Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB Solid, straight 1970 or 1971 914 for 914/6 conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
914ltd
I have a customer looking for a nice early body (1970 or 1971 only) for a 914/6 conversion. Mechanicals, interior are secondary to basic chassis condition. Thanks for looking. Brad
Porschewagon
QUOTE(914ltd @ Aug 27 2013, 07:24 PM) *

I have a customer looking for a nice early body (1970 or 1971 only) for a 914/6 conversion. Mechanicals, interior are secondary to basic chassis condition. Thanks for looking. Brad

Got a 9/70 possibly for sale. Straight very little rust stored inside on the dry side of Washington state. $6,500.00 OBO. Let me know if they are interested.
rhodyguy
"TC"=tri cities?
Porschewagon
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Sep 9 2013, 06:48 AM) *

"TC"=tri cities?

Yes, or as some call it...the dry cities.
914ltd
QUOTE(Porschewagon @ Sep 8 2013, 09:18 PM) *

Got a 9/70 possibly for sale. Straight very little rust stored inside on the dry side of Washington state. $6,500.00 OBO. Let me know if they are interested.

Thanks for the offering. Probably looking for something more suitable (not running, etc.) for the conversion. Brad
Nine_14
No build date given by owner

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/cto/4013098349.html
ScoopLV

Why does it matter if it's a 1970 or 1971? Just curious.
rwilner
QUOTE(ScoopLV @ Sep 10 2013, 02:11 PM) *

Why does it matter if it's a 1970 or 1971? Just curious.

I think these versions are the lightest, they have the early doors without the reinforcements, no bumper horns, etc.

They also tend to be the cheapest since they're 1.7s and the passenger seat isn't movable, the hvac has only one center vent, and they didn't have many options available like the center console.

I think all of that is true but maybe some experts will chime in.
moparrob
Brad, if your customer is looking to capitalize on a nearly complete project which has had serious funds invested to date, and wants to save a bundle, see my post from earlier in response to another inquiry today:

If you are looking for something that is nearly completed and are serious about getting a nice car I may have something of interest for you. I too was looking for a very nice example of a 914-6 GT and was fortunate enough to find my present car.

My project has been sitting for over six months now although it is nearly complete. I have done an extremely large amount of work to the car since I have purchased it, with the plan of converting it from a beautiful four-cylinder car to an extremely trick six-cylinder car.

The guy from whom I bought the car had done a complete ground-up restoration in 1998. The car has sat from that time to the present in a garage, the last 3 years on Jack stands.

If you are serious about wanting a nice six-cylinder car check out the description on this one:

EXCELLENT CONDITION - 914-6 GT metal flared replica built from a 74 2.0. VIN: 4742916514, manufactured 04/74. Color: L80E Light Ivory - 2 minor defects - otherwise beautiful. See video link.

This is the car the day got it:

IPB Image

This car underwent a complete restoration in 1998 and has been stored in a garage since. This car was taken down to the last bolt literally. All hardware that was removed and kept was cadmium plated. The complete suspension, wiper arms, gas tank, roll bar and other parts are powder coated.

Pretty much all of the parts are new. I have a huge pack of receipts that come with the car. I’ll never get back what I paid into it but I don’t expect to.

Body: Completely stripped and done correctly by Eurotech Bodywerks in Totem Lake Washington. They are a much respected and sought after body shop for fine autos. NO expense was spared and the cost was what you would expect from a job like they did. The interior and trunk areas were done as well. Still have receipts. The metal flares are genuine Porsche factory Porsche 914-GT part numbers and were professionally butt welded to the car.

The battery tray was replaced with repro parts and a small bit of rust was taken care of before the paint was applied.

Rear bumper was completely straightened (tit holes welded) then painted gloss black and now looks awesome.

Front bumper and valance are 916 replica (fiberglass) to allow air to reach front cooler. The front bumper has been fitted to allow for the completely reconditioned fog lamps with powder coated backs, new lenses and new black grills.

IPB Image

Engine: Not currently installed - but the car is set up for, and includes, a 1979 3.0 (big port) flat six. The engine came from a customer of Patrick Motorsports in Arizona and has been checked, re-sealed, turbo cam chain tensioner upgrade, plus turbo valve covers are installed (machined to clear the suspension arms and powder coated).

IPB Image

IPB Image

A complete set of 914-6 conversion sheet metal has been painted and installed. The fan has been powder coated and a new alternator installed while it was apart.

IPB Image

1 5/8 inch headers (from Marty at MSDS) have been professionally ceramic coated.

Weber 40 IDA-3C carbs with manifolds were sourced then completely gone through by Paul Abbott at Performance Oriented. Carbs have been bench run, jetted and synched and are installed and ready to run. New phenolic spacers have been installed. All linkage has been cadmium plated.

IPB Image

Distributor was rebuilt and re-curved by Jerry Woods specifically for this configuration, utilizing a new distributor cap.

A new Rich Johnson 6 cylinder engine conversion mount has been welded in, seam sealed and primered.

Clutch: Kennedy Engineering Stage II conversion kit including flywheel, pressure plate, clutch disk and throw out bearing are new in box (not installed). This allows you to use stock 901 side shifter.

Front cooler/cooling system: A Mazda RX-7 cooler has been flushed, inspected and modified with AN -12 fittings and fitted to a custom mount using thermostatically controlled dual electric fans. Custom braided AN -12 hydraulic lines have been fabricated and extend from front cooler to rear Mocal thermosat and to rear oil tank.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Engine oil cooler has been modified with AN fittings and output is redirected for use in a 914.

Has brand new Patrick Motorsports oil tank and original 914-6 filler and oil filter console hardware.

IPB Image

Electrical and ignition: Complete new rear wiring harness custom made by Perry Kiel at 914 Network (amazing work), eliminates relay board entirely. Set up for MSD ignition box.

New MSD-6AL ignition box and Blaster coil - both in boxes. New Magnecor (the best) ignition wires.

Includes Optima gel 34R battery.

Fuel system: Fuel tank was removed, stripped, internally coated and exterior powder coated gloss black. New fuel sender.

Holley HP 125 fuel pump and 10 micron external fuel filter have been mounted in front trunk (next to collapsible 911 spare). Holley adjustable fuel regulator in mounted in engine compartment. The entire car has been plumbed in aluminum fuel line with AN -6 fuel fittings.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Transmission: 5 speed standard ratios and it was re-built with about 1,000 miles currently on it. Installed 914-6 mid plate with 914-6 throttle linkage included. Was recently taken apart, examined and re-sealed. The shift rod was modified for the headers, powder coated black, all side shifter parts were replaced, and all shifter bushings are new.

Rear Suspension and brakes: The rear suspension was completely removed and bead blasted. The arms were strengthened with the Automotion kit which was welded on, and the sway bar attachment arms were also welded. The arms were prepped like body work then they were powder coated black. New poly-graphite bushings and bearings were installed. Koni shocks with adjustable preload installed.

The rear brakes are 914 with braided lines, 911 cross-drilled rotors attached to machined and hardened 914-6 half shaft adapters.

Front Suspension and brakes: The front suspension assembly was completely disassembled and bead blasted before being powder coated. The sway bar attachment points were welded to the arms then the arms, mount, steering rack and cross tube were powder coated and rebuilt with new poly graphite bushings, bearing, seals. 911 SC struts with adjustable perches, Koni shocks, turbo tie rods, ball joints have been installed. The torsion bars are stock size.

The front brakes are 911 SC and the pads are Padgid RS-4 with stainless steel braided brake lines.

Sway bars are 22mm with improved front adapters and are adjustable for balancing or preloading installed using poly graphite bushings.

Interior and trunks: completely prepped and repainted. All trunk hardware and plastic was replaced with new or cadmium plated original parts. A roll bar was designed for this car, built and powder coated red and fitted to the car using bolts so it can be removed to access the rear panel.

A 911 (6 cylinder) tach was installed in the stock location. All gauges have been rebuilt to early specs, with chrome button on needles, by North Hollywood Speedometer. Also has custom quad gauge from New Vintage gauges with combination amps, oil pressure, fuel level and oil temperature.

IPB Image

A short shift kit has been installed, sound proofing was melted and formed into place with heat guns inside the doors (resulting in a nice door slam not tinny - but 911 like). Sound proofing was also installed on the floor pans, foot well, and sills. Carpet has been removed but includes a new set of Porsche crest embossed mats. A MOMO leather steering wheel is installed. The pedal cluster was removed bread blasted powder coated, new silicon brass bushings, springs and pedal pads installed.

Stock handbrake was removed (to accommodate 911 seats) and a 911 center handbrake has been mounted with custom cables fabricated to operate stock 914 rear parking brake/calipers.

New Engman fuse panel using new-style fuses (fits stock location) has been purchased, not installed.

Includes two new Engman driver's and passenger side aluminum foot boards.

Exterior: Custom fitted adjustable electric (heated) 944 mirrors have been color matched to car. A switch for selecting the mirror you want to adjust and new basket weave vinyl are on the dash. A 911 mirror adjustment switch is located on the driver’s door armrest in a convenient location.

A Sony CD/FM radio is installed with a Hirschman electric flat black antenna. A 75 watt stereo power amp is installed under the dash. New knobs where needed are used. The dash panel has a slight crack that can be fixed by a competent vinyl repair service or it can be replaced.

Car originally had Sparco PRO 2000 seats, which have since been swapped for 1989 Porsche 964 power leather seats. Includes TRW 5 point harnesses with TRW pads that are fine for use on the street.

All heater cables and switches were overhauled and adjusted and everything works - however the engine has headers and no heat exchangers.

Electric window washer motor operated via a mini switch in the turn signal arm in place of the pneumatic one that comes with the car.

Doors: The doors were removed from the car stripped and painted, sound deadening material was molded in place, the window mechanisms were cleaned and lubricated, the doors were cut for speakers, and a thick Mylar film was adhered to the interior side of the doors for moisture protection, Custom 911 style door panels are in place and the backs have been waterproofed. The doors close with authority and a thud, not like a typical 914 door slam. All hardware was restored and plated or replaced as required.

IPB Image

Headlights: Were completely restored including bushings where needed. The motors were checked, contacts cleaned, all mechanisms were cad plated and assembled with new bushings where needed. Hella Z-beam lights with up-rated blubs installed (higher wattage). Everything adjusted and assemblies are working fine.

Wheels and tires: The wheels are (real) Fuchs 7 & 8 x 16” and flawless (same as on 1979 930 Turbo Carrera). Polished lips with black centers, painted crest hubs with locks, locking wheel nuts The tires are hardly used Bridgestone SO-1’s.

The car needs the following:

Install engine, flywheel, pressure plate, clutch transmission. (All included)

Finish front oil cooler installation (fabricate cooler shroud, complete wiring for electric fans, connect braided lines).

Finish interior wiring (reconfigure dash gauge wiring for combo quad gauge, install new fuse panel, run power to electric seats, install new engine harness, wire in MSD box, wire in cooler fans, wire in fuel pump)

Paint front fiberglass bumper black.

Install new carpet

Complete and show quality other than that.

So to summarize, as you can imagine, there has been well over $35,000 spent on this car getting it to its present stage. I have receipts for the majority of those costs.

If you are truly interested in such a project I would be willing to part with it for $22,000.

If this is something you might be interested in please PM me and we can talk further.

Rob
ScoopLV
I wonder how much this 1970 914/6 will go for. This would be an ideal candidate for restoration, I think...

http://www.worldwide-auctioneers.com/aucti...D=187&id=52
914ltd
Thanks to all that replied. The customer has now shifted his focus on a real /6 and is negotiating for the silver consignment car I have listed here. Brad
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.