Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help! 3.2 won't start
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
AZ914
So... been trying to solve a no-start problem for a couple of weeks. The car had been sitting since spring (we park in the summer here) and I'm trying to get it going for the RRC and pretty much have about 2 days to work on it.

Background: Had a bad battery, wouldn't charge up to 12V or turn the starter... I've replaced that.

Right now: Starter turns and turns and turns, car doesn't fire. Fuel or spark, right?

1. Fuel pump running, I checked that I had fuel with the test valve on the 3.2, fuel comes shooting out when the pump is running.
2. I swapped out the DME relay to see if that was it, no change.
3. I put a timing light on the coil wire while hitting the starter.... no light
4. I plugged my ECU into Mike's harness and it started his car, so its not the ECU.
5. I tested the coil wire for continuity.. that was fine.
6. I tested the + and - side of the the coil and had 12 V there & w/ignition.
7. I put a spark plug tester on the coil wire (in case the timing light trick didn't work). nothing there.
8. I swapped out a different coil, no change.
9. Checked fuses - good.

So, assuming that my coil wire tests (3,5,7) were valid, I'm not getting spark to the distributor, or am I completely missing something..
Keep in mind, my diagnostic skills are not spectacular.

Any help is appreciated.
phatnine11
AZ914,
Check the cylinder head temp sensor and also make sure the speed sensor pickup that uses the flywheel is still good and adjusted to the right gap.
Mike Bellis
Isn't there an ignition module on that motor? DME triggers module, module triggers coil...
SLITS
No Spark 3.2 Bird Board
Elliot Cannon
You usually just trailer it any way. What's the problem? happy11.gif
Madswede
Ah yes! Reference sensors! That was what I was trying to describe over on ClubNARP. Seems likely candidate(s) to me, especially after reading that excellent article on the Bird site. Good luck Jason!
AZ914
Thanks for the posts guys.. Bathe cyl temp sensor looks good visually but I will do a closer inspection. I doubt the gap on the sensors changed but one may have gone bad. I will try to test in the morning. Thanks for the link Ron.
buck toenges
Check the speed sensor and reference sensor. Had the same problem. My mechanic said the sensors were fine. They weren't. I think I checked the ohms. One was fine the other kept on climbing. Funny thing was after I replaced the one the other went bad. I don't know if the bird post talks about bmw sensors for the motronic unit but they are cheaper and work fine.
Buck
AZ914
Ron/Buck, etc..
Well... It looks like the speed sensor. I took an OHM meter to it, tested at the plug in the engine bay and at the DME pins. They are supposed to read 960 +- 96 ohms each. My reference sensor was at 1045.. my speed sensor didn't read a thing (open).

Now the trick is to find a speed sensor and get it by tomorrow.

Buck, the article Ron linked to on Pelican discusses the BMW sensor, you are correct.

THANKS GUYS! Hopefully that is the last issue in this saga at least smile.gif
MoveQik
QUOTE(AZ914 @ Aug 29 2013, 07:31 AM) *

Ron/Buck, etc..
Well... It looks like the speed sensor. I took an OHM meter to it, tested at the plug in the engine bay and at the DME pins. They are supposed to read 960 +- 96 ohms each. My reference sensor was at 1045.. my speed sensor didn't read a thing (open).

Now the trick is to find a speed sensor and get it by tomorrow.

Buck, the article Ron linked to on Pelican discusses the BMW sensor, you are correct.

THANKS GUYS! Hopefully that is the last issue in this saga at least smile.gif

Since you need it now, check PMS. I can pick it up if that helps in any way.
AZ914
Thanks for the offer Mike. I'll call a couple of shops in town once they open. If no luck, I'll just get it overnighted from Pelican.. probably cheaper than PMS that way biggrin.gif
Cap'n Krusty
Tried Autohausaz?

The Cap'n
AZ914
And.... It runs! I thought pulling the speed sensor would be a 30 minute job. WRONG!! What a PITA. Anyways... 3 hours later and I'm golden. I'll try to get a few more miles in before the trip. Something is funky with my trans 1st and rev.. I really need to baby it. I'll deal with that after the RRC.
Sleepin
Awesome Jason! I am glad you figured out with the help of some of the esteemed members of this site (and the one cranky old fart).

biggrin.gif We'll see you in a few days!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.