Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wheels for flared fenders???
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vwzach
I am in the process of flaring the fenders on my 75 914. The back has been pushed out about 1.5" so far.

In the picture it has a 16X7 with a 1/2" spacer and 1/2" of tire hanging over the edge of the wheel. There is still a little room to spare.

Anyone have any suggestions for wheels? I would really like to stick with 15" but I know that might not be possible. I think 15X8 fuchs would work great but I can't seem to find any for a near reasonable price. I really don't want to spend more than a grand on wheels...

I also thought it might be interesting to go with stock wheels off of a late model 911 or boxter. Enough people get aftermarket wheels that the stock ones seem reasonably priced. Thoughts...

--zach
Aaron Cox
thoughts? my first one would be to shed them late model bumpers! tongue.gif heheh...nice look!
SirAndy
"cookie cutters" are cheap. you only get them as wide as 7" tho.
i paid $50 each for mine. i run 225/50 x 15.
they're about the same weight etc. as the fuchs.

i like em ...
just my 2 pfennig ...

IPB Image
IPB Image
Aaron Cox
driving.gif cookie cutters look supreme in chrome.....black is not my favorate.....
just my $9.14
vwzach
I had 15X7 cookie cutters on it before the flares. After all of the work flaring it would be really cool to put a wider wheel on it.
airsix
You can typically get a set of phone-dial's in 7x16 and 8x16 for $500. I paid $500 for mine including center caps, lugnuts, and Dunlop SP8000's with 50% tread. Be aware that they come in two offsets. Pre-'87 have the correct offset. '87+ will need spacers.

-Ben M.
seanery
A grand should be able to buy some nice rims.

I'd vote for 911 16" 6's & 8's or 7's & 8's.

or if you wanted late model stuff I bought a set of Boxster S 17" 7.5's & 9's for $800 with 70% tread.
They're on my 944 and look great, don't know how'd they'd look on a teener, not my cup of soup.
Dman
I have bought two sets of 15x7 phone dials this year. I paid $200 per set and they do come in 8".

Make sure you get the 23mm offset.
Bleyseng
Hey Thanks for posting that chart!!! I had lost it.
Zach will have problems racing in the GTU class of PCA AXing as you must run 15's. Can be 15x8 or 9 but no 16's.
Remember that the bigger rims add more weight and you don't have that much more hp than me. Wider track is nice so why not space out the 15x7 cookies?
JP went to wider rims and flared fenders but he is running about 220hp.
I think Campbell Nelson had some 8" cookies at the Three Tree Point yard.
Geoff
John Kelly
The 16" wheel just what I had laying around for a test fit. I think Zach is planning to run 15" wheels.

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
vwzach
A 15x8 cookie cutter would be perfect. Is there such a thing as 15x8 cookie cutters? The chart dosen't show that there is. If there is such a thing does anyone know what kind of car they came on? Anyone have a set they are looking to get rid of???
Dman
You may want to figure out what tire you want to run before you get all crazy about rims. If you go with Kumos, 225x15 is the widest you can get for a 15" rim and they recomend a 7" rim for that. 16" does not really expand your choices that much.
SirAndy
QUOTE(vwzach @ May 23 2003, 09:34 AM)
A 15x8 cookie cutter would be perfect. Is there such a thing as 15x8 cookie cutters? The chart dosen't show that there is. If there is such a thing does anyone know what kind of car they came on? Anyone have a set they are looking to get rid of???

no factory 8" cookie cutter sad.gif

i'm going to have mine widened to 8" and 9" ...
costs about $120 - $150 per wheel.

Andy
Scott
Well...if your looking for late 911 or Boxster wheel you'll be going to 17 inches. If you do that I happen to have some for sale. Probably the best looking ones I have seen. If you are coming down for the Parts Heaven swap meet in Hayward I will be there with them for sale. Here is some info on them.

Front Wheels are Hartman Racing 2 piece road/street
wheels with the dimensions of:

8X17 with a 5.25 inch inner offset (133.35mm or 13.335cm)

Front Tires are Yokohama A032R with the size of

245/45/ZR17

Rear Wheels too are Hartman Racing 2 piece road/street wheels with the dimensions of:

9.5X17 with a 5.5 inch inner offset (139.7mm or 13.97cm)

Rear Tires are Yokohama A032R with the size of

P275/40/ZR17

All 4 wheels have center caps with inlaid Porsche Crest.

All 4 wheels also have chrome valve stem covers that also have the Porsche Crest.

Both the wheels and tires are new. While the wheels and tires have been on a car, the wheels and tires have had no weight on them and have never hit the ground. The tires still have the manufacture’s stickers on them.

You were looking to spemd $1K on wheels...and what about another $800 on tires. I will part with the whole set as in the pics for $2K.
Scott Carlberg
QUOTE(vwzach @ May 22 2003, 03:00 PM)
I am in the process of flaring the fenders on my 75 914. The back has been pushed out about 1.5" so far.

I would really like to stick with 15" but I know that might not be possible. I think 15X8 fuchs would work great but I can't seem to find any for a near reasonable price. I really don't want to spend more than a grand on wheels...
--zach

There is a place in Stockton Ca that Widens wheels, does alot of
wheels for the drag racers in the area.

Kelley's Custom Wheel Service
209.547.9246 ph
209.547.9245 fax
SirAndy
QUOTE(AnAllOutRacer @ May 23 2003, 02:49 PM)
There is a place in Stockton Ca that Widens wheels, does alot of
wheels for the drag racers in the area.

Kelley's Custom Wheel Service
209.547.9246 ph
209.547.9245 fax

yeah, but they only do STEEL wheels. no alloy sad.gif

Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.