Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 9146 oil tank holes???
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Kerrys914
I am getting ready to make a template for the hole cutting in my teener fo rthe OEM tank.

I measured each fitting/ connection and the largest one I have is just over 3" for the oil filter neck? I was expecting a 4" hole but that seems over kill?

Thoughts

Cheers
Kerry
Dr Evil
Ofcourse you will want the holes slightly bigger so you have some room to move. I used a 4" on the oil filter hole. Is the mouny wider? Root Works has a template that he can send you for the unmarked hole. I have yet to use it.....but soon, very soon.
Trekkor
I'll use a larger hole as well.

I will be using the ROOT template, too.

I'm looking for some plastic "U-channel" material to line the cut edges of the holes. Where can that be found?

KT
Kerrys914
Why do you need to line the holes?

ROOT, send me the file beer.gif
Trekkor
If I line the holes:

1. It'll look cool.
2. I'll never cut my lines.
3. I'll never cut myself wink.gif

KT
J P Stein
The proper size is 4". I used a 4" hole saw & half inch drill motor (I still have bruises from that operation) There is a factory gromet for the hole, GPR may still have them.
nickg
QUOTE(trekkor @ Dec 11 2004, 06:02 PM)
I'll use a larger hole as well.

I will be using the ROOT template, too.

I'm looking for some plastic "U-channel" material to line the cut edges of the holes. Where can that be found?

KT

door edging works well for that, just make sure you get the stuff hot enough to bend easily. or you can use the strip from the engine lid(the one that always falls off)
John
I take it for granted that since you are cutting those holes, that you are using 914-6 tanks. Where are you getting them???

How much are you spending?

That would be a nice clean hiding spot for a tank. I have always used round tanks for conversions. I always thought the factory tanks were too expensive and hard to obtain. Am I wrong??
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE(JOHNMAN @ Dec 12 2004, 12:07 AM)
I always thought the factory tanks were too expensive and hard to obtain. Am I wrong??

I use factory style tanks because the job ends up looking better, and that's what my customers want. In the scope of the cost of a six conversion three or four hundred dollars extra for a tank that really fits, and can use the factory tank grommets and hardware, is IMHO money well spent.

The factory tanks have grommets and a boot for the oil filter console, so you don't have raw metal edges.

I used quite a few of the Velios cast aluminum tanks, which I believe have some inductive cooling. Since they required larger than stock size holes, I used that press on rubber edge bead material with the metal reinforcement inside it. You can get that at boat shops and some upholstery shops.
Trekkor
I'm using the Velios tank.
I put threaded studs into the tank instead of bolts.
This way it will be easier to install and I can use thick rubber washers between the inner fender metal.

Perry, how much bigger do you like the holes to be?

KT
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.