Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Does this mean I have officially lost my mind?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JamesM
No idea what possessed me to do this. I am already way overloaded on cars and was not even looking to buy another, in fact its the one model of Porsche I have previously said I would never care to own. But I was just scanning the local classified for all things Porsche (as one does) and came across one that happened to be literally around corner in my neighborhood, walking distance so of course I have to go look at it. As I was not really looking to buy but it seemed he was motivated to sell I went ahead an lowballed his asking price...

....I now own a 931 (924 Turbo)! In addition to my 914s and 951.

Normally I only pull this sort of crap with 914s, I honestly have no idea what possessed me to go through with this other then pure Porsche addiction. Maybe 914s are just getting to popular and subconsciously I need to be an outcast again? Maybe it was the fact that this color combination doesn't make me want to gouge my eyes out in the way most 924s do. Maybe it was the fact that I don't drive my 951 for fear of something breaking, while this thing I don't think I will mind beating the stromberg.gif out of.

650 bucks for a Turbo Porsche... maybe that was it. Anyways, here are some pics, please let me know if I have completely lost my mind.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
JamesM
Few more details, has 78K on the odometer (no idea if that is accurate), was parked for at least the last 6 years. Not running, has at the least a bad fuel pump, last owner said he put in a Chinese pump from ebay to get it running and ran it for 20 min but it had no throttle response, then the pump dry and it killed it. I did hear it run powered by started fluid, actually has a pretty cool exhaust sound.

Not sure what exactly my plans are going to be for it, I was going to pack it away while I work on other projects but I am sort of itching to at least get it running first. I was thinking maybe strip it for a track day car but part of me thinks it might be nice enough to be saved as a normal street car, that and the fact that 924 turbos have pretty low production numbers and a good deal of them have been junked.

For the price I was not to worried about the fuel injection issues, as I am well experience with Megasquirt I figured worst case I could pull the CIS system and install Megasquirt for under 400 bucks, that would also help with tune ability if I was to say up the boost some. I do like keeping this original though and I have never played with CIS so might fiddle with that a bit first. As the whole purchase was somewhat un-expected I really dont know what my plans are for it.

Any thoughts?

carr914
I believe those are 944 Turbo S Wheels, so those might be worth more than you paid for the car
JawjaPorsche
Nice Score! beerchug.gif
edwin
Worst case you cut the roof off and weld it on a nice teener
type47
Sweet! smilie_pokal.gif I wouldn't give up on CIS though ...
billh1963
924's (like 914's) are starting to get some "love" from the Porsche fans. For $650 you did well!
gms
I probably would have done the same thing, I always wondered what a 924 Turbo would be like. I love that blue...Nice score!
green914
smile.gif I like it. driving.gif had one for a few years, it was a fun autocross car.
Cap'n Krusty
I had one of the first sold in the US. Loved to drive it, but it suffered 2 bad manifold leak episodes and one turbo failure while I had it (like in about 15 K miles). Had all the issues of early 924s, with the manifold and turbo problems added. 1980s had the "snail" tranny, which was such an issue Porsche imported almost as many spare trannies as they did cars. Got a REALLY big ticket in it ..................... The Chippies had to set up a road block 'cause they couldn't catch me on the mountain road. Ahhhh, to be young and stupid!

The Cap'n
scotty b
Fun cars with a cult following and zero aftermarket help, so when something breaks expect to hunt for it and pay dearly.

I would have done it too for that price smile.gif

If you decide to sell it I actually know of someone in Northern Va that has been looking for a good one for over a year now screwy.gif
Drums66
,,,,Cool addition to the stable.. stones.gif thumb3d.gif
can you dig it!! smoke.gif shades.gif
bye1.gif (good color!)...Drive it!!!!!
flag.gif
Chris H.
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 26 2013, 10:38 AM) *

Got a REALLY big ticket in it ..................... The Chippies had to set up a road block 'cause they couldn't catch me on the mountain road. Ahhhh, to be young and stupid!

The Cap'n

You must have missed the "bridge jump" turn... wait...I have an idea for a movie!

JamesM
QUOTE(scotty b @ Aug 26 2013, 08:39 AM) *

Fun cars with a cult following and zero aftermarket help, so when something breaks expect to hunt for it and pay dearly.

I would have done it too for that price smile.gif

If you decide to sell it I actually know of someone in Northern Va that has been looking for a good one for over a year now screwy.gif

Yeah, I did do some quick research before I took the plunge, enough to know that there is pretty much zero market of used or aftermarket parts and not a ton of info readily available out there, that is why I was thinking of just dropping a Megasquirt setup in, wont have to worry about replacing any of the CIS parts should they be bad, so at least that part does not scare me. I think I will play around with the CIS first but its always nice to have an easy backup plan.

At this point, not having been able to drive it my biggest concern is probably the condition of the clutch, tranny, and torque tube. Getting the turbo rebuilt should not be to bad and replacing it looks only about 100 times easier then on my 951. Other then that I cant think of any real deal killers here.

I figure even if the whole thing goes south and I have to walk away from it, for the price its not a huge deal.
Andyrew
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Aug 26 2013, 10:07 AM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 26 2013, 10:38 AM) *

Got a REALLY big ticket in it ..................... The Chippies had to set up a road block 'cause they couldn't catch me on the mountain road. Ahhhh, to be young and stupid!

The Cap'n

You must have missed the "bridge jump" turn... wait...I have an idea for a movie!

^Ahahahaha!
r_towle
We had a 924s which I consider a cheater car in the pca because they class it lower than the 944 and it weighs less, this it's faster.

I suspect that 924 turbo is the same thing if you want to compete with it....you may be in a lower class with a much higher chance of winning...

If you decide to sell it, let me know.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.