Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What Would You Do? Vin# on Pink Different
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jeffs9146
I rented a trailer to pick up a 914 but when I got the pink slip and compared it to the cars VIN it looked like the DMV person had dislexia and reversed the last two digits!! WTF.gif

As far as DMV in conserned this will be considered a different car!

The cars Vin is 4702911376 and the pink says 4702911367!

I told the guy to try and figure out how to fix the problem and I will come back for the car but the trailer cost me $50 to rent and it will cost another $50 to do it again!

Would you purchase the car with the vin mismatched or wait until the seller fixes the title?

JeffBowlsby
No. Then Yes...in answer to your questions. And when he finally sells it to you, deduct the $50 you paid for the first trailer due to his error.
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Aug 29 2013, 05:28 PM) *

No. Then Yes...in answer to your questions. And when he finally sells it to you, deduct the $50 you paid for the first trailer due to his error.

But would you purchase it before the vin issue is resolved or wait until he fixes it?

I was planning on deducting the trailer cost!
JeffBowlsby
Walk away...Run away....its a title issue. Could be simple, could be stolen....either way it is his problem. He will need to go to DMV with the car to clear up the issue and hopefully get a new title.
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Aug 29 2013, 05:36 PM) *

Walk away...Run away....its a title issue. Could be simple, could be stolen....either way it is his problem. He will need to go to DMV with the car to clear up the issue and hopefully get a new title.

Thats what I thought so I told him to call me when it is worked out! But I don't want to loose out on a running 914 for $500! I could cut it up! idea.gif sawzall-smiley.gif beer.gif
billh1963
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Aug 29 2013, 09:14 PM) *

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Aug 29 2013, 05:36 PM) *

Thats what I thought so I told him to call me when it is worked out! But I don't want to loose out on a running 914 for $500! I could cut it up! idea.gif sawzall-smiley.gif beer.gif

Don't let greed override common sense. With a car with the wrong title you are only buying trouble....Not a car. It wouldn't be worth it to me.
jim_hoyland
Do the window vin plate, door sticker, and passenger fender stamping match ?
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Aug 29 2013, 06:44 PM) *

Do the window vin plate, door sticker, and passenger fender stamping match ?

Yes everything matches but the pink has the two last digits reversed!

The car was salvaged due to a minor front end colision. I am going to guess that when they car was "inspected" they wrote last two digits wrong to issue the new "Salvage Title"!
PRS914-6
If it was a legit mistake it is easy to resolve. Go to DMV and explain and they will run a search on the correct VIN. If the correct VIN is registered to someone else let it go. If not a simple correction document is filed and you are done. This happened to me with a Jetski and it was pretty easy to resolve. Probably an innocent mistake since the numbers are so close.
r_towle
It's a parts car.
Buy it, strip it, cut it up and throw out the sheet metal you don't want.

You can scrap pieces of a car, just not the whole thing without a title.

Rich
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Aug 29 2013, 07:00 PM) *

If it was a legit mistake it is easy to resolve. Go to DMV and explain and they will run a search on the correct VIN. If the correct VIN is registered to someone else let it go. If not a simple correction document is filed and you are done. This happened to me with a Jetski and it was pretty easy to resolve. Probably an innocent mistake since the numbers are so close.

I did try to call DMV but the hold time was 48-60 minutes so I hung up! I may try to stop by tomorrow and just ask them.......like that will be quick blink.gif !
sixnotfour
oops wrong thread icon_bump.gif
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 29 2013, 07:12 PM) *

It's a parts car.
Buy it, strip it, cut it up and throw out the sheet metal you don't want.

You can scrap pieces of a car, just not the whole thing without a title.

Rich

I thought about that but I think I can just put a right front strut, that I have, on it and flip it! The guy doesn't work on cars himself so he is just selling it cheap to get it out of his driveway!
r_towle
Then fix the title first.
jim_hoyland
Auto Club is your DMV friend. smile.gif
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Aug 29 2013, 07:26 PM) *

Auto Club is your DMV friend. smile.gif

AAA used to be my friend but now they charge $10 for each document submitted and will not deal with any VIN related issues! mad.gif
CptTripps
It could be a simple mistake...or it could be something much worse. You don't want any part of this until it's resolved.
SLITS
Instead of waiting on hold, use the DMV callback feature. I use it all the time and they have never failed to call back within a couple of hours.
biosurfer1
QUOTE(SLITS @ Aug 30 2013, 05:52 AM) *

Instead of waiting on hold, use the DMV callback feature. I use it all the time and they have never failed to call back within a couple of hours.

+1. Don't know why everyone doesn't have this feature. Only problem I had once was when a similar call center finally called back 3 hours later, I forgot what I called about biggrin.gif
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Aug 30 2013, 07:38 AM) *

+1. Don't know why everyone doesn't have this feature. Only problem I had once was when a similar call center finally called back 3 hours later, I forgot what I called about biggrin.gif

I would have normaly, but I was standing in the driveway at 4:00 with a rented trailer and I had to decide if I was going to risk doing it myself or telling them to take care of it!

I decided to walk away until they figure it out!
76-914
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Aug 30 2013, 07:38 AM) *

av-943.gif lol-2.gif happy11.gif Unfortunately I can relate to that.
Jaymann
A 500.00 dallor 914 is either a great deal,or more likely a parts car.Jason from PA
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.