Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Switch on master cylinder
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wndsnd
I installed a new master cylinder today and it came with a brake light switch. The wiring has two wires. The brown/white and a brown ground. Where do I ground? There should be another male spade somewhere confused24.gif
toolguy
use only the brn/white. . . the ground now comes from the master cylinder being bolted to the chassis, which is common ground. .
Original pressure switch used the brown as the ground. . the brn/white goes to the dash light. .
wndsnd
QUOTE(toolguy @ Aug 24 2013, 08:49 PM) *

use only the brn/white. . . the ground now comes from the master cylinder being bolted to the chassis, which is common ground. .
Original pressure switch used the brown as the ground. . the brn/white goes to the dash light. .

Thank you, this is why I love this forum.... You guys are the best!
914Sixer
I have a NOS two pole brake light switch if you want to use both wires. $20 shipped.
JeffBowlsby
agree.gif Thats the right solution. Get the correct part for your car. The MC switch was 2 poles through early 1974, then 1 pole late 74-76.
SLITS
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Aug 25 2013, 07:28 AM) *

agree.gif Thats the right solution. Get the correct part for your car. The MC switch was 1 pole through early 1974, then 1 pole late 74-76.

Huh? confused24.gif
JeffBowlsby
There, I fixed it for me... wink.gif
wndsnd
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Aug 25 2013, 08:35 AM) *

I have a NOS two pole brake light switch if you want to use both wires. $20 shipped.

I will take it
PM jbnb@comcast.net

Thanks
John
wndsnd
I got and installed the two wire brake light switch on the new master cylinder.
Thank you 914Sixer..

When the ignition switch is turned on, my break lights are on. If I disconnect the wires at the switch, they stay on. It they short together, the red light in the multi guage flashes. I am not questioning the switch, it did this with the single spade switch as well.

Any guesses what's up?
914itis
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Sep 2 2013, 08:24 AM) *

Thank you 914Sixer..

When the ignition switch is turned on, my break lights are on. If I disconnect the wires at the switch, they stay on. It they short together, the red light in the multi guage flashes. I am not questioning the switch, it did this with the single spade switch as well.

Any guesses what's up?

I think the wires you are using is the brake pressure switch wire . Others will clarify shortly, I am sure.

The switch is fine bit you will have to locate the right wire. Do you have any wires connected to the brake light switch under the brake pedal?
wndsnd
QUOTE(914itis @ Sep 2 2013, 10:25 AM) *

QUOTE(wndsnd @ Sep 2 2013, 08:24 AM) *

Thank you 914Sixer..

Any guesses what's up?

I think the wires you are using is the brake pressure switch wire . Others will clarify shortly, I am sure.

The switch is fine bit you will have to locate the right wire. Do you have any wires connected to the brake light switch under the brake pedal?

Did not check under pedal today. I know that switch is wired. I have to check the connections.

John
zambezi
The switch on the master is for the dash warning light. The switch under the pedal board activates the brake lights in the tail lights.
914itis
I agree , but there is a switch that can be used for the brake light in the master. It has two plugs for wires.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.