Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Engine going in the car today
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DNHunt
Last thing I did was check the fluids and it's ready to go.
DNHunt
Somethings missing, well actually a dummy is there instead
DNHunt
Yep, ass end is ready to go except for the O2 sensor.

Dave
rhodyguy
looks good dave. it's been a long road for you.

kevin
Jake Raby
Looks great Dave!

should be interesting to see what those MAPS look like with that Plenum and throttle body. Conventional wisom and calculations have shown that the stock plenum and TB are good to right at 125 HP, so we'll see about that with yours!

If that plenum supports your engine it'll make the Kit Carlson kits I'm working with MUCH easier to finish the development with and cheaper as well!

what injectors are you using??
Jeroen
great! keep us posted!
Jake Raby
BTW- You have my cell #... Call me if you feel the need!
DJsRepS
Awsome looking motor and exaust. What kind of wicked sick ign coil pak is that and where did the distributer go? Crank drive ign ? and not an OEM injection system???
DJsRepS
I think I saw MSD on the coil pak pic,
DNHunt
Jake

Stock 2.0 l injectors The throttle body is 50mm up from 45 and the inlet for the airbox is 3" up from about 2"

DJsRepS The injection is programmable and the ignition is crankfire

By the way I had a bunch of help today. Kevin (rhodyguy) Al (Alblose) and Greg (Rieche) all came by to help.
DNHunt
The engine's in!! smilie_pokal.gif I still have all the BS to hook up and I've got some issues with the speedo and clutch cables. I need to fab a piece to keep them away from the header. Hopefully I'll get it going tomorrow.

The kids are gone tonight so I have plans. wub.gif

Dave
Eddie914
Dave,

Looking good. Wish I could be there to help.

Eddie
Bleyseng
Looks GREAT! Dave. Did you get it running last night?? Only 125hp? Hmm, I guess the proof will be in the pudding when she's running and you dyno her.

Geoff smilie_pokal.gif
DNHunt
Geoff

Nope, gonna go to church first and fire it up later today. Gerry has to work part of the day and I want him there. I've got about an hour of work left hooking up stuff. The FI program is new and I had to make some changes to the board, the ignition is new, new exhaust, some new wiring. Everything looked OK on the MS stim so I think it will go but, I hate changing more than 1 thing at a time. I got so many new things I think I could use a little divine intervention.

Hard to say about the hp. Believe it or not I never asked Jake how much it would make. Foolish or not, I kind of took a leap of faith. If you look at his post, it suggests that the stock intake will be the limiting factor. He's skeptical of whether the stock induction will breathe enough. I suspect there is more in the engine than that but it may take more air to get it. We'll see.

Dave
Jake Raby
That combo shuld be good for 155 HP at the flywheel... With the injection it could be good for more than 160 lb ft of torque though!!

I have never tried using the stock plenum with mods for an engine this big, so its all on Dave on this one!

If its hard to tune, its probably that plenum...
Mueller
wow, 155 hp??...what size is this engine again???

how much bigger (volume wise) should the plenum be?

would he gain anything or lose hp/torque by switching to seperate throttle bodies on each bank of the engine??
Jake Raby
Its a 2270 with Nickies...

The plenum volume is something that I have been working on as we have been designing two different plenums for the Kit Carlson system.. I can't post what size mine will be because there are too many eyes here..

Individual runners have always made more overall power in my testing, but they lack the awesome drivability of a plenum. The individual runners do make things easier to tune though, and the cam can be much more agressive without low speed issues.

I will be offering the Kit Carlson system both ways, plenum based and individual runner based.
rhodyguy
everytime i see the engine i ask "when did you get this?". there allways seems to be something "new". <_< . the visa must be a puddle of melted plastic. a ride with the new engine should be exciting.

kevin
DNHunt
Well, not exactly a raging success. First I couldn't get the starter to do anything. It turned out I had the 12 pin plug on the relay board in wrong. Wasted an hour. Then there was no switched 12 volt. I left the wire from pin 7 out of the wiring harness. An hour and a half. The fuel pump is only staying on for a second so I need to check that out.

So, I accomplished cranking it with the plugs out to build oil pressure and rebuilding my wiring harness. Got the clutch cable and speedo cable of the headers with a fabbed bracket. Haven't tried to fire it up yet. Maybe Tuesday evening.

Dave
DNHunt
I think I figured out the fuel pump problem. I think I cooked the transitor that switches it on. First I need to check continuity from the ECU to the fuel pump relay and the relay itself. Then I measure voltages in the fuel pump circuit. I'll bet I'm replacing the transistor though.

Couple more hours but it's nice to be able to fixit yourself.

Dave
Eric_Shea
We're getting tired of waiting. Hurry up and fire that damn thing up!

We want a driving report w00t.gif driving.gif
DNHunt
It's gonna be a while till I drive it. There won't be much time to spend on it until after Christmas. I just hope to get the problems solved so I know it will go so I'm not so obcessed by it

Dave
dinomium
Oh Dave... admitting the obsession is the first step to have a second 914!
HA!~
I will have some time off in btween Christmas and New Years if you need some extra "help"...
Does your multi meter have a temp setting? Mine does!
DNHunt
I solved the fuel pump issue. It turns out that it was a software thing. The logic in the lfuel pump circuit is the same as D-jet. If the ECU doesn't see the engine crank it shuts off the fuel pump and that was what was happenning. MS lets you set a cranking speed and mine was set too high so the ECU shut the pump down thinking that the engine was not cranking. As soon as I entered an appropriate RPM everthing worked.

The good news is that this proves that the ECU is seeing a tach signal from the Ford ignition module so the crank sensor is working and the module is alive. It may run yet.

This afternoon I'll adjust the fuel pressure and work on spark.

Dave
Rocky
Nice job Dave. Looks great. Let me know when your ready to drive or drive it by my place for a warm up. beerchug.gif clap56.gif

Tim
rhodyguy
i thought you would'nt have any time until after christmas. biggrin.gif

kevin
DNHunt
Had to get up and pee at 3:15 this morning, went back to bed and started mentally beating myself up. "Get up and get something done you lazy SOB". I got a damn drill sargent in my head. I must be getting close to Multiple Personnality Disorder brought on by obcessing about 914s.

I must be sick. I'm sure tired now.

Betsy said I can work on it this afternoon after work.

Dave
Bleyseng
Well, is it running yet?? Waiting for you to get all the bugs worked out so I can then switch over to MS without all these headaches.

Geoff biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.