Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dealings with Aircooled.net
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jwalters
biggrin.gif Has anybody here gotten the 1.8 L pistons and cylinders from aircooled???

Has anybody had any adverse reactions with aircooled??

Does anybody have a set of new or really good 1.8 P&C kits - or - A set of 96's just lying around waiting to be sold???

Getten parts for my engine is killing me--its the last thing I gotta do---military pay, while I am not complaining--is not great.......

I need good engine stuff--I can barely pay for the heads right now, could anybody help me out? Maybe somebody who bought a bunch of stuff and then changed their minds to going to nickies and the like......

Thanks in advance for any help--and if you are ever in the Miami area, look me up--I am a mechanic on the CG Falcon jets, and I could get you a VIP flight in the airframe of your choice: Falcon jet or 65 dolphin helicopter that the Coast Guard uses.

beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif
URY914
I've always had very good dealings with them.

PS. I lived in Davie for awhile. Are you stationed at the Opa Locka airport?

South Florida is like no where else wacko.gif

Paul
jwalters
QUOTE(URY914 @ Dec 11 2004, 01:50 PM)
I've always had very good dealings with them.

PS. I lived in Davie for awhile. Are you stationed at the Opa Locka airport?

South Florida is like no where else wacko.gif

Paul

wink.gif Yea man--Opa Locka--and I live in Davie---SMALL world!!

I love it down here--nowhere else on the planet is there a more dense conglomerate of freaks to watch. wacko.gif blink.gif biggrin.gif laugh.gif

Yea, it is good.
URY914
A whole lota drugs flew into that airport in the '70-'80's.
Paid for a lot of Porsches.

Paul
Dr Evil
Since when can Coasties get VIP flights for strangers? I was stationed at San Francisco working on the 65s untill 2000, and we never had that oppertunity. I wish. Are you flight mech qualified yet? Whats your rate? I wonder if you are stationed with anyone that I went to A-school with. I was incharge of the hobby shop in SFO also (more like a garage for my first teener). Hows the hobby garage where you are?
jwalters
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 11 2004, 01:59 PM)
Since when can Coasties get VIP flights for strangers? I was stationed at San Francisco working on the 65s untill 2000, and we never had that oppertunity. I wish. Are you flight mech qualified yet? Whats your rate? I wonder if you are stationed with anyone that I went to A-school with. I was incharge of the hobby shop in SFO also (more like a garage for my first teener). Hows the hobby garage where you are?

wink.gif Hey bud! Yea man the command is real good about stuff like that--it would of course have to be a non-opertional mission--R/T mins--it is not done often--takes a special request to go thru. I am an AMT2 on the falcons--I jumped ship from the navy years back, wish I knew about the guard befored I joined that branch. I love being a landlubber!!!! Give me some names of your a school chums and I'll let you know if I know any of em.... beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif
Mueller
I've bought a few things from them, decent prices and good support....

too bad you don't have a 2.0, I'm going to have a set of flat top euro spec 2.0 pistons and cylinders for sale pretty soon...they are the cheap asian import units, but they work fine...3 p/cs have a few hundred miles on them, 1 p/c set has 0 miles on it.
jwalters
QUOTE(Mueller @ Dec 11 2004, 02:31 PM)
I've bought a few things from them, decent prices and good support....

too bad you don't have a 2.0, I'm going to have a set of flat top euro spec 2.0 pistons and cylinders for sale pretty soon...they are the cheap asian import units, but they work fine...3 p/cs have a few hundred miles on them, 1 p/c set has 0 miles on it.

headbang.gif Dammit---that is what ALL the parts houses are telling me also... headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif
Mueller
there was someone selling 2.0 rods and a 2.0 crank in the classifieds pretty cheap...you don't "have" to have the 2.0 head, you can use your 1.8 heads
jwalters
QUOTE(Mueller @ Dec 11 2004, 02:47 PM)
there was someone selling 2.0 rods and a 2.0 crank in the classifieds pretty cheap...you don't "have" to have the 2.0 head, you can use your 1.8 heads

rolleyes.gif Yea, that was probably me--the crank needs repair--the rods need re-building--I have only so much $$$$ And to boot, my 66 mm crank and rods are in perfect condition, miced them out and perfectly round and to vw spec--so I am trying to use waht I already have that is good.

It just sucks that VW p/c sets for this motor are 400% as costly as that "other" vw motor--- headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif
carambola
just a heads up ... it's cold and rainy in cape may
anthony
Since you have a 1.8, why don't you have your cylinders honed to 96mm and then get some nice Keith Black pistons? That would put you at 1911cc, probably cost less than a new P&C set and the resulting quality should be higher if you get someone good to hone the cylinders and fit the pistons. (I think Jake Raby or Rimco will do this kind of thing for you.)
rickyhgarcia
Within 4 to 5 months, I am upgrading my engine with Nickies. Installed in my engine is a set of European p&c for the 2 liter displacement. I wouldn't know what to do with them, so if you are interested make me an offer. The aircraft ride sounds great too...I am an Aerospace Engineer who used to work in the F-16 factory in Texas.

The engine has less than 10K miles since I installed the p&c set, they were installed in my engine in '94.

My car is in the Miami area, and although I live outside of the country, I visit my car every two to three months.
jwalters
QUOTE(anthony @ Dec 11 2004, 03:11 PM)
Since you have a 1.8, why don't you have your cylinders honed to 96mm and then get some nice Keith Black pistons? That would put you at 1911cc, probably cost less than a new P&C set and the resulting quality should be higher if you get someone good to hone the cylinders and fit the pistons. (I think Jake Raby or Rimco will do this kind of thing for you.)

wink.gif yea thanks, I am going to check in on that. beer.gif
jwalters
QUOTE(rickyhgarcia @ Dec 11 2004, 03:15 PM)
Within 4 to 5 months, I am upgrading my engine with Nickies. Installed in my engine is a set of European p&c for the 2 liter displacement. I wouldn't know what to do with them, so if you are interested make me an offer. The aircraft ride sounds great too...I am an Aerospace Engineer who used to work in the F-16 factory in Texas.

The engine has less than 10K miles since I installed the p&c set, they were installed in my engine in '94.

My car is in the Miami area, and although I live outside of the country, I visit my car every two to three months.

biggrin.gif Man that is VERY nice of you!! But alas, I have the small crank..........
John Kelly
John, at aircooled.net has a really good reputation for taking care of his customers.

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
jwalters
QUOTE(John Kelly @ Dec 11 2004, 03:31 PM)
John, at aircooled.net has a really good reputation for taking care of his customers.

John www.ghiaspecialties.com

smilie_pokal.gif aktion035.gif
Dr Evil
Sounds like the Cape May I remember. I went to boot camp from Aug to Oct. Very rainy.

Jwalters, ask anyone in the tweek (AVT) shop if they knew a guy named Lesniak (lez-nee-ak). I was in when they switched all of the ratings (was an AT).

Hijack over wink.gif
rickyhgarcia
Man that is VERY nice of you!! But alas, I have the small crank..........

Thanks, just trying to help..... biggrin.gif

Since I am going 102mm Nickies, rods and crank may have to go also. I still do not know all the details of the new engine...keep in touch and we may work out something good.
eeyore
It was Bondo that was selling the crank, p's and c's. 3 cylinders are OEM, 1 is ???.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...21219&hl=engine

I don't think there is a difference between 1.8 and 2.0 cylinders other than 93mm vs 94mm bore. Take rickyhgarcia up on the offer. If he sends the entire motor to Jake, Jake could pull the cylinders, bore them and send them to you (gosh I'm generous with other people's time). Better than shipping 40-60 lbs from California.

Regardless of crank, I'd bore the cylinders out to 96mm and get the KBs from AC.net.

(I just can't bring myself to throw in gratuitous exclamation points!!!)
Joseph Mills
QUOTE(jwalters @ Dec 11 2004, 02:59 PM)
biggrin.gif  Has anybody here gotten the 1.8 L pistons and cylinders from aircooled???

Has anybody had any adverse reactions with aircooled??

I've found aircooled.net to be real solid to deal with.

John connolly stood behind an electrical product I purchased with no questions asked. Just good customer service.
jwalters
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 11 2004, 03:36 PM)
Sounds like the Cape May I remember. I went to boot camp from Aug to Oct. Very rainy.

Jwalters, ask anyone in the tweek (AVT) shop if they knew a guy named Lesniak (lez-nee-ak). I was in when they switched all of the ratings (was an AT).

Hijack over wink.gif

wink.gif Will do--I have added you to my list--let you know... beer.gif
jwalters
smilie_pokal.gif Thanks to all that responded with the positives--it really helps out!!!! beer.gif beerchug.gif beer.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.