Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: compression testing questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
freezing14
Ok got the frigging engine out because of those back fire,, remove the heads, , clean everything , lots of oil everywhere, and i do the compression test, here is the result

i did the test with 5 revolution on each , they all got the same result ( thats good) here my question

1st revolution 90 psi,
2 nd revolution 120 psi
3 rd revolution 155 psi
4 and 5 th revolution 155

is this ok , or do i need to change the rings or i am ready to driving.gif
Bleyseng
R U doing the compression test with the engine warmed up?
Try squirting a little oil into the low cylinder and re test. If it stays down then you have a valve problem. ie -not seating or burning.

Geoff
scotty914
but before you do the test again do a valve adjust, and did you have the spark plugs out on all cylinders

and i though oil in the cylinders was for rings not valves
freezing14
a little interpretation issue here

cylinder 1 revolution 1 90 psi rev 2 120 rev 3 150 rev 4-5 150
cylinder 2 revolution 1 90 psi rev 2 120 rev 3 150 rev 4-5 150
cylinder 3 revolution 1 90 psi rev 2 120 rev 3 150 rev 4-5 150
cylinder 4 revolution 1 90 psi rev 2 120 rev 3 150 rev 4-5 150

it says in the book with the compression tester that you need to use the same number of revolution testing
Bleyseng
So 150 on all cylinders thats great. Hmm, you running carbs? or FI.
scotty914
thats wub.gif

put the motor in and driving.gif
freezing14
I will be running FI unless it buzz me off, then I wil carb it,
the 150 was acheived at the 3rd revolution so it would be ok , May be i can drive it before we have snow on the ground definitively,,,,, mueba.gif
Jake Raby
Also, did you test with the throttle at full open?? If not the numbers can vary due to not getting very much air into the chambers.....
freezing14
I did the test with no intake runner,,,, so would be considered as the throttle open??????, I just wanna made sure it was OK before I put it back togheter and in the car
Rhodes71/914
I think you should be happy with those results. Put it in and drive before the snow flies. Wish I was at that point, couple of weeks maybe.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.