Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Air Conditioning - R134A Substitute
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
euro911
I recently joined the SubaruVanagon Yahoo Group to get specific info on doing my '84 'Westy' conversion. I just read the following post about air conditioning systems and refrigerants:

"A subie conversion buddy turned me onto this refrigerant, Eco-Safe 12a, alot better the R134 which really doesn't get all that cold.

Apparently molecularly the R134 is so different than the old R12 our systems are designed for, that R134 won't get cold enough to be effective. This Eco-Safe 12a will get very cold and the ratio of replacement is 6oz of ES-12a = 16oz of R134."

Sounds good. Anybody here have any real world experience with this gas?

http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/subaruv...rsations/topics
GeorgeRud
There are several refrigerants on the market, and the one I've had experience with is called Duracool. I believe it's the same thing that you found.

It seems to actually work very well in the old R-12 systems, and is a direct replacement. There is a lot of controversy about how legal it is to use in automobiles, but I know folks are having good luck with these products.
timothy_nd28
Virgin r12 is superior to these blend refrigerants. You can't just drop in this refrigerant unless the car has a fixed metering device. Most modern cars don't, they have a h block or txv valves. The sensing bulb on these modulating expansion valves use 134a which will have a different temp glide than r12.
euro911
QUOTE(nsyr @ Aug 30 2013, 05:47 PM) *
Got it.

Checked this out too:

http://autorefrigerants.com/envirofaq.htm

Q: Is Enviro-Safe ™ Refrigerant compatible with other refrigerants?

A: This answer is actually twofold. Yes, it is compatible with all other refrigerants and will not harm the system. In the United States though, it is currently not legal to mix different types of refrigerants together. Intentionally mixing Enviro-Safe™ Refrigerant with another refrigerant unlike itself is not in accordance with the USEPA.

Q: Is Enviro-Safe ™ Refrigerant compatible with all refrigerant oils?

A: Yes, Enviro-Safe™ is totally compatible with all refrigerant oil available today. It can be used with Mineral, Ester and PAG oils without incompatibility.

Q: Can I legally mix Enviro-Safe ™ Refrigerant with R-12 or HFC-134a?

A: The United Sates Environmental Agency (EPA) prohibits the mixing of certain types of refrigerant that are not already "pre-approved mixes". Although mechanically there is no risk of incompatibility, there is legislation that prohibits such acts. (Although it will certainly work well as a replacement for either R-12 or 134a, if your car is still an R-12 unit it would first have to be defined as a 134a or other type of non-ozone-depleting unit before you could legally install it).

Q: Is it legal to use Enviro-Safe ™ Refrigerant in automotive applications?

A: Yes, when used as a HFC-134a replacement there is no need to change any hoses, oil, o-rings or compressors. Enviro-Safe™ recommends you contact the U.S.E.P.A. or refer to the U.S.E.P.A. website for information concerning your individual application.

Q: Is Enviro-Safe ™ Refrigerant approved by the USEPA?

A: No. Enviro-Safe™ Refrigerant has not been submitted to replace R-12 in automotive applications. The USEPA Clean Air Act regulates the replacement of ozone depleting products (such as R-12) with non-ozone depleting products (i.e. HFC-134a). The USEPA does not and cannot regulate non-ozone depleting substances (i.e. Enviro-Safe™ Refrigerant) to replace other non-ozone depleting substances (HFC-134a). Therefore, Enviro-Safe™ Refrigerant does not require “approval” to be used or sold as a HFC-134a replacement.

Q: Is Enviro-Safe ™ Refrigerant environmentally safe?

A: Absolutely! Enviro-Safe™ Refrigerants are organic, non-ozone depleting, non-toxic compounds. These types of refrigerants are endorsed by the GreenPeace organization and are in full compliance with the UN Montreal Protocol.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.