Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front coil over opinions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
chad newton
Are guys using front coil overs, and what are their advantages?
tscrihfield
I am building a set currently. I am using bilstein RSR struts with 225 lb hypercoils.

The advantages are actually dependent on the user. Spring weights that are difficult to acheive in tortion bars can be easily found in coils and adjustability is much easier. I am using them for adjustability and for ease of spring rate change. They are a high initial cost but worth it In my application and opinion.

brant
They are more adjustable in that you can change spring rates quicker and have more selection.

however, I'm not really a fan
I don't see people with 914's changing spring rates before or during track events.

so unless you intend to re-spring for every different track you go to, they cost a lot of money to give you adjustability that you will not use

the downsides are cost, using up tire clearance room, and moving weight to a less desireable position and theoretically more sprung weight

improving lap time through a professional coach is far better than through special suspension or car parts... 10K worth of parts will make up 1-2 seconds. 15K worth of engine parts will make up 1-2 seconds. 1K worth of professional coaching will make up 3-4 seconds.
Dave_Darling
Advantages:
- You can get higher spring rates on coils than you can get for torsions that fit in the stock housings.
- You can generally swap coil springs faster than torsion bars.
- Coil springs are available in increments of about 25 lbs/in, while torsion bars are usually only available in a limited number of sizes.
- You can tell people you have coil-overs on your car.

Disadvantages:
- Higher unsprung weight.
- Takes more room in the fender which limits tire/wheel size and offset.
- Stresses the shock towers in a way they weren't intended to be stressed, so reinforcing them is a Very Good Idea.
- Costs more than just leaving what you have.

In general, the change is not worthwhile until it becomes absolutely necessary--usually because you need more spring rate than you can get from the T-bars. And that's only for fairly advanced race cars.

--DD
Eric_Shea
fairly advanced race cars

extremely advanced... biggrin.gif
jimkelly
3 questions.

1- why do you ask?

2 - what state you live in?

3- assuming you are building a car, what is your total budget for the build?

brand new and/or rebuilt stock suspension and brake parts alone run about $2000 plus sway bars and install and alignment.

thanks
jim
brant
It's also a question that refers back to reading the rule book of where you want to run the car. It's a modification that's not legal with most vintage clubs. And will throw you into the highest modified class of PCA and other clubs.
r_towle
not worth the effort.

Get a decent anti sway bar with all the adjustments.
Stick with stock torsion bars and use the anti sway bar to help you tune it.

You can get 21mm torsion bars also...

rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.