Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Deal on Palm Zire
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scruz914
If anyone is looking for a PDA, I just got a heck of a deal.

I just bought a Palm Zire 72 at Office Max for $200 before a $50 rebate. $150 for a PDA with 320x320 TFT color display, Intel 312 MHz processor, 1.2 megapixal camera, bluetooth, MP3 player, video capability, 32meg memory and an expansion slot. Regular price is $300. I am not sure if the price was a mistake. The $200 was displayed as a special buy but the register rang up $300. I had to get the manager to acknowledge that the $200 shown at the display was correct. And now I submit for the $50 rebate. boldblue.gif

I haven't fired it up yet and don't expect the camera to be much. I am hoping to be able to use the bluetooth with a bluetooth access point connected to my home wi-fi.

-Jeff
bryanthompson
A pelican guy (phred68) just sold his new Zire 72 to me for $130! It's going to get here on about Tuesday, so I can't wait to see how it works out. I have an iPaq right now, which I'm not too happy with. It works fine if you use windows, but getting iPaq to play with Apple is ridiculous. The Zire looks much much better for that, with bluetooth and all of the cool apps. Palm has always been more apple-friendly anyway.

I planned on ordering this super-cool camera: http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/cameras/655e/
but for $30 more, I picked up the Zire, which has a camera too. I've got a 128 meg SD card coming, but i'm looking for deals on 512 meg cards.

When I get it I'll post to this again with how it works out, becuase I know there are a few Apple people here. I suppose windows LUsers might want to know about it also :finger2: biggrin.gif
Part Pricer
You scored on that one. I believe that $200 is right around cost. I had the same thing happen at Office Max last year. I was buying some paper and noticed an HP LaserJet at a very low (incorrect) price. So, I grabbed it at took it up to the cashier to check out. It rang up at the correct (higher) price. I told the cashier that it was marked lower on the floor. The manager came over and I walked to the spot where the printers were located. He said, "You're right. We'll honor the lower price." He was surprised when I said, "OK, I'll take six of them".

On the subject of Palm Zires, I'm actually looking for 100 Zire 31s. For that quantity, I've been able to get a price of $109. Does anyone know if Palm sells through a wholesale channel?
scruz914
QUOTE(Paul Heery @ Dec 10 2004, 04:45 PM)
I believe that $200 is right around cost.

Paul, Yea, and I still get a $50 rebate. The thing is charging now so I have to wait to try it out. What are you going to do with 100 31s?

Bryan, I am a Windows guy. Never liked some of the silliness of the apple look and feel. The lack of software isn't all that great either. I know they make quality machines and I don't think they can be beat for graphic artists.

-Jeff
Rider914
Post a picture taken with the Zire 72 camera, I wonder if it is good enough for web pages. . . .
Thanks
scruz914
QUOTE(Rider914 @ Dec 10 2004, 09:42 PM)
Post a picture taken with the Zire 72 camera, I wonder if it is good enough for web pages. . . .
Thanks

So far the quality has been poor. I need to play with the settings more. I also have to figure out how to get the photos to my PC. More later.
scruz914
QUOTE(Rider914 @ Dec 10 2004, 09:42 PM)
Thanks

Here are some photos from the Zire 72.

640x480 outside:
scruz914
640X480 inside, low light:
scruz914
I had to play with the contrast and brightness. Can't get rid of the fuzzyness. Never thought it would be able to replace a proper camera. Problem is probably due more to optics and low level image capturing electronics. In a pinch I can use it to capture a photo of a Grasshopper when I see one!

-Jeff
Qarl
I bought a canoe at Sam's club.

The display said $399.

I get to the register and it rings up $199. So I tell the young kid at the register that the display said $199.

He looks at me and points to the register and says... "Ummm Dude, the register says 15' Canoe $199.00, I'd take it if I were you!"

I paid the man, loaded up the canoe and hauled but out of there.

And NOW, for my ultimate super stupid salesman story...

Went to a car dealership that had a brand new VW Scirrocco 16v out front. The car stickered for about $18,500. The windshield had $13999 on it. We found a salesman and offered $11,000.

The salesman left and came back a few minutes later. He said... "My manager said you could have it for $9,900"

So we were like... "Okaaaaayy??? Do you have another one? " He said, "sure, there is an identical one out back".

We bought two of them... My stepfather took one too!

I drove that car for six years and traded it in for $5500.00 Very low cost of ownership on that car!!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.