Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tips for hooking up autometer gauges?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
chad newton
I am thinking of running oil temp, oil pressure, maybe volt meter, and a tach. Can the sensors be hooked up like any other vehicle or do I need special adapters? I don't like to run electric gauges but for the 914 I'm not sure if I am going to be forced to just because of the location of the engine. Help me out.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(chad newton @ Aug 23 2013, 09:24 PM) *

I am thinking of running oil temp, oil pressure, maybe volt meter, and a tach. Can the sensors be hooked up like any other vehicle or do I need special adapters? I don't like to run electric gauges but for the 914 I'm not sure if I am going to be forced to just because of the location of the engine. Help me out.

A metric voltage adapter is really hard to find so you may have to read the SAE voltage...
Mark Henry
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Aug 24 2013, 12:26 AM) *

QUOTE(chad newton @ Aug 23 2013, 09:24 PM) *

A metric voltage adapter is really hard to find so you may have to read the SAE voltage...

happy11.gif av-943.gif

In other words...mounting and the fact you lose certain indicators, like the high-beam light in the tach are the only real issues.
An Autometer monster tach fits perfectly in the stock tach hole.
I don't mind the plain Jane monster tach in my cluster but the rest of my gauges will remain VDO.

Really the most important things are your oil and alternator idiot lights (and tach). Forget the autometer crap (get the tach if you like) and make super bright idiot lights. VDO is good enough for the rest.
chad newton
Awesome, that makes since. Oil light and temp were probably most imprtaint. When I used to drag I just felt and heard rpm. I can't even recall when I ever looked at a tach. Maybe a shift light could help just so I am reminded of potential catastrophic engine failure.
Mark Henry
An idiot light tells you immediately if you lose oil pressure or break a fan belt.
nice to know if you have good temps, pressure, etc, but if something pops nothing is faster than a light.
(chad is doing a /6 IIRC)

Over reving the engine there is more of a worry of a mechanical over rev by blowing a shift and down-shifting from 5th to 2nd.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.