Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Valve adjustment question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ronnie J
I adusted my 1.7's valves for the first time and it sounds like two skeletons humping on a tin roof. It runs but major loss of power what are the correct settings for a 1.7 and will it hurt to drive it a few miles to a mechanic who knows what there doing?
Elliot_Cannon
Hi,
You might find a valve adjustment procedure iether on this web site or on the Pelican Parts web site. It's prettyeasy to do but if you don't do it rite it can result in some problems you don't need.
Cheers, Elliot
ejm
The Pelican article is here

to drive it a few miles to a mechanic who knows what there doing?

a 914 mechanic in Alaska must feel a lot like the Maytag repairman biggrin.gif
Ctrout
So far I have rebuilt all 4 calipers, changed master cylinder, changed clutch to include rear main and trans seals, adjusted valves and other routine maintenance. I have yet to be faced with a job that I would consider difficult on this car. They were all intimidating at first and quite messy but in the end, they really weren't that bad. Take your time, read each step in whatever tech article you are using, ask questions here and by all means, do the job yourself. Very rewarding and when you finally whip whatever has been whipping you, you will be that much more familiar with your car. You will also go away asking yourself "Why did I EVER consider paying a mechanic to do THAT?"
jr91472
agree.gif

And I am no mechanic
mattillac
agree.gif
i second that. it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside when i do something myself and find out that i did it right. ohmy.gif clap56.gif
swood
QUOTE(mattillac @ Dec 11 2004, 01:55 PM)
agree.gif
i second that. it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside when i do something myself and find out that i did it right. ohmy.gif clap56.gif

I've yet to experience that feeling... headbang.gif
mattillac
QUOTE(swood @ Dec 11 2004, 02:29 PM)
agree.gif
i second that. it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside when i do something myself and find out that i did it right. ohmy.gif  :clap:

um, maybe more like a cold, greasy feeling. idea.gif
Dave_Darling
BTW, it's tough to verbally describe how the valve gap should "feel" on the feeler gauge. I'd read a half-dozen descriptions before I tackled my first adjustment (my old Honda Accord!), and when I was done the car had no power and made a ton of racket. I'd set everything too loose. So a buddy of mine came over the next day and set one valve for me. I checked that one again myself, and that told me how much drag there should be on the gauge when moving it in the gap.

I highly recommend getting a friend who knows this stuff to set one for you.

--DD
URY914
I would say the most common mistake is a gap that is too large (no wise ass comments, please). I had a guy tell me once that you need to tighten them enough for the feeler gauge to hang by the adjustment screw without falling out. Just enough that you can pull it out after you lock down the nut.

Paul
newdeal2
Paul...just curious, since I am going to check my clearances again with the engine in the car, do most of you get the valve set and tighten the nut alone or hold the adjuster with a screwdriver while tightening. I only ask since I don't know how difficult this will be to do UNDER the car! laugh.gif
URY914
Hold it with the screwdriver and tighten the nut. Yes, you need three hands. You will overtighten it first but after a few trys you'll get it right.

P
redshift
QUOTE(swood @ Dec 11 2004, 06:29 PM)
agree.gif
i second that. it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside when i do something myself and find out that i did it right. ohmy.gif  :clap:

Swoody, meanyouboth..

smile.gif

M
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.