Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: stupid question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ruddyboys
I see some engines on evil-bay for sale, some say they are a long block. What makes the engine a long block? sad.gif and what makes them a short block.
Root_Werks
Long block = Block with heads. P/C's etc.
Short Block = Block P'C's but no heads.
scooter311
Let me start off by saying that "I'm probably wrong"
but I thought a long block was when it was complete, from carb to oil pan (like an SBC)
and a short block was when it was relatively incomplete, like missing the intake, heads, or etc etc.

If I'm right then
clap56.gif
if not then
slap.gif
to me
Root_Werks
QUOTE(scooter311 @ Dec 10 2004, 10:21 AM)
Let me start off by saying that "I'm probably wrong"
but I thought a long block was when it was complete, from carb to oil pan (like an SBC)
and a short block was when it was relatively incomplete, like missing the intake, heads, or etc etc.

If I'm right then
clap56.gif
if not then
slap.gif
to me

slap.gif slap.gif slap.gif slap.gif mueba.gif

That was fun, can I do it again? happy11.gif
lapuwali
The usual terminology is thus:

Short block usually means cases and everything inside the cases (crank, cam, lifters). This may or may not include barrels.

Long block means a short block with barrels and heads. For the Type IV, this might include the fan housing and fan, but often won't. No intake system, usually. Rarely any tin. Take a dead engine and a long block and you have a complete, running engine.

A "complete" or "dressed" engine is usually more or less as it's pulled from the car. Includes intake, alternator, tin, sometimes exhaust.

The exact definitions vary from person to person and engine type to engine type. For most water-cooled engines, for example, the short block will often be the block, crank, rods, pistons. No head, water pump, alternator, etc. A long block would be a short block with a head, and often a water pump.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.