Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rear axle availability??
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
heck914
2 yrs ago i had NO problem getting a replacement rear axle for my 914. $69.99 (plus core charge)at Carquest for a rebuilt.

Now, NO ONE seems to have one. i have to take mine out and have it sent to be rebuilt.

any one else run into this????
any place that still has them at a resonable price?
Root_Werks
My supplier says they are on backorder. $65.00 with $40.00 core is what I can do, but not much good when they are not getting them.

What about the VW Bus CV's, man it has been a while, don't those work? Tougher? idea.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Dec 10 2004, 02:16 PM)
My supplier says they are on backorder. $65.00 with $40.00 core is what I can do, but not much good when they are not getting them.

What about the VW Bus CV's, man it has been a while, don't those work? Tougher? idea.gif

T2 cv joints are a different diameter, leading to attachment difficulties .................... I don't think I'd even THINK about a $69 "rebuilt" axle. If they're paying somebody to do it, 69 bucks oughtta just about cover the boots, the labor, and a can of spray paint ..................... The Cap'n
Dr Evil
There is a guy on this forum that redoes them for like $125 + exchange. He may be in the resources section, but I saw him first on ebay. If I can find his add I'll post it.
rickyhgarcia
Check these out....but they are $$$$$$

My Webpage

Their application is for high HP/torque conversions...
muddboy
As far as the CV joints, from what I remember Type 1 VW are the same! (aw comeone stop lauphing) with the exception of 2 things....

The bigest... is that the 914 has 2 roll pins

The other is that there is a machined ledge for a gasket in the 914

The guy next to my old shop told me about this... I never checked it out other than eyeball'n 'em on the benchtop. But if it does, I could rig up a jig to mill in for the roll pins. And I belive its just as simple as turning it in the lathe for the gasket relief. I'll put out one of my "spares" and check sizes.
heck914
i'm runing a supercharged V6 and havent had too much of a problem with "stock" axles. i broke an original axle the 2nd dragstrip run i ever made, but i figured it had something to with the axle being 30 yrs old. 20,000 miles later the other one is making a noise. i think it depends on how much you abuse them. no crazy powershifting here.
Mueller
QUOTE(heck914 @ Dec 10 2004, 08:23 PM)
i'm runing a supercharged V6 and havent had too much of a problem with "stock" axles. i broke an original axle the 2nd dragstrip run i ever made, but i figured it had something to with the axle being 30 yrs old. 20,000 miles later the other one is making a noise. i think it depends on how much you abuse them. no crazy powershifting here.

sorry..no more help for you until you show us pictures and give us some details on your car smile.gif

early 911 axles with larger CV's can be used with the correct spacers...
914werke
What breaks sad.gif the axle shaft blink.gif rarly, the CV most likley
jPs
I got rebuilt cvjoint/shafts from Brian aka 736conver ( pasted his profile below). Had the replacements for a few months and no problems. Price was very good $125 and everything was as advertised. Make sure you order some new cv gaskets or you'll end up spending a lot of time making them as I ended up doing...forgot to get new ones and wanted to get the teener off the stands.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...CODE=03&MID=736
Dr Evil
736conver, thats the guy that I was reffereing to. Thanks.
Eric_Shea
Check with Mueller.

He's got a nice pair he'll sell you for $100.00 w00t.gif
heck914
sorry fellas, i'm kinda new on here... here is my car, lets see if this works.
74 914
heck914
engine. 90 T-bird supercoupe. supercharged 3.8L V6. 210HP 300torque.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.