Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bumper swap
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RonnieJ
I have 1 75 914 and am contemplating the switch from the 75 bumpers to the earlier chrome. Is this a difficult change and can I keep the currrent supports attached to take it back to original in the future if I want. Thanks
Jeffs9146
You have to trim some of the front metal and side pieces so going back to stock has a few challenges!

I did mine just take your time cutting the front off!

BUB Back Date
Type 47
I'm back dating my 75' to early (70-72) chrome bumpers. You loose all of the 75' bumpers, including the shocks. You want this b/c you loose about 100 lbs.

trimming off the tabs on the fenders is not difficult but take your time with a cutting wheel.

I was lucky b/c I had a rear chrome bumper. the front was not so easy to find...got a good core with some dents. chrome shop will fix...total invested will be about $1k for a used re-chromed front.
bigkensteele
I am halfway through the process and plan on writing detailed instructions with pictures, measurements, tips, tricks, etc. It is not rocket science, but it is much easier if you know exactly what you are getting into.

So, if you can hold out for another week or two, I will have everything together to post. I am hoping to get it into the classic threads so that using search and reading through 50 threads will no longer be required.
jim_hoyland
There is a thread on how to backdate to the chrome bumpers. A new one will be nice. I started out to do the conversion; bought and rechromed a couple of bumpers, picked up a pair of great looking bumpers tops, made up a set of bolts and dog bones. Then my wife said she likes the lines of the rubber bumpers...geeeze ! sad.gif
MoveQik
FWIW, the tabs on the side do not need to be "cut" off. I just used a large drill bit and put it right on the spot welds. If you are careful you can go deep enough to break them loose without drilling all the way through. The lip that goes across the front, below the front decklid did require a steady hand and an angle grinder. Measuring where to drill the holes to line up the old style bumpers was the hardest part IMHO.
jim_hoyland
Someone said that the front lip doesn't require cutting IF the fiberglass bumper top is used. Perhaps someone can chime in on this. smile.gif
Steve
I am running GT fiberglass bumpers on my 75. I didn't remove anything yet. The sides are a tight fit and the sides don't look right with the tabs sticking out, but its not that noticeable. I am also torn between putting it back to stock or leave the GT look.
bigkensteele
I have the rear done, and my tabs would have shown if I did not completely cut them off and ground the spot welds (or welded up holes) completely smooth. On the front, it looks like you might be able to get away with leaving the surfaces that are spot welded and just cutting off the raised part on the side and the horizontal pieces on the front. I will try to cover this when I write up my post. I want to wait until I have all the pictures and have overcome all the obstacles before I write it up.
Sleepin
I ground the front lip to a razor blade like edge. That way if someone tries to get at my beer cooler, they lose a finger or two.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.