Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone remember the MEV days?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GaroldShaffer
So in a box of parts that came with the racecar I picked up Friday I found The Fall 1990 issue of Mid-Engined View (MEV). This was a quarterly publication of The Porsche 914 Owners Association & The Porsche 914-6 Club USA. Somewhere in our attic is a box that has I think the last few issues of MEV (95-96?).

Reading it a few things stood out to me. The comment about how high gas prices, $1.50 a gallon up from $.97 the year earlier, might cause some to drive their beloved 914 less. The ads from RAYCO body kits, Tweeks, Stoddards, AA, California Concepts, Beach Boys Racing, & Parts Heaven.

The tech Session area where George answered question people had on their cars. It is 34 pages and over all a great read.

The editing staff in 1990 was:

Editor - Dennis Deeds
Staff Writer - Helmut Vogel
Tech Advisor - George Hussey
Historian - L. Trevor St. Claire
Graphic Art - Debra Anunti
Photography - Sheryl Singer - Deeds

Dion
Nice find Garold. Have a few on the bookshelf myself.
Was a nice periodical for the time before the NET.
racerbvd
I have some too, does that make me old???
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(racerbvd @ Aug 29 2013, 10:02 PM) *

I have some too, does that make me old???

Well it makes some of us old. biggrin.gif
r_towle
Amazing how long Hussey has been supporting these cars.

Many of the rest are out of the 914 business now.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Aug 29 2013, 06:42 PM) *
Editor - Dennis Deeds

He is still collection membership dues for his "club" ...
blink.gif
GeorgeRud
Though the Internet has completely replaced this type of communication, I remember how great it was to get my copy of MEV with it's tech tips.

If I look somewhere, I'm sure I have my copies down in the bowels of our house, along with my old R&Ts, C&Ds, and SCG magazines!

Yes, we are showing our age!
914-300Hemi
I think they still publish it but now it comes to your email. Always a great read. I have couple of them stored in my closet.
jhora
Wow...yes I do remember MEV...look what I found in an old filing cabinet in the basement...and yes we are getting old smile.gif
mepstein
I bought the cd of all the old issues. It was a fun read. I gave it to Pat when he lost all his paper isses in his basement flood.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(jhora @ Aug 30 2013, 08:48 AM) *

Wow...yes I do remember MEV...look what I found in an old filing cabinet in the basement...and yes we are getting old smile.gif

The red car pictured in the inset of the VW&P cover was built by a local friend of mine. Its currently owned by another customer. smile.gif
A short article I wrote was published in MEV sometime around 1986-87.
914Sixer
I am another old guy that remembers MEV too. It was one of the few places for parts.
GeorgeRud
Along with PB Tweeks, Electrodyne, Performance Products, Scona, and a host of others that have been bought up or closed down over the years. There used to be a lot more choices of where to buy parts and collect catalogs!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.