Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Somewhat OT - new car in the stable!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
carreraguy
Well, the M3 went back to the dealer at lease end, but I needed a replacement. After much research I picked up a nice low mileage R32 from SoCal. Its a real blast to drive; first time I've had an AWD car. Should be nice in an autocross; 6 speed, 240hp, DOHC 6cyl 3.2 engine, 0-60 5.9secs, approx. 3,400lbs. Outstanding braking! Many add a beefier (22 vice 16mm) rear sway bar. Planning on getting rid of the chrome wheels; will go for the stock OZ "Aristos" or some lighter wheels. The Aristos look the same but are not chromed. Decent write up on the car in January Motor Trend. Only negative is that I will be forced to spend more time on the Vortex R32 BBS!
Rhodes71/914
Those are sweet cars. smilie_pokal.gif When they a few years old I will be able to afford one. I like the non-chromed wheels as well.

Have fun and keep us posted on the reliability, that's the only neg I've heard about new VWs.

Sean
campbellcj
Sweet! I've run across a few around here and they seem to scoot in the tight stuff very well, and the exhaust sounds nice and "burbly".

Not that it's a direct comparison, but adding a 19mm Neuspeed rear swaybar on my S4 definitely helped dial-out the horrid factory understeer and body roll that the AWD chassis seem afflicted with these days. I'd prefer a full suspension kit but it hasn't been in the budget or calendar yet.

Better tires help a bunch too; I have SO3's right now but they are toast and I'm unsure what I'll get next. They were a HUGE improvement over the OE rubber.
Mueller
sweet ride....I'd love to test drive one.....if you get the "conversion" bug, they make an adapter kit for our 914 gearboxes, hahahaha
MattR
hehe, now you have a Porsche, a VW, and a volksporsche biggrin.gif

Nice ride!
beemie96
Carreraguy -

Is it true that there is no spare tire in the R32? I know a guy that had a flat, and had to get towed, stay in a hotel, get a new tire the next day...
carreraguy
Beemie:

Yep thats true; no spare. the R32 has an inflation system simlar to the E46 M3, but if the hole is too big, the goop won't seal it and you will have to have it flatbedded because of the car's low profile. My understanding is that VW had to go this route becasue of the Haldex AWD system space requirements in the rear.

However, you can purchase and fit a tire/wheel combo from another model of the Golf that will fit under the storage compartment but the spare fits the rear only (brake clearance prob on front) so if you have a front flat, you will be doing two changes. Many think it is worth the expense/hassle for peace of mind on long trips etc. Some think the Goodyear F1's are blister-prone and this may be part of the problem. I'll let you know when I have my first flat.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.