Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Etiquette
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KELTY360
So I'm in the post office checking my box when an older guy, who obviously saw me get out of the car, says: "Nice Porsh"

What is the correct response to this compliment?

1) It's a Por-sha.

2) It's not a real Por-sha.

3) It's not a real Porsh.

4) Thank you.

billh1963
Thank you
McMark
IPB Image
somd914
Thank You - he went out of his to acknowledge your car, accept the compliment.

Besides, we all know teeners are VWs, or at least I have been told that on numerous occasions. hissyfit.gif
Andyrew

Anything else and your being a pompous dick.

If someone says "nice VW" then maybe you can start by, "Thank you! It was actually physically built by the VW factory with many other VW's and Porsche's but its actually a Porsche 914 with an (insert engine here)"
jimkelly
thank you - for sure.

especially since I always say - porsch - my self.

just today I was pumping gas in my daily driver and next to me pumping gas were 2 dudes with Harleys. one was sweet, hard tail, springer front, frabric wrapped exhaust, ss air filter cover, brown swede single leather springed seat, red metal flake tan with gold leaf letter across the top - I had to say - nice bike - he said - thanks.
KELTY360
QUOTE(McMark @ Aug 30 2013, 03:06 PM) *

IPB Image

av-943.gif

I hear "Nice car" all the time...except for Greenie who calls it a POS...but I don't remember anyone calling it a Porsh and it struck me funny. BTW, I just said Thank You.
ConeDodger
Thanks...
zymurgist
4. Thank you.
Drums66
....thankyou "sir" idea.gif
bye1.gif PoRSH(did he have a mouth full)
popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
cwpeden
"Thanks" I usually start a conversation and slip the correct pronunciation in a few times. tongue.gif
Sleepin
6. Kick him in the nuts and tell him to stop looking at me. biggrin.gif

Main reason that I drive a crappy one, no one would bother to say that to me....lol!
Rand
Andyrew wins the answer contest. Now you need to go fish a nut oot of your tranny.
solex
Thank you
CptTripps
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Aug 30 2013, 06:11 PM) *

Anything else and your being a pompous dick.

+1!
SirAndy
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Aug 30 2013, 03:11 PM) *
If someone says "nice VW" then maybe you can start by, "Thank you! It was actually physically built by the VW factory with many other VW's and Porsche's but its actually a Porsche 914 with an (insert engine here)"

Except, none of that is true ..

Neither built by VW nor by Porsche.
shades.gif
Black22
agree.gif

Built by Karman...right?
JStroud
My understanding is: built by karman, designed by Porsche, built with a lot of VW parts

Thanks, your Buick is nice too lol-2.gif

Jeff
Andyrew
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 30 2013, 07:25 PM) *

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Aug 30 2013, 03:11 PM) *

Except, none of that is true ..

Neither built by VW nor by Porsche.
shades.gif

Karmahn,

Whatever tongue.gif, At that point your basically just correcting my grammar biggrin.gif
soltino
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Aug 30 2013, 03:00 PM) *

So I'm in the post office checking my box when an older guy, who obviously saw me get out of the car, says: "Nice Porsh"

1) It's a Por-sha.

4) Thank you.

If you were to do #2 his "Nice Porsh" would be closer to the correct pronunciation of the way the family prefers.

tino hissyfit.gif
skeates
Only thing anyone ever said about mine at the gas station is when someone asked "is it supposed to smoke like that?" to which I replied "I know you are but what am I" and drove away in a cloud of smoke...
jeffdon
I find the older I get, and the more thumbs up I get, the more I tend to give to ALL types of gearheads wave and a thumbs up, as long as its cool, or unique, or just maybe a good specimen of an auto genre of a particular type.

And the appreciation usually gets returned. We all love our rides!
dlkawashima
QUOTE(soltino @ Aug 30 2013, 09:23 PM) *

If you were to do #2 his "Nice Porsh" would be closer to the correct pronunciation of the way the family prefers.

tino hissyfit.gif

Watch this video and you'll see it's clear the family prefers "Por-sha".
In fact, everyone in this video says "Por-sha" not "Porsch".

If you don't have time to watch the whole thing, fast forward to ....

1:00 - Wolfgang Porsche
15:42 - Daniell Porsche (grandson of Ferry Porsche)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEFTvMzNArc
r_towle
Just say thanks....geez

I get that with the 911 also....
It's just a car and no need to correct people.

Abel ( rocket) wears a shirt that shows its two syllables.....
In huge letters...
green914
agree.gif Thanks!
Bleyseng
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Aug 30 2013, 08:20 PM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Aug 30 2013, 03:06 PM) *

IPB Image

av-943.gif

I hear "Nice car" all the time...except for Greenie who calls it a POS...but I don't remember anyone calling it a Porsh and it struck me funny. BTW, I just said Thank You.

I'd say you need to get out of Renton more often!
John1180
I'd say you need to get out of Renton more often!

Ya, I hear Burien's nice!
Shindog1961
I get I like your Triumph almost as often.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(skeates @ Aug 30 2013, 10:11 PM) *

Only thing anyone ever said about mine at the gas station is when someone asked "is it supposed to smoke like that?" to which I replied "I know you are but what am I" and drove away in a cloud of smoke...

I used to use that phrase all the time. When I was in the seventh grade. av-943.gif poke.gif
blitZ
Yup, at least he recognized it.

QUOTE(Shindog1961 @ Aug 31 2013, 11:00 AM) *

I get I like your Triumph almost as often.

Kraftwerk
Ask what they are driving, and what ever they tell you, say:
Wanna trade?
Spoke
"Nice Fiat"

"Thank you"
soltino
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Aug 30 2013, 11:36 PM) *

tino hissyfit.gif

That confirms what I posted so I stand by my statement.

To reiterate: Porsh is closer than Por-sha.

Not debating whether it is two syllables but that when you say porsh it sounds closer to the correct por-che than does por-sha. Say them and you should here my point.

tino

PanelBilly
Now if was a cute girl, would your response be different?
dlkawashima
QUOTE(soltino @ Aug 31 2013, 07:05 PM) *

Not debating whether it is two syllables but that when you say porsh it sounds closer to the correct por-che than does por-sha. Say them and you should here my point.

tino

Uh, no.
KELTY360
QUOTE(soltino @ Aug 31 2013, 07:05 PM) *

QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Aug 30 2013, 11:36 PM) *

tino hissyfit.gif

tino

Thank you...?
naro914
the 'e' in Porsche is subtle in German, but it is definitely there.. the 'e' sounding more 'eh' than 'ah'
I have had dinner with both Peter and Wolfgang, been in meetings with them, and been in their company many, many times dating back to 1994. The second syllable is definitely pronounced - different language, different pronunciation, but certainly there.

Back on topic...Thank You.. smile.gif

I get compliments all the time, but then again, how many 914's painted Sunoco Blue & Yellow with logos and decals all over it are stopping at gas stations in BFE around the Southeast??
DBCooper
Do you really care that much? For me it's "thanks" to everyone, and I rarely even correct people who call it a Fiat.

I've actually stripped all the manufacturer's identifiers off my car except the VIN plate, where it says Volkswagenwerke AG, and I don't correct people who call them Volks "Wagons" either. Too big a job to educate the whole world, tiny return, better things to do.

DBCooper
QUOTE(skeates @ Aug 30 2013, 10:11 PM) *

That's pretty funny, and I think we've all been there a time or two. Good one.
black73
I was gassing up the 914 one day when I could just feel someone looking at me. I looked around and saw the young lady in the car at the next pump with a big smile on her face, watching me in disbelief. About that time the guy putting gas in her car says,
"Man, I've seen some crazy stuff before, but I ain't never seen anybody raise the hood to put gas in the car!"
bembry
Hell---I call the damn thing a "Porsh"

Yes--I know it's incorrect. I even took years of German and lived in Germany for a while. Still car it a Porsh. Oh well.
DBCooper
You live in America, where that's permitted, even expected. I bet you're still nice to children and respectful to old people, so no problem.

Madswede
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Aug 30 2013, 04:00 PM) *

1) It's a Por-sha.

4) Thank you.

5) It's a Fiat. (if the guy has a sense of humor)

I've always just opted for "Thank You" in all honesty. Even when they've called it a "Fiat" ... I just gave up, figured they like the car and thanked them for the complement, unless it was obvious sarcasm - in which case I say nothing, and let the engine speak for itself. happy11.gif
r_towle
porch
naro914
Since Huey has a Porsche badge and PORSCHE written down the side, most people don't mistaken it for something else... plus it looks like a race car with all the decals so they really look at it..

I said most....

One person at a gas station said they used to have one of those Karman Ghia's, just like mine....

One couldn't believe I needed Super Unleaded for a Fiero... <sigh>
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.