Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Adding NOS to type-4
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Britain Smith
Has anyone added a nitrous oxide system to there type-4 motor? Any thought on doing this?

In "Hot VW" they are doing this to a type-4 motor, but haven't finished yet. What are some considerations when adding a 50shot or 100shot.

-Britain
Bleyseng
I was trying to buy a 914 that a guy had turboed and added NOS. He said the first time he rev'ed it out and hit the nos it blew the intake manifolds right off it. The 914 was only $600 because he didn't know how to fix it.
I thought with nos the heat was the problem, too hot a burn.
Geoff
Brad Roberts
Do me a favor and delete your own thread so I dont have to.

B
Brad Roberts
NOS is cold (which is why you see them using bottle heaters to raise the pressure in the bottle)

Its the thermal shock associated with cooling a hot piston down that causes them to shatter.

B
Aaron Cox
Do me a favor and delete your own thread so I dont have to.

B
laugh.gif LMAO!
driver66
go to venom and check out the computerized nitrios system.........price is not to bad ..and 3 stage system timed , linear, and drag mode. oh,and it SHOULD WORK.
John Kelly
I ran 100hp NOS fogger kit about 14 years ago on a 1776cc VW engine controlled by a Jacobs Nitrous Mastermind. It was great! No problems at all.

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
Brad Roberts
NOS really came on strong when injection became popular. The biggest fear is leaning a cylinder out while on the bottle. This was easy to do with a carburetor (lean a cylinder out and burn holes in the pistons).. injection gave us better fuel control.

Its a waste. Buy a turbo or supercharger. Finding a place to refrill NOS bottles in NorCal is not real easy...

B
driver66
you should be able to slow down the system .....hell i dont know.............but i do know i wouldnt. if your serious trade your 914 for a honda ......or let these guys tell you how to make your car perform with mods you will be happy with.
Brad Roberts
Ha ha.. he drives a Acura...

I told you to delete the thread... you didnt listen.

B
driver66
oh,and the system will sut down automatically if your motor goes lean
krk
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ May 22 2003, 04:32 PM)
Its a waste. Buy a turbo or supercharger. Finding a place to refrill NOS bottles in NorCal is not real easy...

But Brad, you can't turbo a... oh... nevermind...

kim.
driver66
for the love of god man ,were would ya put it???
Brad Roberts
Well.. if you look at his avatar (912 Porsche)... we could Turbo his type4 engine or his 912 engine very easily. We could even use a stock 930 intercooler.

B
Mueller
One big pisser with the NOS is that no one allows it for any type of road race or auto-x event.....the bottle alone will cause you to fail tech.

Personally, i think NOS is stupid on a street car, why put a device on your car that you cannot use anytime you feel like it? With NOS, the bottle has to be opened (and filled), sure they have remote systems, but what if you run low and cannot get to the filling station?

I'd rather have a powerbooster that I know I can use 24/7 and with a degree of "real" adjustibility (the gas pedal being the main one)
Aaron Cox
while in NOSLAND, what is the difference between a WET setup and a DRY setup?
also, NO2 raises the amount of oxygen in the cylinder right? then why not run staight up o2, its all around you and you just got to bottle it?

anyone ever super-charged a teener or VEEDUB for that matter?
Brad Roberts
The was a Florida company back in the early 90's who sold a supercharger kit for 2.0 914's. It looked "ok" except they used a HOKEY 2 barrel progressive Weber on top of the supercharger (and it made it into the magazines... how... I will never know.

B
Aaron Cox
i saw a type IV powered beetle with a 901 trans in VWTRENDS mag. the thing was 2840 cc w/ dual 48 ida's. the thing had scoops in the rear side windows that went straight down to the barrel of the carbs....ram air baby! had like 300 hp or smtin like that! wink.gif
L8Apex
It's all about the Vin Diesel sneeky peek setup under the passenger seat pad.
Andyrew
A wet NOS system injects fuel as well as nos, and a dry only nos.. Nitrous is to cool the charge, and for extra bang (correct me if im wrong). What you could also do is a water/methonal injection system, my father has one on his car, but we didnt see much increase in hp, although he havent tuned it yet though... and the compression numbers are low on his car, and we need to put a new headgasket on, ext, but hey thats his track car..
Aaron Cox
you mean "Sneaky Pete"....slogan is "...Pete could always keep a secret!..."
rhodyguy
a really super idea for a 30 year old transmission. do you plan on some stop light action in your car? better put red-beards address on your file so you can get your trany fixed and include that cost before you start on this misadventure, and I think I do weird stuff to my car.

kevin
kdfoust
You guys are so ooooold schooooooool. Hell, if I was 18 I'd damn sure have NOS on whatever I was driving - it's gotta be the cheapest power you can make. Sure there's risks but for the most part we're talk'n about cars (Sentra, Civic...) that you can swap the whole drivetrain aircleaner to axle in a weekend for $400. So who cares. Pop a few $400 drive trains, beat some p-cars and vettes in stoplight drags, tell some lies (I mean racing stories)...sounds like fun to me.

Now a NOS 912. Interesting, munch some wine and cheese crowd cars for fun along with inifinityacuralexus whatevers. Same deal - buy used engines and trannies for $1000 a pop. If ya burn 'em up who cares? Start a pile in the back yard... aktion035.gif

Have fun,
Kevin
Aaron Cox
nos is cheap when it comes to racing! not legal and it will break the bank for a good sytem.....1000 dollars a pop? if only the rest of us could afford that! cool.gif
rhodyguy
so break a used $1000 motor on fri night. spend a grand on a new used motor. the rest of the week swaping out, buy cv gaskets by the lot, break your tranny the next fri. repeat, repeat, repeat. this equals ALL new rubber, a dandy paint job, and aleast a week in kehei maui to me the first month or so. just different paths. people in wa are going to prison, not the county jail, for street racing related offenses.

kevin
Aaron Cox
icon13.gif i heard something down here in CA, you get caught racing, you lose! not only the race, your license, but now they take your car and sell it! one of my ricer buddies told me this
kdfoust
Perhaps I came across a little radical, but, oh well. When you look at what it would cost (time and money) to build a sano TIV with 170-200 HP that isn't a grenade blowing up an occasional $1000 (realistically less than that - you could use old bus motors - whatever) used motor/tranny seems pretty cheap to me. I think you'd get over it after 2 or 3 weekends pulling motors and piling them in the backyard anyway. Learning how to use "the bottle" so it didn't roast the drivetrain would become pretty important.

Yeah, that street racing issue is interesting. I don't know about prison for racing. There's nothing new about it. I think it's just a population density problem - bystanders getting squashed and the like is unsavory. We did it out in "the country" (which is now a strip mall) 25 years ago. Dangerous for participants and roadside trees... A different time for sure :sweet:

Have fun,
Kevin
East coaster
NOS, Hmmmmmmm......Is that for the driver?? How do you see past the balloon to drive??
Brad Roberts
Ha ha east coaster.. best response yet clap56.gif

Nitrous along with everything else can be made to work safely/properly. Ghia John above posted he ran it on a 1776 V-dub engine for years.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.