Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - Just brought home my new toy - is this a new option for Subie conversions?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stugray
Suby BRZ

Woooo Hooooo smoke.gif

IPB Image

driving.gif

Now if I ever get rear-ended, I will have a new engine for the teener piratenanner.gif

Stu
Drums66
....I dig the color,adult toys are the "bomb"....enjoy.
(no negative vibes)
bye1.gif wine.gif
JmuRiz
Nice, if those are as fun as the magazines say, you should have a good time with it.
rnellums
looks like fun!
Andyrew
Congrats!

We would have gotten one for my wife if they had more power and had enough room for 4.

Plan on doing track days or autox with it or is it a fun commuter?
stugray
We would have gotten one for my wife if they had more power and had enough room for 4.

They have room for 4... if two of your passengers are legless....

Plan on doing track days or autox with it or is it a fun commuter?

I will be racing vintage with the 914 next year, so I might get a few opportunities for track days or lunch rides.

Stu
stugray
Not the most boring driveway in the neighborhood....

IPB Image

Stu
billh1963
Very nice.....

a/c, pw, pdl, etc....

You are going to get spoiled!
flipb
Sweet. And that last photo is a great angle.

I think it was Jalopnik that pointed out the parallels with the 914. Something like:

Stop me if you're heard this one. Two automakers from the same country collaborate on an entry-level sports car. It's all about handling, so they use a modest boxer-4 engine and not a lot of luxury frills, just a true driver's car.

...and the rest, as they say, is history...
stugray
You are going to get spoiled!

Spoiled? I went in to buy a Legacy 3.6R (needed something practical I could drive to work even in the snow) and came home with that instead ;-)
I reminded myself that when winter comes, there's always the suburban....

And that last photo is a great angle

My son took it and when he showed it to me, I said "What? Were you hovering?"
He was standing on the tire rack of the car hauler that is a fixture in front of my house.

Stu
GaroldShaffer
Nice car! Checked one out a few weeks back. Nice ride, great fun factor and the entry level pricing isn't bad either. Enjoy!
Andyrew
QUOTE(stugray @ Aug 25 2013, 02:38 PM) *

Not the most boring driveway in the neighborhood....

IPB Image

Stu

Thats a great looking car! Did you get a manual?

I drove an automatic (Only one they had when I looked around a year ago) and it felt extremely underpowered and like I was driving a Prius or civic (non si)

Does it feel underpowered to you? Or does it feel right? I havent driven the manual and really want to.
JamesM
QUOTE(stugray @ Aug 24 2013, 04:14 PM) *

Suby BRZ

Woooo Hooooo smoke.gif

IPB Image

driving.gif

Now if I ever get rear-ended, I will have a new engine for the teener piratenanner.gif

Stu

First production car I have been interested in in a long time (the Factory Five 818 doesn't count) Guy I work with is ordering one to his specs and I have been eyeing them myself.

A car guys car for sure.

stugray
Did you get a manual?

Yes 6 speed.

Does it feel underpowered to you?

It is underpowered for it's looks. However when you realize that is a non-turbo 2.0L it has a surprizing amount of power.
It still does 0-60 in about 7 seconds at 1 mile altitude.
So it is an upgrade from my 3.0L six toyota.
And it is definitely faster then the legacy 3.6L (6-cyl) that I test drove while I ws at the dealer.

Guy I work with is ordering one to his specs

From what I understand, the only drivetrain option with this car is auto or manual.

I'd like to know what he means by that. (I think he's FOS;-)
The trim package is premium or limited. There are no other options.

Now there are plenty of aftermarket add-ons including big turbos and supercharger.

Stu
stugray
If anyone would like to try a conversion to brand new boxer engine technology, here is a BRZ boxer D-4S for sale for $3k.

http://www.subarubrzforum.com/20-subaru-br...gine-trans.html

Essentially brand new.

Seems like something that Jake would be interested in playing with.

Stu
stugray
Found some excellent pictures of the boxer engine in the BRZ:

IPB Image

I wonder if that would fit in our engine bay, and it is just beautiful.

IPB Image

More pics here:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3981
bandjoey
There are already turbo and blower turn key kits for this motor. Scion FR-S and BRZ are mechanically the same. Trim and interior differences set them apart. In the DFW area this is already a serious auto cross and SCCA car. Per the original agreement Toyota gets 2/3 of the cars due to a higher sales volumn. Don't know yet how this is panning out. With Scion being 10 years old this year there is a Silver Edition Model 10 FR-S with only about 2500 built. I'm waiting on the wrecking yard to get a motor. New is $15k. Go take a test drive for a lot of fun. Nice car!
cwpeden
Had an autocross yesterday. Subaru BRZ was turning the same times as my 73 2.0 with autocross susp. and zero mile RT615K's.

By the 8th run my tires were getting faster by the second, as in 53-52- 51 second runs. Would have been nice to see how fast they would get.
stugray
bandjoey,

I'm waiting on the wrecking yard to get a motor.

See the link a few posts up. Someone is upgrading the motor and selling the low mileage motor and all ECU bits for $3k.

http://www.subarubrzforum.com/20-subaru-br...gine-trans.html

Add a radiator, mounting bar (very much like our bar) and a tranny adapter and you are in business.

I wonder if it is too wide (like the boxster engine) with the OHCs to fit without modifying the suspension points.
I guess I could measure while I have the cars sitting next to each other...

Stu
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.