Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: new top end, intermittently runs poor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Flat VW
Got my 72', 1.7FI out of the shop after having the top end done. MDB2.gif

The car ran well for a day or so, then started to miss at higher revs. headbang.gif

It ran rather poorly and lacked torque and was'nt "revvy" now at any rpm. I took the car in for 500 mile valve lashing, got the car back and the "power" was good again. BLAH,Blah,blah.........

It seems when the car is hot, perhaps, the "spark" diminishes.... confused24.gif

I once needed new dizzy bearings for my 75' 914, is that perhaps what my problem with this car is? chairfall.gif

The Az Toy Run would be allot "funner" with full power! driving.gif MDB2.gif MDB2.gif
Mueller
sounds like muffler bearings instead smile.gif

what kind of ignition setup do you have?

(coil, points or electronic??)
Flat VW
Stock FI, D-jet sound right?

TIA
Mueller
yes, that sounds correct...but inside your distributor you will either have mechanical points (contact breaker) or an electrical device, (magnetic or optical)

check out this site:

Brad Anders most excellent D-Jet information web site

he has some tables and troubleshooting info...
Flat VW
I have breaker type- points-
Flat VW
icon_bump.gif
SpecialK
I'd ditch the points and go with an electronic setup (pertronix, crane, etc...). If it starts out okay cold, and then loses power after warm-up they might have the valve/rocker gap too tight.....just a thought.
DJsRepS
Hi check your trigger points smooth movement (lube) clean points and lube cam lobe. Then the FI harness for grounds and mine had a couple terminals ready to rot off the end of the green copper wire. I removed every plastic plug from the harness to inspect the crimp connection where I found the green copper wire corrosion. One terminal fell off when I opened the insulator clamp of the terminal. Every terminal has 2 clamps one for the insulation and other for the copper connection. I cut the casing off the harness to inspect the insulation for cracks or stiffness. Then used spiral wrap from raido shack and heat shrink tubing from another eletronics supply.........Oh yea I found alot of loose connections on the ECU connection. The ECU plug has terminals you can slide a feeler gauge into to feel the difference of each terminals grip on the ECU then pinch the terminal tighther as nessary. Mine had loose ECU terminals on both 12v supply's and the ground and on trigger points all thoes C clamp looking terminals. My intermintent miss took awhile to find sometimes ran 3 days fine and other days it would come and go in one ride. It got so bad I would park it a week out of anger and thats hard to do with a street legal 914. Good luck mine drove me crazy. I agree with the pointless ign. I cant feel any play in the distrubitor but my timing light jumps all over the mark. I think the perlux ? pointless ign will help that. Good luck my miss about drove me crazy. Did alot of reading on this board and alot of procedures like soldering the rivets in the relay board. That one didnt help but it was a process of elemination. Sorry bout the long post hope it helps.
Flat VW
Thanks, DJsRepS chatsmiley.gif
Bleyseng
Slap a timing light on the engine and warm it up. Check the timing marks for jumping, blurring more than 1/2" etc....thats what bad dizzy bearing looks like. You can also pop off the cap and see how much slop side to side the dizzy has. Should be fairly tight.
Geoff biggrin.gif
Flat VW
Special K,

Thanks for your reply.

It seem to be a spark thing,IMHO

Comes and goes, when driving at revs you can feel it snap on (miss) and snap off (clean up).

Me gut says spark. smash.gif
Bleyseng
then I would start checking and cleaning all the grounds...tranny strap, battery neg, FI grounds block on engine etc....
Geoff
TheCabinetmaker
A miss at high revs could also indicate misadjusted dwell. Check the connection to the head temp sensor also. And yes of course, the grounds
anthony
Check the timing marks for jumping, blurring more than 1/2" etc....thats what bad dizzy bearing looks like.

My car behaved like that when I got it but it wasn't a worn distributor just one that needed to be cleaned. I took it apart, lubricated it, and added a Pertronix and driveability improved 100%.
Flat VW
The Pertronics fixed it right up, did it? lol2.gif

Yes, a ground check is in order.

The problem is not dizzy bearings, too repeatable after further testing ( Bad dizzy bearings are much more "excentric" ( greater swings in timing?).

This problem seems to be heat related- happens when the engine is good and warm.

What does the head temp sensor do? dwell adjustment? confused24.gif

To drive the car, the "miss" seems consistant with a "flaky" electrical connection, ie. in corners sometimes it will suddenly clean up and there is a certain "on" - "off" feel to the power going in and out.

I will first check the grounds, then go thru and clean every FI electrical connection I can find. ar15.gif

Thanks for the feedback to all cool_shades.gif
jwalters
confused24.gif When you had the engine worked on---do u still have the aluminum pushrods?? if not the valve clearance specs will change---that sounds far too like too close of a clearence.
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(Flat VW @ Dec 11 2004, 01:41 PM)

What does the head temp sensor do? dwell adjustment? confused24.gif

The head temp sensor is a part of the system that is a requirement for it to work. It's the wire coming out of the engine tin above and right of the # 3 spark plug.

Dwell is the amount of degrees the points are open (for spark). An essential for proper tuneing.
Flat VW
vsg914,

Does the head temp sensor (thru the d-jet I suppose) vary dwell? wacko.gif
TheCabinetmaker
No. Do you have a djet system? 2.0? 1.7?
Flat VW
1.7 1972 d-jet, l-jet, it all the same thing. bootyshake.gif

stock FI... biggrin.gif
TheCabinetmaker
All the same thing? Who the hell told ya that? alfred.gif
Flat VW
My idea of humor, could not remember which the car has... confused24.gif

Sorry, my humor often does not always translate right to text. smoke.gif
DJsRepS
It almost has to be a Djet the Ljet has a big ugly box before the ugly airfilter, the air flow sensor. Also my stock 1972 1.7 has Djet. I doupt it was an factory option, lets see Ljet or Djet ??? Take the cap off lay it to the side, pull the green point's wire off the coil, 10mm wrench loosen timing clamp, pop off adv vac hoses, and trigger pts wire, spin dist all d way left, 13mm nut on block remove, pull the dist then trigger points then advance plate clean clean clean then lube then ohm with meter. Mine had rust stains on dist cam lobes and one of the trigger points had gummy feeling movment had to lube the piviot. The dist can only go back one way offset slot. But you will need a timing light. Always set your points/dwell before the timing light. Do the points up grade apx $80. Im doing mine asap$$$ as my timing mark jumps around setting tring to set the timing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.