Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SoCal Fun Run recap
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Aaron Cox
Heres my recap of the day....

everyone showed up at 10:00 this morning... 7 cars total (what happened to everyone else??? wacko.gif ) couple people from San diego, and deckman from Ojai came down in his JLO flared car. We take off up the hills, fly through some twisties when we realize we lost bernie in his yellow teener. i go back and find him.... The pully on the fan had sheared off.... bernies son stays with the car while the rest of us soldier on to a gas station for bernie to call a tow. refill, bernie stays at the gas station waiting for his tow, and wishes us a happy trip. we continue on up ortega chasing cars up the hill, we see the caterham club at the lookout. wave, and keep on going.... we crest the hill and realize we lost Johnny in his black 1.7... find the nearest turnout and wait. turns out his fuel pump is dying....runs 12 minutes, then no pressure...this cycle contiued on the rest of ortega... we make it to the I-5 freeway in san juan capistrano and his car quits in traffic sad.gif ... wait a few minutes and finish the trip.

saw some of the 911 guys when his car quit again on PCH.. they said they were looking for us smile.gif

we went on to ruby's diner about 1 oclock, ate a mighty fine meal.... and went our seperate ways.....

Other people had cameras..... post away guys.....

had a great time..hope you all did too!
hope johnny made it back to S.D. with his fuel pump ohmy.gif

longday.....im taking a nap wacko.gif
Aaron Cox
bernies misfortune sad.gif
IPB Image
IPB Image
jwalters
confused24.gif Hey Aaron--does Bernie have those fiberglass bumpers? If so, how good a quality are they??? beer.gif
Aaron Cox
they looked good... youd have to ask him though...

he posts as Bernbomb
jwalters
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Dec 11 2004, 04:21 PM)
they looked good... youd have to ask him though...

he posts as Bernbomb

biggrin.gif Thanks man--wish I was there to run with you fellas--sounded like a killer ride..... beer.gif
JohnM
My bad fellas. I had what I thought might be a vapor lock type problem the day before the run and as it had never stopped before and it did well on the freeway up to Corona I thought I could do the run.

In retrospect, over the last couple of months I had noted a 2-3 lb fluctuation in fuel pressure that seemed to be heat related but it never cut out completely and I compensated with the pressure regulator to keep the pressure in spec at temperature.

Made it back to SD non stop on the 5. Had a 5-10 min period of congestion forcing me down to 2nd/3rd gear so I moved over to the far right lane but it kept running with no failures on the way home. Definite heat problem with the fuel pump--time for replacement and relocation. Glad to have the in-line guage to help see the problem. Sorry for the trouble and many thanks for the help pushing my car out of traffic!
John
siverson
Yeah, it was a fun time despite the heavier than normal traffic. This is the first time I remembered to bring my camera, so I think I ended up being the run's photo journalist. I got a lot of pictures of the super-flared car and the Miata, because they are in front of or behind me basically the whole time.

Here they are in 640x480:
http://www.streamload.com/steve/914/2004-1...un_run/640x480/

Here are the original if you care (big, about 1MB each):
http://www.streamload.com/steve/914/2004-1..._run/originals/

And a select few below...

beginning of trip:
user posted image

first "rest" area:
user posted image

pulling out of AMPM:
user posted image

second rest area:
user posted image

our fearless leaders car:
user posted image

big flare and little flare:
user posted image

always super clean:
user posted image

And a gratituous shot of my car:
user posted image

-Steve
Aaron Cox
very nice pics steve
siverson
Oh, this is a weird photo, huh? Looks like aliens (Rich?) are trying to abduct Aaron's car... No photoshopping or anything, this is just how it turned out.

-Steve

user posted image
Dr Evil
Jonny,
I already PMed you about helping you fix your car rolleyes.gif At least it wasn't the tranny smilie_pokal.gif

Man I cant wait to get me car running. I miss fun runs sad.gif
siverson
Or maybe that wasn't Aaron's car because he went back for help at that time...

-Steve
Aaron Cox
aliens were abducting Ed's car
bryanthompson
What tach is this? I like it a lot!
http://www.streamload.com/Deliver/Deliver....deID%3D68442503
bryanthompson
This is a pretty cool pic.
siverson
Yeah, those guage pics were totally accidental. Didn't think it would be quite that reflective.

It's a 964/993 tach w/ OBC (on board computer). They came in the Tiptronic and Turbo cars as standard, optional on the others. I have most of the OBC functions working as well - digital speedo (as seen in that pic - 47 mph), avg speed, outside temp, and trip distance.

-Steve
bernbomb914
more pic at the starting point
bernbomb914
my son drove my car to the gas station after about an hour of waiting
bernbomb914
It was a great day
bernbomb914
yy
bernbomb914
yes the bumpers are fiberglass, Rennsport
bernbomb914
qq
bryanthompson
QUOTE(siverson @ Dec 11 2004, 07:54 PM)
Yeah, those guage pics were totally accidental. Didn't think it would be quite that reflective.

It's a 964/993 tach w/ OBC (on board computer). They came in the Tiptronic and Turbo cars as standard, optional on the others. I have most of the OBC functions working as well - digital speedo (as seen in that pic - 47 mph), avg speed, outside temp, and trip distance.

-Steve

Wow, I did some lookin' aroundand found this: http://p-car.com/diy/obc/
and looked up the part number...

a $1200 tach?!?! hooooly crap!!! pray.gif pray.gif
cool.gif
boxstr
Has anyone said anything to Bernie about his front turn signal lenses??
CCLINUPSIDEDOWN
siverson
> a $1200 tach?!?! hooooly crap!!!

Maybe from Porsche. But they aren't too hard to find at any swap meet for $50-$150... (I think I paid $75)

What's harder to find is the connector on the harness for this tach. Lotsa wires, and everyone wants to make you buy the whole dash harness. But enough hunting and they'll turn up...

-Steve
bernbomb914
thanks for telling me

Bernie wacko.gif
Joe Bob
Bradholio, a German guy and Briget came by my house and said they were gonna meet up with you at Ruby's....they make it?
AlexO
Gotta admit, this run was much more interesting than the last.... Something about stopping all the cars in the middle of the road cause we had a problem.

Showed what the clubs about again too..... Someone has trouble, we all stop in the middle of traffic to help out.... Gotta love it.
--Alex
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(mikez @ Dec 11 2004, 08:10 PM)
Bradholio, a German guy and Briget came by my house and said they were gonna meet up with you at Ruby's....they make it?

negatory....unless i they were there and didnt say hi confused24.gif
AlexO
Na, they couldn't have showed.... In Teeners, we woulda seen em.
--Alex
Brad Roberts
I didnt make it. I didnt have a ride. Birgit was close by but didnt say anything to anyone. I guess she waited around for a couple of hours. Sorry I missed out. Had some shit go down Friday night that I had to deal with. I'm now in San Diego for a meeting tommorrow morning. (its 10:22pm)

B
Type 4 Unleashed
Hey guys, I wanted to say HI, I was suprised to see a bunch of teeners on Ortega at one time, and everybody, waving. wavey.gif I was the one in the white flared 914, going the wrong way, I was going to turn around, and catch up, but I had things that had to get done. Maybe next time, I could tag along, if you have room for a junker? smash.gif

Richard
Aaron Cox
hope all is well in S.D. brad... guess we missed birgit by a half hour or so....
maybe next time.

Aaron
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(V6914 @ Dec 11 2004, 11:27 PM)
Hey guys, I wanted to say HI, I was suprised to see a bunch of teeners on Ortega at one time, and everybody, waving. wavey.gif I was the one in the white flared 914, going the wrong way, I was going to turn around, and catch up, but I had things that had to get done. Maybe next time, I could tag along, if you have room for a junker? smash.gif

Richard

that was you? very cool!!!!!

junker? probably nicer than a few of our cars smilie_pokal.gif
Type 4 Unleashed
It looks nice only from a distance, or in the dark.

Richard
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(V6914 @ Dec 11 2004, 11:39 PM)
It looks nice only from a distance, or in the dark.

Richard

i know the feeling! laugh.gif
Type 4 Unleashed
Or. how about a driving work in progress.

Richard
Sammy
I bailed from ruby's at around 1:00 pm, musta just missed you guys.
Here's some pics on the bird board of the run
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread....20&pagenumber=3
JohnM
A few pictures from the run.
JohnM
The sixers
JohnM
last one
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.