Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear spring shock install question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Type 47
Installing new Bilstein shocks with 140 lb springs. took off stock springs with Koni's with a spring compressor. I didn't really need the spring compressors for the Bilstein's and now they slip off the bottom cradle. The Bilstein cradle is flat where the Koni's is more formed, like the top piece from the car.

What am I doing wrong here (note I installed them backwards to see it there was a difference). which reminds me...which end is up the small coils or the larger?

IPB Image
IPB Image
jimkelly
that silver plate is upside down - I think
messix
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Aug 25 2013, 04:19 PM) *

that silver plate is upside down - I think

Yup lower spring plate is upside down. And the spring will wobble around till you get some pressure on them. Normal
76-914
Here is your exact setup. agree.gif Once it's down and your not going neg G not a problem. Otherwise zip tie it on the top. You'll need to select a ride height on those. If you've got a 6 try the 4th perch. beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment
Type 47
Thanks guys headbang.gif

I will filp the plate over...

I have a 4, so no need to go to the other perch, however for the record I don't see how to move to the other perches...the plate just slides over them.
messix
there should be a spilt ring [a wire that almost goes all the way around the shock body] that sits in the indents and holds the spring plate in place.
wndsnd
Click to view attachment

Your telling me these are upside down?

Sorry for hijack....

Dammmmmmmmmm hissyfit.gif hissyfit.gif
messix
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Aug 25 2013, 07:44 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Sorry for hijack....

slap.gif YES!!!!!
zambezi
Another reason the silver perch should be the other way around, is that it captures the snap ring that is used for setting the ride height not allowing it to pop loose and the suspension would then collapse.
r_towle

Upside down guys.

The clip won't car, but the spring will never stay centered with them upside down.
Type 47
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Aug 25 2013, 06:44 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Sorry for hijack....

no hijack at all very much a part of the conversation!
wndsnd
QUOTE(messix @ Aug 25 2013, 10:47 PM) *

QUOTE(wndsnd @ Aug 25 2013, 07:44 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Sorry for hijack....

slap.gif YES!!!!!

Well good thing I looked at this thread. Wonder what else I installed upside down idea.gif They need cleaning anyway.... wacko.gif
wndsnd
Click to view attachment

OK I flipped the plates.

Where would you recommend I start with the clip ring.

It is now on the bottom. (I assume that would be the softest and highest ride height).

100 lb springs, no sway bar ......

zambezi
The lower the clip the lower the ride height. I should not affect the firmness of the ride, the spring rate does that.
wndsnd
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 25 2013, 10:56 PM) *

Upside down guys.

The clip won't car, but the spring will never stay centered with them upside down.

Rich,

What do you think about setting ride height. Where would you start with the clips?

Thanks
John
76-914
It varies. This just establishes your ride height. Start at any position (maybe the 2nd) then lower the car move it a few feet, check your tire/fender clearance and general over height and adjust accordingly. beerchug.gif
wndsnd
QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 26 2013, 12:58 PM) *

It varies. This just establishes your ride height. Start at any position (maybe the 2nd) then lower the car move it a few feet, check your tire/fender clearance and general over height and adjust accordingly. beerchug.gif

There is no drive train in the car yet so final adjustments can't be made. I was looking for a startiing point. I think I will just leave the rings where they are for now, and adjust once I get an engine in the car. beerchug.gif
wndsnd
icon_bump.gif

Rich T,

Racer Chris,

Anyone?

Where would you start with the ring on the spring level. Bottom? Mid?

Thanks
John
ChrisFoley
Start at the 4th groove from the bottom John.
You might switch to the 3rd groove but I don't think any lower is a good idea on a street car.
wndsnd
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Aug 27 2013, 09:18 AM) *

Start at the 4th groove from the bottom John.
You might switch to the 3rd groove but I don't think any lower is a good idea on a street car.

Yo the man aktion035.gif
r_towle
bottom smile.gif
I like it low.

Honestly, 2-4th from the bottom...
really depends on what you like.

the lower you go, the cooler it will look, just saying.

rich
wndsnd
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 27 2013, 03:10 PM) *

bottom smile.gif
I like it low.

Honestly, 2-4th from the bottom...
really depends on what you like.

the lower you go, the cooler it will look, just saying.

rich

Thanks rich,
I moved up to the 4th groove because I am concerned with tire clearance .The tires/rims I bought off the net and did not come with the car. The fenders are not rolled but the hell hole side had much work.

I will adjust once I get a powertrain in the car.
wndsnd
Finished.

Thanks everyone.

Really sorry Type 47 that I high-jacked this thread, but thanks for bringing this to my attention! I hope you have yours sorted out. bye1.gif

Type 47
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Aug 27 2013, 01:18 PM) *

Finished.

Thanks everyone.

Really sorry Type 47 that I high-jacked this thread, but thanks for bringing this to my attention! I hope you have yours sorted out. bye1.gif

Not an issue, again I don't think you hijacked as much as continued the conversation. I too have to set my ride height and the car is totally apart.
Type 47
so from the pictures the large coils are bottom and the small coils are top? Right?
r_towle
I don't think he has progressive springs, so I would OT use his picture as a reference.

Add to that, the shorter coils go on the bottom.
martinef1963
QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 26 2013, 05:11 AM) *

Here is your exact setup. agree.gif Once it's down and your not going neg G not a problem. Otherwise zip tie it on the top. You'll need to select a ride height on those. If you've got a 6 try the 4th perch. beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment

Why would you zip tie on the top? I've read on the forum of this procedure, but really have not read "why?"

I too have the same set up as this post. Knowledge is power, or like someone once told me knowledge is "potential" power.

thanks,

Fern
wndsnd
QUOTE(Type 47 @ Aug 27 2013, 08:14 PM) *

so from the pictures the large coils are bottom and the small coils are top? Right?

Oh God, here we go again. My springs are lettered by Westmeister. I did lettering rightside up. However mine are only 100 lbs and seem to be uniform.

Click to view attachment

John
Type 47
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 27 2013, 04:18 PM) *

I don't think he has progressive springs, so I would OT use his picture as a reference.

OK, I'm confused...which spring placement is correct? Yes the perch is upside down...it's my previous pic before I fixed that
IPB Image
messix
it doesn't really matter.

and no need to tie off the springs to anything unless you plan on jumping the thing like a Baja truck. just remember when you let the car down after being jacked up to ensure the springs are seated.
r_towle
You are fine, they are not progressive.

If you are around this weekend, I will see if I can swing by for a look see at your progress.

For the zip tie question...
I have 180 lb springs which are shorter than stock.
So, when I jack up the car, I can want to make sure the springs stay lined up correctly with the spring perches, and you cant see the top easily.

So, most of us zip tie the top of the spring to the upper spring perch.
When you jack up the car, it keeps the spring in place with the upper perch.

When you set the car down, you can see, and easily feel the lower perch to make sure the spring is oriented correctly with the perch.

Rich
messix
QUOTE(Type 47 @ Aug 27 2013, 05:43 PM) *

OK, I'm confused...which spring placement is correct? Yes the perch is upside down...it's my previous pic before I fixed that
IPB Image

these are progressive springs....
messix
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Aug 27 2013, 05:40 PM) *

QUOTE(Type 47 @ Aug 27 2013, 08:14 PM) *

Oh God, here we go again. My springs are lettered by Westmeister. I did lettering rightside up. However mine are only 100 lbs and seem to be uniform.

Click to view attachment

John

these do not appear to be progressive springs....
martinef1963
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 28 2013, 06:34 AM) *

If you are around this weekend, I will see if I can swing by for a look see at your progress.

So, when I jack up the car, I can want to make sure the springs stay lined up correctly with the spring perches, and you cant see the top easily.

When you set the car down, you can see, and easily feel the lower perch to make sure the spring is oriented correctly with the perch.

Rich

Thank you Rich!
wndsnd
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 27 2013, 09:04 PM) *

You are welcome anytime Rich. I appreciate your comments and help.

Rich

r_towle
QUOTE(messix @ Aug 27 2013, 09:16 PM) *

QUOTE(Type 47 @ Aug 27 2013, 05:43 PM) *

IPB Image

these are progressive springs....

These are progressive springs.
Is easy to tell, the shorter softer coils are wound tighter than the middle mid range coils or the upper stiffer coils.

The tighter wound coils should go at the bottom, but I cannot find a definitive recommendation from any one source.

Give what they do, the soft coils at the bottom will make the little bumps less annoying.
When you get into it, the upper lower coils are all compressed and the upper and midrange coils ae doing the hard work.

Rich
r_towle
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Aug 27 2013, 05:18 PM) *

Finished.

Thanks everyone.

Wndsnd, you DO NOT have progressive coils.

You also won't need to zip tie your coils to the top if you needed a spring compressor to install them.

Is only required if the springs are loose when the upper nut it tight.

Rich
brant
too low gives you terrible suspension travel
too low often blows out your shock annually
the rear ride height is (for me) based on the front ride height
you need a downward rake to the car when all is finished
and enough range of suspension travel to absorb some bumps and not bottom out your shocks.
too low makes the car perform less well in the corners and gives a terrible ride over minor bumps or street applications.
wndsnd
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 27 2013, 11:07 PM) *

Finished.

Thanks everyone.

You also won't need to zip tie your coils to the top if you needed a spring compressor to install them.

Rich

Absolutely correct. I did use compressors, and I did not have to use tie wraps. Since they are not progressive I would guess there is no top or bottom to the spring, but I did allign them by the manufacturer's lettering.

John
r_towle
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Aug 28 2013, 08:19 AM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 27 2013, 11:07 PM) *

Finished.

Thanks everyone.

Rich

Absolutely correct. I did use compressors, and I did not have to use tie wraps. Since they are not progressive I would guess there is no top or bottom to the spring, but I did allign them by the manufacturer's lettering.

John

Its all good now....

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.