Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - Opinions wanted
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rnellums
I have an opportunity to buy a low-mile p-1800 ES wagon from a friend at a good price, and I wanted to know what this community's views on the car was. I spent most of the day today going over it and washing it with him. The odo currently reads 33k or so.
messix
cool cars! aktion035.gif
r_towle
We have two here.
Cool car, low price for even a mint one.
Motor will last forever, rear end will whine, no fix
Tranny may whine,

Loud, handles like shit,

Lower it, get wider tires.

Rich
rnellums
I guess the follow up is what would be a fair price for it? Neither he or I have a good feel for what the car is worth, I would prefer to do 5k or less.

-Ross
914_teener
Think those run D-jet as well.

No idea what it is worth though.
billh1963
Very cool...I love the look! No idea on price, though.
KELTY360
QUOTE(messix @ Aug 25 2013, 01:40 PM) *

cool cars! aktion035.gif

agree.gif

In 1973 I was choosing between a 914 one of those. I'm sure I made the right choice of a 914 but I've liked the Volvo ever since. There is a guy who lives near me that is the original owner of one with over 300,000 miles. Can't kill them, can't make them go fast thru the twisties.
cary
Way Cool .........................
I don't know why the new copycat little one didn't make it.
Drums66
.....Cool rides!(I prefer coupe)...special parts idea.gif
bye1.gif
r_towle
5k is probably about right.

Drain the fuel, flush the tank. Oil, tranny fluid etc.
Do not try to start it with bad fuel.

Pump is under the tank in the rear, simple to clean up and deal with the tank.

Www.ipdusa.com
Www.vclassics.com

Rich
rnellums
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 25 2013, 06:36 PM) *

5k is probably about right.

Drain the fuel, flush the tank. Oil, tranny fluid etc.
Do not try to start it with bad fuel.

Pump is under the tank in the rear, simple to clean up and deal with the tank.

Www.ipdusa.com
Www.vclassics.com

Rich

I'm afraid he already started it up, but it started up easy enough, blew a bit of white smoke on startup, but nothing outrageous. It seems to leak a bit of oil too, and the interior could use some love. there is a rust bubble (pencil eraser) near the rear fenderwells, and evidence of an exterior re-paint to the original color.
oldschool
Click to view attachment my car...sold it to put money in my bank...
914bub
I worked on Volvo's for 20 years and worked on a lot of 1800 coupes and ES's. They are fun little cars. They CAN be made to go through the twisties but of course not like a 914. Volvo made 40,000 1800's from 1962-73. Technically the only "P"1800's are the 62-64 cars built by Jensen but even Volvo labels them incorrectly now days on calendars, in commercials etc. Those are cool wheels and were only available for 2 years. I have 12 of those wheels sitting around,...but I'm a hoarder! While they were never available here in the states you can also find ATS wheels that look like the 914 wheels except, of course, for being 5 lug. ES's also look very cool with later 240 Turbo wheels on them. You can also install 740 or 940 turbo wheels on them. The possibilities are almost endless.

1800ES's were only made in 1972 & 1973 but I heard the actual production run was from July of 72 through August of 73. Volvo only made 7,000 1800ES's. It's kind of amazing how many are still around. I've worked on 30-40 different ones and have seen countless more.

Slap on some Bilsteins, IPD lowering springs,IPD sway bars and a limited slip and I think you'd be somewhat impressed. Sounds like that one is low mileage so it shouldn't have many issues. One problem they have is tearing the front suspension crossmember where the lower control arm bolts go through it. The upper shock mounts crack also,(where the shocks go through the crossmember), especially with "spirited" driving. Very cool that they have four wheel discs.

I used to have a ton of NOS sheet metal for them but I sold all of it when I started selling my Volvo stash. I still sell Volvo parts and have since 1999. If you need anything give a holler, if I don't have it, I'll know where to get it. Check out Scandcar, they have a LOT now for vintage Volvo's and it's great quality, (unlike scan tech parts).

ES's do have D jet and if you ever need wiring diagrams or repair info I've got all that. I also have parts fiche and a micro fiche reader if you ever need part numbers .
I wouldn't worry about firing it without having flushed the fuel system, we used to fire them up all the time after years of sitting. The overdrive is the same as those used in 240's so if you have OD issues don't worry. By drilling the mounting holes larger in 240 rear brake calipers you can install those if you ever need them. There are other parts that will swap in on those. The timing gear is fiber and they get sloppy and sound almost like a rod knock but with your low mileage you should be years from needing that sort of stuff. Upgrade the front and rear crank seals when you get a chance,they are felt and leak especially after having sat for a while.
DBCooper
I've always loved that car. If you don't buy it I'd be happy to step in, or trade for a 2006 S80?

Or if anyone else has a non-rusty non-runner in the garage, let me know.

Andyrew
Thats an awesome looking rear hatch!

r_towle
They made around 2500 ES wagons...
Not 7000

The interiors are the biggest issue, Lang with rust.

The rockers are sealed, so if its bubbling, it's rusting from the inside out.
Common issue and you know the right way to deal with it...cut it open, remove and replace that area.

Go for it.
People love seeing those cars on the road.

carr914
QUOTE(rnellums @ Aug 25 2013, 05:37 PM) *

I guess the follow up is what would be a fair price for it? Neither he or I have a good feel for what the car is worth, I would prefer to do 5k or less.

-Ross

One of my All-Time Cars. That car looks pretty good, I've seen pristeen examples go for over $20k, I would say with a few items taken care of, it would be worth $7-9k

I grew up with Volvo's, 144, 240, Bertone & here is the only 1800 I've owned was the 12 Hours of Sebring car that the Owner would never send me the Title ( if you are still a Member here finger.gif )

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
914bub
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 25 2013, 06:10 PM) *

Not 7000

They made 8077 1800ES's, Look it up. Guess we were both wrong. beerchug.gif
JamesM
Do it!

When I was putting together my first Megasquirt conversion I got a lot of info from a blog of someone converting a D-jet Volvo, sort of liked the look of the car and since then have kept my eye out for one.

Also there is this the fact that they may be the most durable car in the world

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20130716/CARNEWS01/130719868

914bub
QUOTE(914bub @ Aug 26 2013, 09:02 AM) *

Not 7000

They made 8077 1800ES's. Guess we were both off by a little.LOL beerchug.gif

914bub

'914bub' post='1915267' date='Aug 26 2013, 09:02 AM'

Not 7000

914bub

Not 7000

Cap'n Krusty
Rust. Other than that, they're nice cars. The IPD stuff makes 'em nicer. There are a couple of guys selling parts (I was unaware we have one right here!). MPSs are hard to find, but I suppose the repair parts sold on this forum would solve that problem. Wiring for the EFI deteriorates, just like ours, but we have Jeff Bowlsby. Rust.

See, I DO have good things to say about some prospective purchases ........... Some.

The Cap'n
914bub
Opps,double post sad.gif
rnellums
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 26 2013, 12:28 PM) *

Rust. Other than that, they're nice cars. The IPD stuff makes 'em nicer. There are a couple of guys selling parts (I was unaware we have one right here!). MPSs are hard to find, but I suppose the repair parts sold on this forum would solve that problem. Wiring for the EFI deteriorates, just like ours, but we have Jeff Bowlsby. Rust.

See, I DO have good things to say about some prospective purchases ........... Some.

The Cap'n

I suppose having the Cap'ns approval means I now have no choice about buying it...
r_towle
Mps is a single diaphragm unit, so it does not break like a 914 does.
Wiring...yup
Tps, yup

Great brake calipers, dual brake circuit setup, really advanced for its time.

Rich
Dr Evil
I always wanted the P1800ES. Do it!
r_towle
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 26 2013, 09:47 PM) *

You ARE looking for a cool small car with heat and AC....this might be the ticket.
Look around, there are good deals out there on these cars.

Baby seat, yes.
Human with legs, not really.
Rear trunk area holds lots of parts though.

Rich
Dr Evil
Ya, the cheapest one I could find just looking now was about $6K and it is worse than the one posted above.

This one is nice, maybe I will just try to get it for cheap rolleyes.gif
Eric_Shea
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 26 2013, 07:47 PM) *

Oh boy... there's a glowing review. It made Doc's list! Right up there with the Pontiac Aztek and AMC Pacer! biggrin.gif

Actually, it's probably the nicest looking car on the Evil wish list. I'd go with Rich's suggestion and lower it with some nice wheels.
Drums66
.....Stock profile!,,,,much more together in these cars,,,,and ya
give her some "RUBBER" idea.gif (looks like the shocks are bad?)
bye1.gif flag.gif
r_towle
careful putting to much rubber up front.
the steering is all you...pure manual setup with an old school steering box.
Its not simple to park...and it will keep your upper body in shape.

There is an aftermarket electronic retro fit of a prius power steering system that a guy in Europe is making.
Does not look to hard to make...you buy the motor etc, make a bracket, and custom make the last section of the steering shaft.

Great reviews, but he wants 2500 bucks for the setup..

There is no stock power steering setup that will bolt in.
My Father Inlaw owns the mint one...I have the spare parts car...which once we are done, I will have both anyways...

We have been looking at how to fix the power steering issue for him as he gets older...its not getting easier for him.

Remember though, it handles like a classic Volvo...
IPD and VClassics (who race them) have tweeked the suspension so they handle pretty good, but the wagon has a bit more weight up high in the back...

If I was to change one thing (and I will one day) it would be the suspension...it just sucks.

The brakes...well, like I said they are way ahead of their time and those Girling calipers are awesome....the dual circuit setup is also very cool.

rich
r_towle
for me, staying in the family....

I will put a turbo v8 motor from the Volvo SUV in there...
With the full driveline from the RWD model.

Then it will have enough power to get out of its own way.
DBCooper
Oh no Rich, the horror!!! You'll ruin the VALUE!!!

(ha ha ha ha)

r_towle
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Aug 27 2013, 01:56 PM) *

Oh no Rich, the horror!!! You'll ruin the VALUE!!!

(ha ha ha ha)

Wont touch the mint one.
I already rebuilt all of it.
I have a love hate relationship with that car...I would never do it.

I will however do the other car...for sure.

My inlaws are Swedish and I just hooked up with some family in Sweden that are true hotrod car guys...and they just hotrod Volvos and Saabs....

They will be all over this project with me...
Tons of knowledge about building up old Swedish iron over there...

Rich
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 26 2013, 05:00 PM) *

Wiring...yup
Tps, yup

Rich

They fail. BTDT.

The Cap'n
r_towle
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 27 2013, 02:36 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 26 2013, 05:00 PM) *

Wiring...yup
Tps, yup

Rich

They fail. BTDT.

The Cap'n

If you are talking about the MPS, I agree.
But its not the same way...so the kit that foley sells will add no value.
The 914 (from what I have found) is the only MPS that has the extra base plate diaphragm inside.

Rich
DBCooper
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 27 2013, 11:06 AM) *

Wont touch the mint one.

My inlaws are Swedish and I just hooked up with some family in Sweden that are true hotrod car guys...and they just hotrod Volvos and Saabs....

Rich

Yeah, there are some seriously NASTY Swedish cars up in the cold country. It's like they have all winter to dream up crazier and crazier stuff. I think I owned every model Saab, starting with the 96, but now we're all Volvos, new and stock, or old, turboed and slammed. When your family shows up let me know, I'll send videos of a friend's daily driver turbo LSx engined 242 on ethanol. We aren't far behind those guys in hotrodding their own cars.

r_towle
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Aug 27 2013, 03:33 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 27 2013, 11:06 AM) *

Wont touch the mint one.

Rich

Yeah, there are some seriously NASTY Swedish cars up in the cold country. It's like they have all winter to dream up crazier and crazier stuff. I think I owned every model Saab, starting with the 96, but now we're all Volvos, new and stock, or old, turboed and slammed. When your family shows up let me know, I'll send videos of a friend's daily driver turbo LSx engined 242 on ethanol. We aren't far behind those guys in hotrodding their own cars.

I have had to deal with all the Volvos for the past 30 years, since we met.
I finally got her out of it and got a prius.

rich
rnellums
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 27 2013, 01:45 PM) *

Like this one? Caresto's p1800gt
r_towle
QUOTE(rnellums @ Aug 28 2013, 12:06 AM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 27 2013, 01:45 PM) *

Like this one? Caresto's p1800gt

I love everything but the wheels.

Nice car, any details?

rich
r_towle
Just looked it up, very cool car, cool build.

Not a fan of the german colors on a Swedish car, but it seems they got shafted when the FIA did the color schemes....yellow with blue stripes is just to hard to make look cool.

Always loved the silver and red thing, but its so german to my eye.

rich
rnellums
XC90 V8, 960 transmission, BMW rear axle. there is a build page here:

http://www.p1800gt.se/

but it doesn't have much actual information about the car, and the images are all too small to be much good for viewing pleasure.

Lots of good photos here if you don't mind the swedish.

http://www.gatbilar.se/forum/viewtopic.php?id=10116&p=1

basic info here
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.ph...resto-in-Sweden
Drums66
....I dig the red interior(maybe no black on wheel's might be an improvement??
to coordination? idea.gif
bye1.gif ,like said,Cool build!
krazykonrad
I had a 1972 E (coupe) before I got my 914. It was a great car, if a little under-powered. Just like a Volvo should, it kept me safe when some lady hit me from behind doing about 40 mph while i was stopped.

Konrad
rnellums
The current owner sent me another photo today.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.