Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Metal flare comparison
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
puffinator
There seem to be a number of companies selling steel GT flares but I find only one that is manufacturing them: Restoration Design. Are there differences between those being offered by the different companies? Could those of you who have installed them offer up some pros and cons of the different offerings, if there are any.
bulitt
I believe AA is the only one manufacturing them. RD is selling the AA flare last post I remember, and so are the rest- Pelican, etc...
Every now and then an original set pops up, few and far between.
The AA flares are pretty darn nice and about every two years somebody puts a group buy together. Last one had the flares at 750$ plus shipping and flared rockers for 150$ (I think).

Heres some reading- Flares
SirAndy
QUOTE(bulitt @ Aug 27 2013, 02:08 PM) *
I believe AA is the only one manufacturing them.

agree.gif
puffinator
QUOTE(bulitt @ Aug 27 2013, 05:08 PM) *

I believe AA is the only one manufacturing them. RD is selling the AA flare last post I remember, and so are the rest- Pelican, etc...
Every now and then an original set pops up, few and far between.
The AA flares are pretty darn nice and about every two years somebody puts a group buy together. Last one had the flares at 750$ plus shipping and flared rockers for 150$ (I think).

Heres some reading- Flares

Thanks for the info and links.
Rob

Woody
My parts manager may have a line on some original sets. A little pricey but they come with a Porsche part number.
carr914
QUOTE(Woody @ Aug 27 2013, 10:10 PM) *

My parts manager may have a line on some original sets. A little pricey but they come with a Porsche part number.

Originals are thinner guage metal - if OP is converting a 4 cyl, buy the Repops and save the Factory Flares for a Real -6.
sean_v8_914
please do not install flares on a real six.
CptTripps
QUOTE(carr914 @ Aug 28 2013, 08:27 AM) *

Originals are thinner guage metal - if OP is converting a 4 cyl, buy the Repops and save the Factory Flares for a Real -6.

+1
CptTripps
QUOTE(carr914 @ Aug 28 2013, 08:27 AM) *

+1
SirAndy
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Aug 28 2013, 07:13 AM) *
+1

QUOTE(CptTripps @ Aug 28 2013, 07:13 AM) *
+1

+2 biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Aug 28 2013, 06:44 AM) *
please do not install flares on a real six.

Especially if they're fiberglass ... slap.gif

I've got one of them rare original /6 with FG flares.
dry.gif
GeorgeRud
Stoddard sent an email this morning stating that they have an original factory set of flares available. I do agree that you should save them for a factory 6 (so Sir Andy can replace his fiberglass ones?).

The AA ones are actually quite nicely made, and reasonably priced. I do appreciate that folks are making these parts still available as these cars are getting pretty old with a limited market.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.