Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: A Most Unlikely German Survivor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Nozzle
Be sure to scroll down and watch the video too. Then scroll all the way down to read the incredible story of this amazing machine.

http://www.platinumfighters.com/#!bf-109e/c7r0

Unlike old racing cars today, obsolete tactical aircraft with lots of combat time hardly ever make the journey from the field into private hands for restoration back to flying status.
mepstein
If my dad ever found my cousins p-51, I'm sure he'd find a way to buy it biggrin.gif
ChrisFoley
My dad's (unfinished project) 1939 Ryan STA has bullet holes in the fuselage from the time when it was owned by a Bolivian General.
Elliot Cannon
Restored back to flying status is great. Actually flying them, not so much. There aren't much of them left and when they get crashed and burn they are gone forever. It's amazing how many of these were built and how few are left. At peak manufacture, a plant in Detroit rolled out a new B-24 every hour. Every hour!! Eventually 18,000 were built. Having said that, hearing a seeing a P-51 roar by low and fast is a thrill to be experienced.
tomeric914
Amazing and beautifully restored machine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzUUlO6ihwE
mepstein
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Aug 24 2013, 01:44 PM) *

Restored back to flying status is great. Actually flying them, not so much. There aren't much of them left and when they get crashed and burn they are gone forever. It's amazing how many of these were built and how few are left. At peak manufacture, a plant in Detroit rolled out a new B-24 every hour. Every hour!! Eventually 18,000 were built. Having said that, hearing a seeing a P-51 roar by low and fast is a thrill to be experienced.

Yes! Saw one at a local air show. The sound was amazing. My cousin Billy is alive and can still describe in detail when he engaged the enemy in tigers revenge.
r_towle
We were invited to an air show car show with the local 356 club at an old grass airstrip.

For a few hours some amazing old aircooled planes from pre and post war started landing, along with all the 356 cars, it was really cool.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.