing amount of work completed to a high standard. A “work in progress”, Ok, but who wouldn’t like to have a car in need of work at this stage? Nice car Matt –thanks for sharing.

Scotty’s white car. Can it be this month’s wolf in sheep’s clothing? The details on the car make it stand out amongst the competition; from the ignition switch and clean no radio dash to the remote MSD ignition and battery installations. The seats belie the purpose of the build, nicely executed. Well done Scotty, thanks for the photos and competing this month.
dlestep
Looking at all aspects of Elliot's and Britain's cars, I was torn between them for many different reasons.
I would like to have Elliot's car for the street and Britain's for the street and everything else !
Everyone ASPIRES to morph their cars to exactly how they drive and how they want it to look. Each have many desirable attributes.
I eventually fell on Britain's side of the fence because he engineered the weak aspects out of his car to remain competitive, against all odds, and stale convention.
I imagine that I wouldn't be able to drive his car at the limit, because my dick would get caught in the spokes of the steering wheel.

Britain Smith
QUOTE(dlestep @ Aug 28 2013, 08:00 AM) *

I imagine that I wouldn't be able to drive his car at the limit, because my dick would get caught in the spokes of the steering wheel.

Ok, now that is funny!

av-943.gif
Britain Smith
Glamor Shot!

IPB Image

-Britain
Britain Smith
Here is a good shot of some of my competition...

How about a 800whp GTR with massive slicks...yea, I beat him smile.gif

IPB Image

-Britain
Britain Smith
This always seems to happen when someone new gets behind the wheel...spin!!

It is harder than you think to drive a fast car fast!

One of the best things about Aero is that the faster you go...the faster to can go. smile.gif

IPB Image

-Britain

1stworks
Please vote for me :-)

IPB Image

icon_bump.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(1stworks @ Aug 28 2013, 02:29 PM) *

Please vote for me :-)

IPB Image

icon_bump.gif

I did.
shawn914
ttt
Hola!
bye1.gif

muy buen coche este mes
très belle voiture ce mois-ci
sehr schönes auto diesem monat!

Stimmen sie stattlicher hunde!!! piratenanner.gif
dlestep

Elliot voted for Scotty's car, now that is sportsmanship, and says alot about the man.
NORD
Had to go yellow and Britain. Elliot didn't even vote his car. Thier all nice.
1stworks
More guys want to vote about how long they have owned there 914's than car of the month......

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=218060

WTF.gif

Please vote beerchug.gif

Thanks Elliot for the vote!!!!!!

Ill by beers at RRC for the guys that vote biggrin.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.